Driving Brisbane to Townsville - Inland

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I recently had to go to hospital in Brisbane, I decided to take my youngest son with me and drive back home to make it a holiday for him.

Here was the route we took and I drove 1876km

image.jpg

We based ourselves on the Gold Coast and drove up to the hospital, I wasn't looking forward to the drive but it wasn't that bad.

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Gold Coast - We decided to stay in Surfers Paradise as I had some business to do around the area so it was an easy base.

This was a holiday for my young one so it was based around what he wanted.

We stayed at the Mantra on View, a great hotel great price compared to FNQ prices. The best news for me is it was next door to the medical centre lol.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The weather was terrible, I don't know what it is about Brisbane and the Gold Coast but it always seems to rain when I'm there.

We decided to spend the first day in Timezone, an amusement arcade. It is great for kids and for something to do when it is raining.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A lot of the rides/games are red tokens which is a pain as there weren't many yellow. Although there was a huge pacman 4 player which I spent hours on.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

The little one likes fossicking so we decided to head off to Thunderbird Park, it was throwing it down so very disappointing. There were only us and a coach party of Year 12's who were there doing the rope course so he had the fossicking to himself. He said it wasn't very good and a lot of the good ones were kept behind the barriers. I sat in the cafe and let him get on with it. I have to say I really liked the place there seemed so much to do, the rope course, fossicking, golf, horse riding etc. I could happily go and stay there for a weekend. The young one wanted to do the rope course but it was too wet. http://www.thunderbirdpark.com

Guest The Pom Queen

The next day he wanted to go mining for opal and gold so we decided to head to Paradise Country, oh my what a terrible experience. Firstly it's quite a walk from the car park, ok for normal people but I had to keep sitting on the floor (no seats) When we got there I advised them we weren't bothered about the farm and my son just wanted to fossick and I would just sit in the cafe. She said we couldn't do that and offered us a special of $80, I said I wasn't paying that for half an hour and something that I wasn't doing. In the end she charged us $25 and I went to sit in the cafe whilst he went fossicking. Firstly when I went through to the cafe it was only 10am and it was full of Asians sat around doing nothing waiting for the BBQ to start at 12 they had paid for this as part of thei ticket. They were all very angry. I was told the fossicking was no better it was a small bag of dirt he got handed which had a little polished gem placed in. No opal and no gold.

I am so glad we didn't pay the $80 as we were only in there ten minutes. I wish we would have read trip advisor first.

https://themeparks.com.au/box-office/paradise-country.aspx

Guest The Pom Queen

Anywhere from GC I needed to go back to the hospital and we decided after we would head to the Sunshine Coast.

We eventually arrived at Noosa Heads, wow it was chaotic, I'm told it isn't so busy out of school holidays, everywhere had a minimum stay and we managed to find a cheap but lovely studio on the Main Street. Well I have now found somewhere that was on a par to Cairns, it was lovely. It would have been even better without the crowds. We checked in and walked to the beach, we sat there watching the sun come down and dolphins swimming around the surfers. It was beautiful I just missed my hubby.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I only had my iPhone so no zoom but you may see the dolphin above.

image.jpg

image.jpg

In Noosa you also have the river where you can hire boats, kayaks, paddle boards etc. Or just sit in a cafe watching everyone else.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I even had a go at horse riding I couldn't trot due to health issues but my son did and loved it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

From Noosa we went to pick up our new addition to the family, a properly trained security dog. I never wanted another dog, especially the way our health is but it seems if you don't have one in Townsville you can expect to get your car keyed or house broken in to. We had to do three days change over training and working him on the sleeve but he is fantastic and has a great temperament. In fact when we first met him we thought he was a totally different dog to what she had videoed and sent to us, but once the decoy arrived we saw different. What I like about security trained dogs is that they only bark on command, so he is as soft as anything around people.

image.jpg

He was excellent on the journey home and it was lovely being able to stay in pet friendly accommodation, although these days there isn't much around.

Our last stay on the coast road was Gladstone we then tracked inland towards Emerald and stayed two nights in Rubyvale. The little one loved it, fossicking everywhere for sapphires

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Around Rubyvale

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

From Rubyvale I drove up to Charters Towers and managed to drive across and home the same day. The inland road is fantastic and a lot faster than the Bruce, however, be warned there isn't anything on the road apart from roadkill and Roos trying to throw themselves in front of you, not forgetting the wild boar which were huge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Now I've a week to recover before my big op. I'm thoroughly exhausted. What took me over a week would have taken Rob two days when he was well.

Loved reading this thread. I went by road from Coolangatta to Airlie Beach about 25 years ago, only because there was a pilots strike on at the time. Not as enjoyable as your trip either, because it was by coach. But you've given me food for thought for the future. I've been to Noosa too and absolutely loved it. If and when I ever get my visa, I'll be around Victoria Point/Cleveland area, so I will probably think about a road trip similar to yours. Good luck with your op. :)