Hairdresser

raeside01

Hi, After getting some terrible advise and Engineering Australia changing the "rules" with regards to my trade and ending our Australia dream we have once again decided to go for it again using my wifes trade - a Hairdresser. It has taken us more than 12 months to decide to try again, mainly because the itch to move just wont go away, ha ha.It looks as though Northen Territory is the only state that Hairdressing is applicable too (that is fine by us). I am 31, my wife is 30 and we have 2 kids who will turn 11 and 8 this year, living in Scotland. We feel if we are going to move we need to do it in the next year or so. So I have two questions;1. Ideally to avoid the stress of our last attempt we would love a job sponsor, this would make the whole process so much more straigh forward, we would even fund the Visa knowing there is a job waiting. So if anyone know of any Hairdresser chains looking for a talented Hairdresser let me know ;) 2. If there are any Hairdressers on here who have went through through the Visa process all information would be greatly appreciated, we are trying to avoid using an agent this time as the last one proved to be a rather expensive mistake.Thanks again :) Scott

I would avoid the sponsorship route.

First, a sponsorship doesn't limit you to the NT as business sponsorship can be anywhere. Though as well as NT, Tas are also sponsoring and SA with conditions - though those conditions are often very hard to meet.

Business sponsorship can be anywhere. However, you would need to understand what this is.

First, it is nearly always a 457 visa. This is a temporary visa for up to 4 years with no automatic path to becoming permanent. It is tied to the employer, so, if she were to lose her job for any reason, she would have 90 days to find another sponsor, or you all have to leave the country - remember, not every company can sponsor and many even if they can, wont as you are not allowed to pay for the cost, they must.

There are other issues as well. For example, many states charge temporary visa holders for children's education - this can be a LOT of money.

Another is that the partners of the 457 holder can also find it very hard to find jobs as they are only in Australia temporarily and their future isn't in their own hands because if their partner loses their job, they would have to leave.

I would therefore urge you to look at state sponsored permanent visas such as the 190 or at worst, the 489.

hi, Thanks for that information. I suppose I never really thought of it like that before. I must admit as we look it was always the state sponsor route we were going down. Although I did assume a works sponsor would make the whole thing easierbut looking at the bigger picture it could end up being quite problematic so thanks for that. We need to start gathering the information with regards to her trade so will get to work on that before applying to have her skills assessed. I wasnt aware Tas was on the list too? I did know about SA but as you say I suspect the special conditions would be quite difficult to satisfy. Are you based in the NT just now?Thanks

Many Poms on here will have wildly violent and differing views on many things (most recently, the EU referendum).

However, most of us (I am HAPPY to stand corrected, if I'm wrong) would always caution very strongly against the 457.

If you search through the old threads on here, there are some (very recent) examples of heartbreak with 457ers having to return back to Blighty when made unemployed.

I would echo VeryStormy's words of cautions very strongly and very keenly. It can be a great way in for many people; however, it can also be fraught with (for want of a better word) danger and risk.

Hi, After getting some terrible advise and Engineering Australia changing the "rules" with regards to my trade and ending our Australia dream we have once again decided to go for it again using my wifes trade - a Hairdresser. It has taken us more than 12 months to decide to try again, mainly because the itch to move just wont go away, ha ha.It looks as though Northen Territory is the only state that Hairdressing is applicable too (that is fine by us). I am 31, my wife is 30 and we have 2 kids who will turn 11 and 8 this year, living in Scotland. We feel if we are going to move we need to do it in the next year or so. So I have two questions;1. Ideally to avoid the stress of our last attempt we would love a job sponsor, this would make the whole process so much more straigh forward, we would even fund the Visa knowing there is a job waiting. So if anyone know of any Hairdresser chains looking for a talented Hairdresser let me know ;) 2. If there are any Hairdressers on here who have went through through the Visa process all information would be greatly appreciated, we are trying to avoid using an agent this time as the last one proved to be a rather expensive mistake.Thanks again :) Scott

Agree with others, there is nothing straightforward about sponsorship. Actually it could be years of stress and uncertainty as you are in a temporary visa but with thoughts of a permanent move. The temporary visa is best for people who want the experience of working overseas for a couple of years. Not to mention, few people are able to secure a sponsor from overseas.

Go back to skilled migration. Why are you ineligible? I would have thought engineer a better occupation to apply under than hairdresser, in that there are more options.

