Tasmania Holiday!

LKC

My family and I went on a holiday to Tasmania. We just got back a few days ago, and I thought that I would post a few pictures of our travels.

We arrived in Hobart, and travelled down to Huonville for our first couple of nights. We visited Hartz Mountain National Park, where we saw some snow - the first time that the girls have seen it! It was very cold, but luckily we had come prepared!

Hartz Mountain NP1.jpg

Hartz Mountain NP2.jpg

We also visited Mount Wellington, and again saw the snow.

Mt Wellington1.jpg

And a beautiful view of Hobart when the clouds cleared!

Mt Wellington3.jpg

Next we drove up to a house in New Norfolk, and visited Mount Field National Park. I thought that this area was one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen! We walked through the bush by torchlight and saw all sorts of animals. There were also beautiful waterfalls and temperate rainforest.

Mt Field NP1.jpg

Mt Field NP3.jpg

Mt Field NP5.jpg

The next day, we drove for almost six hours (including a car sickness and shopping stop), in order to reach Cradle Mountain National Park. We spent three days walking around the Cradle Mountain area. We saw wombats, possums, pademelons and wallabies, and there were so many picturesque views that my camera didn't know where to look!

Cradle Mountain11.jpg

Cradle Mountain14.jpg

We were really sad to leave Cradle Mountain, but moved on to Launceston briefly, where we visited the QVMAG museum. We enjoyed the museum so much that we visited twice - they have all sorts of scientific experiments set up in the 'Phenomenon Factory'. We also enjoyed the Australian Geographic Photo Display that is in there at the moment.

Once we left Launceston, we drove to Beaumaris on the east coast, and saw the very lovely Bay of Fires.

Bay of Fires2.jpg

And then down the east coast to Coles Bay, within Freycinet National Park.

Freycinet5.jpg

For our last night, we had chosen to stay near Hobart. I was extremely lucky to have caught the Aurora Australis on camera, albeit a faint one!

IMG_4235.jpg

We had an absolutely fantastic time in Tasmania. I would move over there in a heartbeat, but there are things that would keep us here in Sydney. We will definitely be coming here on holiday again, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we don't take our next holiday here!

IMG_4235.jpg

Hartz Mountain NP1.jpg

Hartz Mountain NP2.jpg

Mt Wellington1.jpg

Mt Wellington3.jpg

Mt Field NP1.jpg

Mt Field NP3.jpg

Mt Field NP5.jpg

Cradle Mountain11.jpg

Cradle Mountain14.jpg

Bay of Fires2.jpg

Freycinet5.jpg

Edited by LKC

Looks fantastic. I am surprised to see it is so cold at this time of year, is it like this most years?

I have a couple of friends who come from TAS, and they say that it can be beautiful shorts and t-shirt weather in Hobart, but freezing cold and snowing at the top of Mount Wellington. As we were driving up in to Hartz Mountains, it got colder and colder, about 17 or 18 deg and clear blue skies at the bottom, and then freezing with snow and blowing a gale at the top!

Looks fantastic. I am surprised to see it is so cold at this time of year, is it like this most years?

Cold fronts surge up from Antarctica and can bring snow to the mountains at any time of year: common in winter, of course... but snow on Mount Wellington behind Hobart has been known on Christmas Day (although very rare).

There's an annual running race from the harbour to the top of the mountain and one year recently they had to stop it halfway because there was too much ice and snow on the top section - and that was mid November. :rolleyes:

But snow right down to sea level is very uncommon, even in winter.

A week or so ago we had both 28 degrees and snow on the mountain within a few days of each other...so it's just a matter of being prepared for everything. :wubclub:

Cold fronts surge up from Antarctica and can bring snow to the mountains at any time of year: common in winter, of course... but snow on Mount Wellington behind Hobart has been known on Christmas Day (although very rare).

There's an annual running race from the harbour to the top of the mountain and one year recently they had to stop it halfway because there was too much ice and snow on the top section - and that was mid November. :rolleyes:

But snow right down to sea level is very uncommon, even in winter.

A week or so ago we had both 28 degrees and snow on the mountain within a few days of each other...so it's just a matter of being prepared for everything. :wubclub:

I was certainly prepared for all eventualities! I had thermal undies, fleeces and waterproofs for everyone, and shorts and t-shirts! We were in the cold and snow at the beginning of the holiday, and on the beach in the sunshine at the end! Amazing experience. When we return, we will concentrate on one area at a time, I think, so the packing will be much easier! The girls want to go back to Cradle first, so I think that we will look at doing that about April school holidays time, maybe for five days or so.

They are fantastic pictures LKC, and they make me realise how much I need to get back for another holiday.

I grew up in Tasmania and we used to go camping at Mount Field National Park at least once a year and I don't know how we did it but we would often jump in the river, which was by no means warm. :eek:

They are fantastic pictures LKC, and they make me realise how much I need to get back for another holiday.

I grew up in Tasmania and we used to go camping at Mount Field National Park at least once a year and I don't know how we did it but we would often jump in the river, which was by no means warm. :eek:

What a place to grow up! When we were on the beach in Bay of Fires and Coles Bay, the kids kept asking if they could swim. It was so beautiful and tropical looking that they thought it would be warm enough. As it was, the sea was cold enough to freeze the nuts off a brass monkey!

What a place to grow up! When we were on the beach in Bay of Fires and Coles Bay, the kids kept asking if they could swim. It was so beautiful and tropical looking that they thought it would be warm enough. As it was, the sea was cold enough to freeze the nuts off a brass monkey!

Coles Bay was another one of our annual camping spots. We used to go with 2 other families, so there were the 6 adults and 8 kids running around having a great time. Time was spent fishing, swimming and bush walks - particularly out to Wineglass Bay. I don't know what it is about kids, I am sure the water was never really warm enough for us to swim in, but we did!

• 3 months later...