moving to darwin in 3 months

Deeney4

hi guys

me and my family are due to arrive in the NT at the end of november...... could you all please give me any information on settling in with two children. We still have to find a nice area to settle in any reccomendations also what areas are good and bad?

we are so excited to move.....are there any mums out there or mum groups on facebook as i want to make mummy friends so the kids can have some friends to as it is such a big move!!

Thanks

Alex

hi guys

me and my family are due to arrive in the NT at the end of november...... could you all please give me any information on settling in with two children. We still have to find a nice area to settle in any reccomendations also what areas are good and bad?

we are so excited to move.....are there any mums out there or mum groups on facebook as i want to make mummy friends so the kids can have some friends to as it is such a big move!!

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex we are emigrating to Darwin next month so will give you any info once we have arrived and found our own way. I have 3 girls aged 3, 7, and 9 years.... How old are your children? Do you have any idea as to where abouts you want to live? Have you ever been before?

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Thank you so much for writing back, I have two boys 3 and 8. How do your girls feel about moving? And are you excited? Were not to sure yet on an area have done so much research into nightcliff and Fannie bay. Do you know where ur going to live? We have visited oz before but never been to darwin. Have you been before?

Alex

Hi Guys! :)

we land in Darwin on the 7th October 2015! We have never been to Darwin either! Researched like crazy via internet! We have five children, one 19yrs stayed in UK, three boys 9,10,11yrs and daughter 13yrs! Those coming are so excited as are myself and my husband. I too am keen to make friends! :) I will keep in contact with as much information as we tackle the settlement into Darwin. We are currently in Canada visiting my sister then we fly to Brisbane for a two week camper an holiday then on to Darwin where we have booked a holiday apartment (city gardens)for four weeks to give us some visual research into areas and try to secure a rental, as we found when we visited Perth a few years ago what seems good and nice on the Internet has a not so good feel in reality! :)

Hope I can help

Becki :)

Hi Becki

wow that is really soon!!!! yes we are the same as you researched like crazy! where abouts in England did you live? wow Canada and Brisbane for a holiday sounds lovely! we too have accommodation for nearly 4 weeks in Cullen bay? it will be good to hear how you get on please keep in contact....its always nice to get other peoples point of view. will you then decide on a school for the boys when you know where your settling or do you have a school for them in mind? my eldest boy has mixed emotions and my youngest doesn't really understand bless him apart from we are going to live with the snakes and spiders lol.

Thanks for your email.... hope you enjoy your break before Darwin!

Alex

Haha everyone thinks it's soon but after three years of visa processing it's a welcome relief to know we are on our way after all the talk but no walk! Lol ;) We hope to find an area that we can rent in but still afford to buy to settle as we don't want to move the children out of school again! So yes once we move into the rental they will go to catchment school :) it's hard when children are a little older, my 13yr old is excited but wobbles occasionally at starting school and leaving her sister! But once in the swing of everyday life she will stop over thinking it all :0/

We came from Staffordshire (Tamworth) and are so relieved to be moving on!

i will definitely keep you updated! It will be interesting to see our journeys to the same place!

Becki :)

Hi Jenny

Thank you so much for writing back, I have two boys 3 and 8. How do your girls feel about moving? And are you excited? Were not to sure yet on an area have done so much research into nightcliff and Fannie bay. Do you know where ur going to live? We have visited oz before but never been to darwin. Have you been before?

Alex

Hi yes i have been to Darwin I spent 8 months there but it was 10 years ago.... Yes my girls are excited to go they are not happy here in uk so are looking forward to the new adventure. we are looking around Casuarina area as I dont drive.... Will keep you updated... May be we can meet when you guys get there... as you said be nice to meet with other mums and my 9 year old gets on much better with boys than she does girls.

may not be on POMS IN OZ much for a couple of weeks as moving in a weeks time.... will get back to you with any info as soon as will be poss....

Jenny

wow three years that's along time.....ours has taken just under two years. yes the housing situation is abit like us we want to buy but need see the areas first. were from burbage which is right near Stafford how bizarre! we have never really settle in the uk and really need a new start. yes it would be lovely to meet up and the kids meet. Are you on facebook?

Alex

that's a bit like us jenny never really settled here def need a new start. so you know what Darwin is like then if you spent 8 months there. my 8 year old is used to being with girls as we are close family and he is always playing with my nieces. good luck with the move look forward to hearing how it all goes.......we will see you in Darwin!

wow three years that's along time.....ours has taken just under two years. yes the housing situation is abit like us we want to buy but need see the areas first. were from burbage which is right near Stafford how bizarre! we have never really settle in the uk and really need a new start. yes it would be lovely to meet up and the kids meet. Are you on facebook?

