All Things Australia! - best, worst, free, cheap, etc.

xnightingalex

Hey everyone! I'm heading to Australia for my first solo backpacking trip. There's a lot of information out there about backpacking Australia, but I wanted direct advice from people who have experienced Australia either by backpacking through the country or living there.

Basically, my questions are:

What are some free/cheap things to do in Australia?

What is worth spending extra money on?

What do you regret spending money on?

And please tell me some of your amazing experiences in Australia - hiking a rainforest, scuba diving vs. snorkeling the GBR, parks you liked or didn't, quirky places not typically talked of... I honestly want to hear what everyone has to say about Australia! What's overrated or touristry, what should be seen but typically isn't... anything you'd like to mention!

A bit about me is that I adore nature, so seeing the best rain forests/experiencing the Outback is important to me. Seeing wildlife would be awesome - I'm even considering shelling out $160 for a crocodile dive (has anyone done that?! Was it worth it?). Are the zoos worth visiting, or can you see wildlife outdoors anyway? I also love music and art, so any neat and cheap museums or outdoor art for free would be awesome to see. I realize this is really general, and if anyone doesn't want to share here, please feel free to PM me as well! I'm trying to get a ton if different ideas so I'm prepared for my WHV trip :)

You can walk over the Sydney Harbour Bridge for free, or pay ? $150 ? to do 'The Bridge Climb.' Take a ride on a ferry or bus, the way that the people who live here do, or pay more for an organised tour. Join a bush walking club and take part in a few of their walks, or pay for tour. Some of the tours might be worth it. I don't know. The hostels will all offer various activities, or travel agencies close by. I see there is a bus tour from Sydney to Carins which offers all sorts of experiences.

There's no 'right or wrong' way to 'do' Australia, or any other country, and it's fun to link up with like-minded fellow-travellers, but you won't meet so many 'locals' this way. So, perhaps, to to some 'ordinary' suburbs and towns and stay away from the usual back-packer haunts, at least some of the time.

I won't be joining you 'crocodile diving' though!

Hi there

Not sure about the crocodile diving !!! Each to their own.

My backpacking days were over ten years ago so couldn't help on cost of tours, but I did a few day trips as I was also travelling alone. I'm not sure I'd personally go for any tours longer than a few days myself, but that's just me.

Perth- day trip taking in Wave Rock , pinnacles, and get to cuddle a Koala, long long day, was it worth it, I thought so.

Day trip down the ocean road- defiantly worth it, I also shelled put for a helicopter trip on the tour and it was pretty amazing. Yarra valley wine region, also great and V pretty.

I bought a car and did a bit of travelling also, Bendigo in Victoria has/ had a gold mine you could go down, that was really interesting. Not on the backpacker trail perhaps ? I slept in the car in the snowy mountains too, quite an experience, it was a station wagon though, so

Put the back seats down and you have a double bed there !

Fraser Island is amazing, hired a 4wd and camped at lake Mackenzie which is stunning, saw a dingo and the shipwrecks, lovely place.

If you can get to an Island on the Barrier Reef, do it go snorkelling/ scuba diving if you can, I didn't backpack here so don't know if there are islands in the backpacker budget.

There's also lots of big things I. Australia Prawns, Avocados, guitars. All along the way.

Canberra - I found a visit to Parliament House really interesting, I just turned up and there were daily tours, but I have no idea if you can still do this.

Sydney- lived here for about 2 yrs( again over 10 yrs ago) you can walk and see most of the sights, just get a good guidebook, my personal favourite beaches are Manly and Tammarama, I always avoided Bondi, as I felt it was to crowded. But you can do a lot of walking round the coast there as I remember. Also if you can don't miss NYE in Sydney, we went to see the fireworks at midnight, cost nothing if you ignore the cost of alcohol.

As Maryrose02 said, get the ferry round the harbour. The Manly Ferry is a good one. Go to Watsons bay there is a great view of the harbour and there used to be a takeaway fish and chip shop attached to the restaurant there.

We have been to a few national parks and we've seen wildlife, lucky enough to see an Echidna in Sydney Royal National Park ( I think that's what it's called ), many of the less well known parks are lovely and you can really get off the beaten track especially if you camp and are willing to accept basic/ no utilities. Springbrook near where we are now is a prime example.

As for zoos, Taronga was great, but again visited a while ago, I have however been to Australia Zoo recently and I thought they was worth it, you can even bring a picnic in.

These are just a few of the things I did and still I haven't seen as much of the country as I would like. You will meet people if you are travelling alone, it sort of forces you to find company, it certainly did for me. I think it was the best thing I ever did.

Have a great time, and best if luck.