I applied for state sponsorship as a mechanical design draftsman, everything was looking great during the time I was getting my evidence together but in the 8 weeks it took me get the information Engineering Australia (the assessing body) changed the requirements.My apprenticehip educated me to an HNC level but Engineering Aus changed the requirment to a minimum of an HND. Engineering Aus took my money, the Visa agent took my money and one glance at my HNC qualification it was thrown out:( Really hard to take as I served my time with a Global company (who actually exist in the state I wanted sponsored with). Not to mention they totally disregarded my 10 + yrs experience. First time I witnessed the whole "its our way or no way" attitude I have heard about. I have started my degree with the Open university to back up my trade with the qualification but it will take too long so we will try the state sponsorship through Hairdresser. I am quite confident that if there is jobs out there for me I will get one without the Engineer Australia recognition ... im a glass half full kind of guy ha ha

Edited by raeside01

Would it be possible to do the second year of an HND faster than finishing the degree with the OU?Appreciate this might not be feasible from a time / cost perspective; however, it could be faster?
I work away from home so I am not able to do night classes and my work would not support day release to college either. I started the OU route mainly due to the fact I am away from home so i have no excuses not to be studying ha ha.Engineering Australia also require 5 years worked Post Grad so everything is against me with regards to that ha ha. Its a shame as I still have all my evidence and references but they will hopefully help me get work when I am out there (if we get out there). Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've applied for hairdresser for NT. I started in August 2015, and now at the stage where positively hoping for visa grant.

I had had applied for 190 visa sub class but as turned 40 during the visa process I was offered 489 visa subclass with NT state sponsorship.

first of all you need to have 5 years work experience either as self employed or working for someone. You need to get your document assessed along with 4 videos or pictures with detailed information on chemical perming, colouring, barbering with classic hair cut and outline shave. With some fees.

once done with this you'll be given a date for technical assessment which will be Skype interview - you need to clear this assessment done by VETASSESS with some fees.

after clearing this you can apply or EOI, mean while you also need to score for IELTS 6 or above.

after EOI you will be offered state sponsorship for 190 or 489visa subclass. Now you are at the last stage where paying visa fees, medical check ups and police clearance. Inbetween a stage you need to some fund for 190. You don't need to show funds for 489.

489 is a temporary visa for 4 years and after completing two years in regional area can apply for permanent resident. This is all I went through the process. Hope it will be helpful to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I've applied for hairdresser for NT. I started in August 2015, and now at the stage where positively hoping for visa grant.

I had had applied for 190 visa sub class but as turned 40 during the visa process I was offered 489 visa subclass with NT state sponsorship.

first of all you need to have 5 years work experience either as self employed or working for someone. You need to get your document assessed along with 4 videos or pictures with detailed information on chemical perming, colouring, barbering with classic hair cut and outline shave. With some fees.

once done with this you'll be given a date for technical assessment which will be Skype interview - you need to clear this assessment done by VETASSESS with some fees.

after clearing this you can apply or EOI, mean while you also need to score for IELTS 6 or above.

after EOI you will be offered state sponsorship for 190 or 489visa subclass. Now you are at the last stage where paying visa fees, medical check ups and police clearance. Inbetween a stage you need to some fund for 190. You don't need to show funds for 489.

489 is a temporary visa for 4 years and after completing two years in regional area can apply for permanent resident. This is all I went through the process. Hope it will be helpful to you.

Hey Sony

I've read that you didn't need to prove funds for a 489 visa. Did they ask for any financial evidence. I can get a loan from family for the 190 but I would rather not have to, especially not knowing how long I would need to keep the money in my bank. Did it take long for you to hear back from the eoi.

Thanks

Laura

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Laura,

for 190 you need show funds for 3-6months- as per agent. I had applied for 190 but due to age factor I was offered 489.

About EOI, it takes maximum 4 weeks as per agent but mine came on 18th day. Hope this will help you.

Bye

Sony

• 3 months later...

I must adnit when I get a haircut I am surprised how often it is an overseas indian or asian person who has come over on a visa for hairdressing.

I assumed hairdressers would be a dime a dozen with people already here but must not be the case if we have to import them.

• 1 month later...
Hi I have just got NT sponsorship for 190 I'm a hairdresser age 42

Hiya, just jumping on this thread, I'd love to hear some more info on the process and costs involved including where people are hoping to settle, visa processing time and employment opportunities if anyone can offer advice! Thank you in advance.

My husband and I came over on a working holiday visa 5 years ago and we are looking into our options as either hairdresser or vocational teacher as I teach hairdressing. Good luck to everyone else xx

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...