5 Days on the Great Ocean Road with two little kids

Aunt Agatha

Hi all,

we are very excited about driving the Great Ocean Road in April and I was hoping you could give us a few tips and 'must sees' please?

We have two small children aged three and one so we want to do things that balances their needs for fun and naps with our need for sightseeing, drinking coffee and checking out groovy little shops and markets. We don't want to do any hiking/strenuous activity on this trip.

We have five full days and will be flying in and out of Melbourne (Tullamarine) and staying at Apollo Bay.

Our must sees so far include the 12 Apostles, Cape Otway Lightstation and Port Fairy (thinking we'll make this our last stop and drive back to Melbourne from here) but any other recommendations gratefully received, thanks!

When I did it, a couple of years ago, I stayed in Lorne and Warnambool. I can't remember what Warnambool was like now, but I liked Lorne, and I think Apollo Bay was nice too. I kept stopping every couple of kilometres on the really scenic part where the cliffs are. You could consider going on as far as Mt Gambier in SA, to see the Blue Lake, which I thought was pretty cool too.

Isnt the 12 apostles where that natural bridge collapsed? Was it called London Bridge? I remember seeing those sights.....absolutely stunning. Cant give you any tips as cant remember much BUT I am really jealous coz I DO remember how stunning it was. Oh lucky u!!!!

We did the journey in a big motorhome, drove form Melbourne to Adelaide. My two were a little older but loved it. Lorne, I remember being very quaint. Port Fairy was lovely too. Very windy on the beach, but that was in November.

Have a fantastic time. Drive slowly and enjoy it, stop off every now and then. I loved the houses on stilts on the hillside!

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry just seen this, I would recommend visiting Flagstaff, we did the night show and it was brilliant and provides you with some history of the ship wrecks that happened off the coast and life of the ten pound poms on the boats. It is a good few years since we have been though so the show may have changed. http://www.flagstaffhill.com the kids will like Lake Pertobe Adventure Playground.

Also you may like the Otway Fly, http://www.otwayfly.com You also have a reserve called Tower Hill, we saw emus and loads of kangaroos in the wild plus lots of birds we had no idea what they were, there are koalas in the reserve but we didn't see them.

Port Fairy is lovely, I could live there

Thanks so much everyone! This is something I've wanted to do for 10 years so very excited it's finally happening! Have made a note of all the suggestions, thank you. Flagstaff Hill sounds great, I think we'd all enjoy that and have added Lorne to the list. I'll put together a loose itinerary but leave some time free for stopping and marvelling and serendipity.

Nikey it was London Bridge before the collapse, I think it might be called London Arch now but not 100% sure.

Everyone who who has been loves Port Fairy, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Oh you lucky B... lol make sure you visit Apollo bay, the Shipwreck coast and stay in Timboon, awesome national forest parks and Timboon cheese to boot! Im envious..did this with my wife and sis years back BC (Before Children)

The journey is now really good from Melbourne with the motorway/dual carriageway all the way through to Torquay.

Might be heading down ourselves over the school holidays with overseas visitors.

With the young ones Lorne and Apollo are great. For them its sand, sand and sand. And those big waves:-)

After some rain the falls behind Lorne are worth the steep stairs (but might be difficult with little ones)

It's a beautiful drive. When she knew we were going (in Dec one year) my sister in law gave me a survival pack - plastic mac, fly repellant, beanie, scarf and sunscreen. Covered all bases I think. The fly repellant was most welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips, we had a wonderful time.

We managed to fit in Apollo Bay, Cape Otway Forest and lighthouse, Wye River, Lorne, Anglesea, 12 Apostles and all the incredible rock formations which follow such as London Bridge & the Bay of Martyrs and we ended our trip in Port Fairy. There were many other places I would have liked to visit but we fitted in as much as we could around the kids.