ideas of places to visit in aus wth my week off?

xxlornaxx

I live in mackay, north qld n the way my shifts hav wrked out I have 8 days off at the end of nxt month :) I'd like to see more of aus or maybe short flight somewhere? But nt sure where to go. Ive been from melbourne up to cairns n all in between on road trips, looking to go sumwhere I havent bn before...I prefer driving places n stopping along the way but that limits where I can go due to time so nt too far..or maybe fly sumwhere if cheap enough? I dnt want to spend alot of money. Anyone any ideas or recommendations please? I have alice springs, perth area, darwin n sa on my list of want to see but on a budget n 8days they look too expensive to fly to n def nt enough time to drive! Thanks for any info

Mackay to Richmond, Qld, Kronosaurus Korner, day 1, Richmond to Winton and Lark Quarry for the dinosaur stampede, return to Winton, day 2.

Winton to Longreach and the Stockman's Hall Of Fame, day 3/4. Longreach to Anakie sapphire fields, day4/5. Anakie to Rocky and Yeppoon, day 5/6. Then back to Mackay.

Any help?

Cheers, Bobj.

I was thinking, maybe pick an Outback Queensland town, and spend a week there, stay in a pub, not a motel, and become a (sort of) local. You know, have a coffee every morning/arvo in a cafe, meal and beer in the pub each night. go little trips out from the town each day.

I must admit, that usually on road trips, I keep moving on, each day, despite it being wearing, packing and repacking, always driving, though on my own, I like to stop at every town I come to. I still have not been north of Gympie, so I don't know your part of Australia. I was looking at my old road atlas (bought in Coffs Harbour 27 October 1991 - that was a good trip with my parents too, Sydney to Grafton, then west to Glen Innes, south to Dubbo, back to Sydney in a week.)

What would it be like to spend a week in Emerald, say? You could go back via the coast to make it a circular route? The town I particularly liked in Queensland was St George where I stayed for a night at the Cobb and Co Hotel. I had a room opening out onto the balcony, which was part of my Aussie experience. I did the same thing in Goondiwindi. There's something I like about those huge, wide, balconies that sometimes cover the pavement.