Accommodation along the Newell Highway

Blackhorse

Hi all

I'm planning on driving down the Newell Highway to Melbourne from Brisbane soon. Does anybody have experience of whether it's necessary or desirable to book in advance overnight accommodation along the route? I'd prefer not to restrict myself to having to reach a certain town by a certain time, so would like to just find a hotel/motel when I get to a suitable town to stop overnight.

Thanks

Hi all

I'm planning on driving down the Newell Highway to Melbourne from Brisbane soon. Does anybody have experience of whether it's necessary or desirable to book in advance overnight accommodation along the route? I'd prefer not to restrict myself to having to reach a certain town by a certain time, so would like to just find a hotel/motel when I get to a suitable town to stop overnight.

Thanks

G'day mate, I worked on a section of that road, (Goondiwindi-Narrabri) and would suggest Brissie to Narrabri, or Coonabarrabran on the first day, Narrabri/Coona to Wagga Wagga second day then Wagga to Smellbum third day. Being the Newell Hwy, be aware of the interstate trucks, have seen convoys of up to 13 tucks at a time. The section Boggabilla, through Moree to Narrabri is across the NW Plains and is virtually a straight flat road, so take care as the truckies use this section to gain time.

Also, being a major hwy, there are quite a few motels at each town. All up, it is about 1700 km.

http://www.racq.com.au/travel/drive_travel/trip_planner

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have really struggled as a lot of accommodation closes their office at 5pm, so we ended up tied to reaching a certain destination by a certain time. If it's not holiday period you could chance your luck, we did that heading over to Katherine but couldn't get in at Hughendon anywhere so ended up in Richmond.

Last time on the Newell, on a trip from Brisbane to Melbourne 2 years ago, we stopped at Parkes to see The Dish in real life. It is close (ish) to half way.

We stayed at The Station Motel and it was an excellent stop.

It is still #1 on tripadvisor for Parkes:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255327-d665320-Reviews-Station_Motel_Parkes-Parkes_New_South_Wales.html

Tis a long boring road. If you're the driver take a book to read :) The alternative New England and Pacific are far more fun though I guess are more optimal for Brisbane to Sydney trips.

Edited by fish.01

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all

Thanks

Do it in one hit mate. Have a short snooze in the car around 1/2 way and then carry on.

I hope you're joking wakeboard....it's an 18 hour trip. even doing it in 2 days would be a struggle.

We went from melbourne to leeton to narrabri to the sunny coast.

Depends on how quick you want to get there. I've done a few big trips, it can be done if you need too. Saying that there are plenty of nice towns/different towns to see along the way.