Alex

Wow we were quiet close then!! We too have never settled in the UK either the house we just sold was our seventh!! We too are desperate for a new start a new adventure, and Darwin is going to be it, no matter what!!! ;)

It would be great if we could meet and I'm sure we will!!! ;)

I am on Facebook (Rebecca Beardsmore/Rodbaston College/ my profile pic I have blonde short hair and I'm sitting with a little boy with blonde hair) :)

Hello everyone

I have just moved to Darwin, I have been here for one week!! I have been in Adelaide for 4 years before I moved up here. I am originally form Oxford, I moved here in 2011. I would love to meet up with any families especially people from the UK. I have made no connections up here so far as I have not started work yet and I spend most of my days at home as I have a 2 year old boy. I am living in Leanyer it's about 3kms from Casuarina. I am keen to start building up a network or even start up an expat mums group etc as I think we all need some support being so far from friends and family in the UK!!

One thing I want to say is that Darwin truly is beautiful, the lifestyle on offer here is relaxed and the general population are so friendly. It's great for kids... so much to see and do.

Hope to catch up with some or all of you moving out here when you arrive :)

PM me if you want my mobile number!

Charlene

Hi Charlene

Are you on facebook have you joined the mum groups?? thats so nice to hear that darwin is lovely and lots to do with the kids. were looking up that area to live with think. what leanyer like? yes what to keep in contact i want some mummy friends to go to. i have a 3 year old boy so there similar age, how come you moved to darwin? For some reason it wont let me private message you.

Keep in contact PM ur number. I arrive in darwin on the 25th november.

alex x

Hey Alex :)

I will try to PM you. Me and my husband moved to Darwin for work. Most jobs in Adelaide were contract and temporary so we never felt settled. He was offered a permanent full time job here so we took the opportunity!! So glad we did I really get a good feeling about Darwin.

Leanyer is lovely, very green and luscious, neat and clean very close to Casuarina which has a lovely shopping centre. My husband's job is in Casuarina too. I am sorry I don't have a Facebook account I never really got into it so I deleted it! I haven't joined any groups at all yet but I hope to soon.

I look forward to your arrival Alex will be good to meet especially as we have a little one of similar age :) just one thing....please tell me the terrible two's will improve soon!!!!!!

Darwin is going to be hot and steamy soon. I like Darwin though, been up there a lot with work and it's improved immensely over the last few years. If you've not been there for a few years you will see the improvements, especially round the docks, wave pool, convention centre, new hotels, swimming area in an enclosed lagoon, good restaurants, new pubs.

Main street will still be the same but plenty to do in Darwin. Casuarina is a decent area, not too far out of town. Wouldn't fancy being out as far as Palmerston, didn't like it round there at all, much nicer near the City.

Good luck with the move.

• Like 1

This is worth a giggle too:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NT-News-Headlines-are-Legendary/278232255546324

There aren’t many newspapers in the world that can get away with a front-page headline of: Why I stuck a cracker up my clacker!

I used to bring home copies on the NT News for the wife. She wouldn't believe me when I told her about the headlines. I think the first one I took home was a headline of "shaggin wagon". The cops had picked up a couple of drunk aborigines in the daytime and were taking them in for a sobering up. The paddy wagon had a door on the back with bars you could see in. A girl behind filmed the Aborigine couple of the floor of the wagon getting it on while they were driving them to the cop shop. Complete with photo with a big red X through it.:laugh:

Another one was a picture of a guy in a full 5mm wetsuit, mask and snorkel, complaining he had to wear it to get in his pool because of the "freezing" cold snap, it was 18 degrees at 7:00am.:laugh:

Hey Alex :)

I will try to PM you. Me and my husband moved to Darwin for work. Most jobs in Adelaide were contract and temporary so we never felt settled. He was offered a permanent full time job here so we took the opportunity!! So glad we did I really get a good feeling about Darwin.

Leanyer is lovely, very green and luscious, neat and clean very close to Casuarina which has a lovely shopping centre. My husband's job is in Casuarina too. I am sorry I don't have a Facebook account I never really got into it so I deleted it! I haven't joined any groups at all yet but I hope to soon.

I look forward to your arrival Alex will be good to meet especially as we have a little one of similar age :) just one thing....please tell me the terrible two's will improve soon!!!!!!

There's a 50m outdoor pool somewhere close to you with lovely ocean views, across from a pub. I can't remember the suburb but I had a nice morning there swimming, reading the paper, another swim. Always a good thing to do is join in with a swim club or other sports clubs to get to know people. There's a surf club not too far away too. They will tell you when it's safe to swim in the Ocean up there, have to be more careful up North. Have you been to Cullen Bay yet? Some good restaurants there.:cool:

Hey guys!

Darwin is a great spot. I understand you will be nervous...I was nervous moving up from Adelaide! I have only been here for two weeks so not much to report but first impressions are good. I am apprehensive about the wet season!!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Charlene x

Hi all we are now in Darwin and loving it.... Been here a week today and all going well.... Kids have settled into school really quickly and also settled in our house really well so all good.... now just need to find jobs...

Only thing I dont like (but its an issue for me anywhere) is the mosquitos they are eating me alive but other than that all is good.... The kids love seeing the different lizards and watching the bats fly at sunset...

Thats all for now as all a bit busy and barely get 2mins to myself at the mo...will comment again soon x