Rabies Vaccination

Scarby

We are hoping to move to Perth in September, I was at the vets today and asked them to give the dog his booster without the lepto part of the jab, they then asked about if we would want a pet passport for him if we decided to bring him back to the UK so he wouldnt need to do quarantine if we returned - stupidly I said this was fine and then they gave him the rabies vaccination for the passport and am now panicking that he will not be able to travel to Australia in September as I have now been looking and they seem to have to have had this vaccine 6 months before they go to Australia? Any help greatly appreciated.

Celia

I think if its only a booster that you have had and you have all records of previous jabs for rabies i don't think the 6 month rule applies! Only if you are returning to the uk with no pet passport would you have the 6 month rule!!

We took our two boys over to oz, and we had no 6 month check rule, they could not travel until bloods came back and were given the ok! You could always contact one of the pet shipping companies and see what they say regarding these rules!

All the best Dawn!

Have you managed to resolve this? My vet suggested the pet passport too in case we ever were to come back. I can't find anywhere on the AQIS information pack for exporting from the UK, any reference to Rabies at all.

Not sure if this link will point you in the right direction regarding the pet passport and rabies jab (point 3) mentions this but there may be a link to follow it through with.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6551557_move-pet-australia.html

I'm sure this relates to export from the united states, I have just emailed AQIS because I want to be 100% certain, but reading information pack 2 on their website, which relates to UK- Australia export there is no mention of the rabies at all.

I want her to have the pet passport in case we ever do decide to come back, wouldn't want to see her in quarantine for 6 months or pay the costs for doing so either:wideeyed:

I'm sure this relates to export from the united states, I have just emailed AQIS because I want to be 100% certain, but reading information pack 2 on their website, which relates to UK- Australia export there is no mention of the rabies at all.

I want her to have the pet passport in case we ever do decide to come back, wouldn't want to see her in quarantine for 6 months or pay the costs for doing so either:wideeyed:

If you want to be 100% sure, i would go ahead and have the rabies jab done, Some jabs last for three years before you require the booster, others are a year, the passport will need to be kept up to date with the booster, Should you wish to return to the uk you would not need the 6 month quarantine period, however if you didn't have the passport done, the 6 month quarantine period can be split between oz and the uk, but there are not many quarantine kennels available in the uk so you would have to book in plenty of time and hunt around for one near where you would be returning to! If any any doubt get it done, i only say as we were silly enough not to get ours done even though our vet offered it to us, we were sure we would not be returning, i really wish we had taken his advise :wubclub: