Our Queensland tour

Gbye grey sky

I don't know exactly where you are going but if you get up to Rockhampton try and get out to Mt Etna caves and do the bat cave walk, it is a guided walk and takes a good hour to walk to the actual caves. On dusk 1000s of bats fly out of Bat Cleff which is an opening in the mountain side. Waiting at the opening are various species of snake and even big frogs ready to grab those that come to close. Well worth the effort.

I don't know exactly where you are going but if you get up to Rockhampton try and get out to Mt Etna caves and do the bat cave walk, it is a guided walk and takes a good hour to walk to the actual caves. On dusk 1000s of bats fly out of Bat Cleff which is an opening in the mountain side. Waiting at the opening are various species of snake and even big frogs ready to grab those that come to close. Well worth the effort.

Thanks for this. Will add it to the return schedule as we come back south as it sounds interesting. We are rather flying past Rockhampton this weekend heading north on our way to Mackay.

Thanks for this. Will add it to the return schedule as we come back south as it sounds interesting. We are rather flying past Rockhampton this weekend heading north on our way to Mackay.

No worries, it may not be the type of thing that interests you but it really is a great night. Rockhampton itself has little to recommend it though. Just go into the town and find the tourist information and they will help sort it out.

No worries, it may not be the type of thing that interests you but it really is a great night. Rockhampton itself has little to recommend it though. Just go into the town and find the tourist information and they will help sort it out.

We spent a good while the previous night at the small Hervey Bay botannical gardens fascinated by, amongst other things, watching hundreds/thousands of fruit bats leaving their perches in the trees and fly above our heads. The wildlife and scenery here is amazing and we haven't scratched the surface yet.

We spent a good while the previous night at the small Hervey Bay botannical gardens fascinated by, amongst other things, watching hundreds/thousands of fruit bats leaving their perches in the trees and fly above our heads. The wildlife and scenery here is amazing and we haven't scratched the surface yet.

Yes, I love the wildlife, even the fruit bats. They are incredibly destructive unfortunately.

Have a squiz at Cape Hillsborough, where the rainforest "meets the sea".

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g4355027-d297138-Reviews-Cape_Hillsborough_Nature_Tourist_Park-Cape_Hillsborough_Queensland.html

Have a walk to an island at Seaforth...when the tide goes out, that is and have a squiz at the coral gardens next to the walkway; strong shoes needed.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g6902753-d3870377-Reviews-Seaforth_Holiday_Units-Seaforth_Queensland.html

Cheers, Bobj.

Tours only run in the summer so will have to pass on this one.

Guest The Pom Queen

Have to agree with @Bobj Cape Hillsborough is stunning. 8b4606a27ef66d3af7c5cc852793bb4b.jpg

a5596653ab18c233a0fcd25a7094c41e.jpg

d920cba2c1f25fa13edeb4258f0aa5bf.jpg

05c4aa1f09d9f750998ca8d592cfdd7f.jpg

d9799321d94396abb74e0fe7c5ede219.jpg

If you fancy staying in the cabins or camping here is a map of the resort

4fdd80d3feaa42dc62f69a2b52ab3b4e.jpg

Just one top tip if you walk across to the island stick to the path. My youngest decided we would take a short cut and I ended up bogged up to my knees in mum with the tide coming in around me.