MINING JOBS WA - the truth

Guest karldyble

Guest karldyble

Hi all,

anyone either living in WA or migrating to WA will have heard someone say 'You want to get yourself into the mines, tons of money in that.'

There is tons of money to be earned but it's not easy to get into and there are plenty of people willing to "take" your money in order to help you.

Below is a checklist of things you will need to get a job in the mining industry.

1. Experience, if you have this it will be easy.

2. A mate or someone you know currently working in the industry.

3. A HR licence (Heavy rigid truck - road ranger gear box). This will cost about $1000 to $1200 to get and the courses are very booked up so book early!! Best place is Keen Brothers in Maddington. You need to get a learners permit first from the licencing centre costs about $100 all in. 17 questions, learn them parrot fashion and do a multiple choice test at the licencing centre.

4. An Australian senior first AID certificate. Takes 2 days and can be done through the St Johns Ambulance. Based in Belmont

5. A defensive driving 4X4 (4 wheel drive) course and maybe a 4X4 drive and recover course. Best company Eureka 4WD training based in Armadale.

6. Be willing to be away from home and work very long hours doing monotonous work in nearly 50 degrees amongst flies dust and crap.

7. A blue card. Costs $80 and you can do it online while looking at the manual at the same time, need about 90% to pass. Good co, frontline tests, find them online.

Still want to do it??

DO NOT pay $3000 for a dump truck drivers course. I have it first hand from recruitment consultants that even of you have done this course but have no experience you will not even be considered. You will have wasted $3000. Don't pay hundreds of dollars to web ads telling you that they have a manual that can get you a job in the mines. Mostly it's BS!!

Now is the time to try as the pool of experienced staff is drying up and companies are looking for 'greenies'. Do it now and get organised before the whole world cottons on to the fact that the boom is back. You will go in at low level, earn less but once you are in, you are in and then you have choices. Don't bother with the recruitment agencies unless they specifically state 'No Experience Needed'. They won't waste their time on you. Do your research, if you know someone in WA ask them if they know anyone who works in mining, get their bosses number, call them, get more numbers, call them. Know your stuff, they will get hundreds of calls a day of idiots who think they can just walk into a $120'000 a year job. Stand out from the rest. Contact the drilling companies direct, contact the operating companies and not the mine owners.

It''s a hard slog but it can be done. If you are serious get your HR licence, First Aid and 4x4 courses done and then ring the right people. Be prepared and you may get a chance.

Good luck.

Why am I doing this?? Because I've been through it and just got myself a job. If ican help someone else get one too then why not. That's what it's all about isn't it??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stockies

Good on ya mate for sharing your information with everyone.

And well done on getting a job.

Claire. xx

Guest The Pom Queen

What a great post, wow it does seem a hard slog, not sure I could cope with 50 degree days and the flies:shocked:.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Karldyble

I just want to add one thing to your post, please.

My sister has lived in Oz, based in Perth, since 1979. She knows lots of people, several of whom work in the mines in WA and she has done a lot of travelling and exploring in WA.

I live in the UK. I'd heard a rumour that the cooks in the mine camps can earn $94,000 a year, which is a huge amount for a young backpacker, let us say. This was about a year ago or maybe two years ago.

Chatting on the phone with my sister about this, I mentioned the rumour I had heard. Elaine (sister) said, "Don't believe everything you hear!"

She said that she had met a girl who had worked in the mine camps as a cook. This girl told Elaine that although the weekly pay works out at about the equivalent of $94,000 a year gross, nearly all the cooks are casual employees. They don't have any obligation to turn up at the airport for the rostered flight that will take the cook back to the mining area. The girl told Elaine that the contractors will pay good money from the day the person arrives for the flight to the day when another flight has deposited the worker somewhere else, but she stressed that she did not get paid for any days when she was not actually at the mine camp.

Elaine told me that the real pay is actually only about 50% of the sorts of figures I had been hearing because the workers are not at the mine all the time, plus taxes etc come out of the gross earnings.

Elaine said that it is absolutely untrue that a youngster can reach WA and promptly earn a fortune in the mines. Like you, she stressed the need for recent, relevant experience - without which it is very difficult to get into the mines at all - and she stressed that most of the workers are simply casual workers, so the riches that I had heard about are usually nonsense, she said.

Cheers

Gill

Guest siamsusie

Correct in some cases, but I know a fair few that have left health professional jobs and doing menial work down the Burrop and albeit it is casual they are earning a small fortune, granted their accomodation is local and this is a huge advantage!

