Mountain Biking in Perth

Glin89

Thank very much guys thats excellent, got some time off work so im going to sit today and do some proper digging. were moving out in June time and my first priority will be the mountain biking haha (after the job and house and work and bank account and all the other boring stuff obviously haha). should be a good way to meet some people out there!

Pretty woeful and one of the reasons we moved back.

Yes, there are some off-road trails in the hills/Margaret River and the Kep Track was fairly enjoyable http://trailswa.com.au/trails/kep-track. They describe the Kep track as a multi-day cycle adventure - it isn't if you are actually a cyclist, we camped overnight near the start and were back in Perth the same day.

There is nothing to compare with Fort William or even Glentress/Innerleithan and we were there 5 years so we'd have found it if it existed.

Tolerance to the heat is a personal thing and I don't want to kick off an argument about it but we found the weather not really conducive to MTB - either too hot or too windy - Perth is one of the windiest cities in the world.

I think a lot depends on whether you are into Downhill or Cross Country - Downhill absolutely forget it in WA and maybe head to Tasmania or Victoria instead.

Cross Country depends on your level - Kalamunda which is probably the best place to go has less than 5km of black trails - compare that to 30km in Glentress alone

http://www.kalamundacollective.com.au/pages/trail-descriptions

Stay in Scotland!!!! You don't know what you've got until it's gone :)

Sorry I don't want to be negative but you do need to be realistic - I guess our mistake was to think we could continue with the things we enjoyed in Scotland and that is a sure way to become an unhappy migrant and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.

Hi!! Thanks very much for the advice lol, that's good that you obviously know what we have here and can offer a sound comparison.

As much as I enjoy my mountain biking I dont do anywhere near as much as id like and im not very near the skill lever required for Inners, im happy sticking to the red route at Glenners!

as for the stay in Scotland bit.. Nooo Wayyyy.. there would need to be ALOT more negatives other than a lack of beasty mountain bike trails to stop me going.

It breaks my heart to sell my mountain bike here before i go (need a new bike lol?) and it breaks my heart even more to think my new hobby might be more focused on road biking, but i enjoy cycling and getting out and about and its all about that for me.

We shall see what happens lol

again thank you very much your reply :)

Take no notice of the post above. It's complete bol***ks to put it bluntly.

I've ridden glentress and inners recently so can talk from experience. The trails here are different to Scotland, the lack of elevation is the biggest thing you'll notice. But the work that has been put into the trails far surpasses that of the uk trails. The features built at kalamunda are a lot of fun. Pemberton hosted the national series last year. And there's a 6 location Gravity enduro series about to kick off again. You'll probably have heard of Sam Hill. He's from round here, and still sometimes rides the events. He obviously struggled to find anything to ride :-)

Hi Joe, thanks very much for the info mate thats fantastic. yeah ive been doing a bit of research on the trails near perth. im based in glasgow so a 40 minute drive is no issues to get to the trails from perth. some of the trails and cross country stuff looks quite good. ive saved alot of website in my favourites and have just been going through them all. would be good to get involved in the enduro races and stuff like that. yeah ive heard of sam hill, cannot wait till the the UCI World Sup starts back again. been looking at bikes today aswell from some bikes shops in perth, unsure whether to stick to a full susser or go to a hardtail again

Agree with the weather thing in Perth. There's a good few months where you can't actually ride - just too hot. If you are that into it then Tassie is now ground zero for Mountain bikes in Aus. Other thing to look into if you are of that bent is the motorized version...... WA is pretty awesome for dirt bikes and heaps going on through winter. With the weather - just think of it like the UK but the other way round, winter is outdoor activity time and summer is in-doors / beach / chillin. And no, you will not be going MTB on a hot summers day in Perth - no matter what you may think now. Tassie never gets boiling - go there; it's awesome.

Hi Joe, thanks very much for the info mate thats fantastic. yeah ive been doing a bit of research on the trails near perth. im based in glasgow so a 40 minute drive is no issues to get to the trails from perth. some of the trails and cross country stuff looks quite good. ive saved alot of website in my favourites and have just been going through them all. would be good to get involved in the enduro races and stuff like that. yeah ive heard of sam hill, cannot wait till the the UCI World Sup starts back again. been looking at bikes today aswell from some bikes shops in perth, unsure whether to stick to a full susser or go to a hardtail again

No problem mate, good luck with the move over.

I'd say definitely stick to a full sus. It'll open up a lot more of the trails for you once you get here.

If you need anyone to show you round the trails when you get over feel free to get in touch

Hi!! Thanks very much for the advice lol, that's good that you obviously know what we have here and can offer a sound comparison.

As much as I enjoy my mountain biking I dont do anywhere near as much as id like and im not very near the skill lever required for Inners, im happy sticking to the red route at Glenners!

as for the stay in Scotland bit.. Nooo Wayyyy.. there would need to be ALOT more negatives other than a lack of beasty mountain bike trails to stop me going.

It breaks my heart to sell my mountain bike here before i go (need a new bike lol?) and it breaks my heart even more to think my new hobby might be more focused on road biking, but i enjoy cycling and getting out and about and its all about that for me.

We shall see what happens lol

again thank you very much your reply :)

If you are in the market for a decent bike when you get here you should be able to get one for a good price. There are always some good buys due to people upgrading. There are some great rides around perth without going too far. The trails around the camel farm are excellent and it's as hard as you want it to be. There's a lot of organised rides, mtb and road, including triathlons and adventure racing. Combine that with the opportunity for water sports and there's heaps to do. If you're coming in June the heat won't be a worry for mtb.

Agree with the weather thing in Perth. There's a good few months where you can't actually ride - just too hot. If you are that into it then Tassie is now ground zero for Mountain bikes in Aus. Other thing to look into if you are of that bent is the motorized version...... WA is pretty awesome for dirt bikes and heaps going on through winter. With the weather - just think of it like the UK but the other way round, winter is outdoor activity time and summer is in-doors / beach / chillin. And no, you will not be going MTB on a hot summers day in Perth - no matter what you may think now. Tassie never gets boiling - go there; it's awesome.

I know people that go mountain biking even when it's really hot. Just go a lot earlier, say 5:30am. It's light enough and you can be done and dusted by 11 and down the beach in the afternoon. Never really too hot for a road bike up the coast. Always a lot cooler near the ocean. Best of both worlds.

I know people that go mountain biking even when it's really hot. Just go a lot earlier, say 5:30am. It's light enough and you can be done and dusted by 11 and down the beach in the afternoon. Never really too hot for a road bike up the coast. Always a lot cooler near the ocean. Best of both worlds.

Yep this. Been out twice myself this week. Doesn't have to be a long xc slog. Just hit the down hill sections for a bit of fun if it's really warm