Guest karldyble

Hi again,

you need to think of the mining industry like the construction industry, it's a bit more brutal than regular industries, fortunately I was self employed for 6 years in the UK so the system of 'No work no pay' is familiar and logical to me.

I relation to casual work, well the whole reason they offer casual work is because someone has no experience and they're not going to pay someone a fortune to work as an untrained kitchen hand with no promise of commitment from that person. The only plus to that is, as I said before, once you are in, you're in. Get in anyway you can and talk to people, you can change jobs quite quickly and if you have half a brain you can work your way up. Same old story, you don't get something for nothing.

Hi Karldyble

I just want to add one thing to your post, please.

My sister has lived in Oz, based in Perth, since 1979. She knows lots of people, several of whom work in the mines in WA and she has done a lot of travelling and exploring in WA.

I live in the UK. I'd heard a rumour that the cooks in the mine camps can earn $94,000 a year, which is a huge amount for a young backpacker, let us say. This was about a year ago or maybe two years ago.

Chatting on the phone with my sister about this, I mentioned the rumour I had heard. Elaine (sister) said, "Don't believe everything you hear!"

She said that she had met a girl who had worked in the mine camps as a cook. This girl told Elaine that although the weekly pay works out at about the equivalent of $94,000 a year gross, nearly all the cooks are casual employees. They don't have any obligation to turn up at the airport for the rostered flight that will take the cook back to the mining area. The girl told Elaine that the contractors will pay good money from the day the person arrives for the flight to the day when another flight has deposited the worker somewhere else, but she stressed that she did not get paid for any days when she was not actually at the mine camp.

Elaine told me that the real pay is actually only about 50% of the sorts of figures I had been hearing because the workers are not at the mine all the time, plus taxes etc come out of the gross earnings.

Elaine said that it is absolutely untrue that a youngster can reach WA and promptly earn a fortune in the mines. Like you, she stressed the need for recent, relevant experience - without which it is very difficult to get into the mines at all - and she stressed that most of the workers are simply casual workers, so the riches that I had heard about are usually nonsense, she said.

Cheers

Gill

Some of what you say confirms what was told to me by an Australian

Hi all,

anyone either living in WA or migrating to WA will have heard someone say 'You want to get yourself into the mines, tons of money in that.'

There is tons of money to be earned but it's not easy to get into and there are plenty of people willing to "take" your money in order to help you.

Below is a checklist of things you will need to get a job in the mining industry.

1. Experience, if you have this it will be easy.

2. A mate or someone you know currently working in the industry.

3. A HR licence (Heavy rigid truck - road ranger gear box). This will cost about $1000 to $1200 to get and the courses are very booked up so book early!! Best place is Keen Brothers in Maddington. You need to get a learners permit first from the licencing centre costs about $100 all in. 17 questions, learn them parrot fashion and do a multiple choice test at the licencing centre.

4. An Australian senior first AID certificate. Takes 2 days and can be done through the St Johns Ambulance. Based in Belmont

5. A defensive driving 4X4 (4 wheel drive) course and maybe a 4X4 drive and recover course. Best company Eureka 4WD training based in Armadale.

6. Be willing to be away from home and work very long hours doing monotonous work in nearly 50 degrees amongst flies dust and crap.

7. A blue card. Costs $80 and you can do it online while looking at the manual at the same time, need about 90% to pass. Good co, frontline tests, find them online.

Still want to do it??

DO NOT pay $3000 for a dump truck drivers course. I have it first hand from recruitment consultants that even of you have done this course but have no experience you will not even be considered. You will have wasted $3000. Don't pay hundreds of dollars to web ads telling you that they have a manual that can get you a job in the mines. Mostly it's BS!!

Now is the time to try as the pool of experienced staff is drying up and companies are looking for 'greenies'. Do it now and get organised before the whole world cottons on to the fact that the boom is back. You will go in at low level, earn less but once you are in, you are in and then you have choices. Don't bother with the recruitment agencies unless they specifically state 'No Experience Needed'. They won't waste their time on you. Do your research, if you know someone in WA ask them if they know anyone who works in mining, get their bosses number, call them, get more numbers, call them. Know your stuff, they will get hundreds of calls a day of idiots who think they can just walk into a $120'000 a year job. Stand out from the rest. Contact the drilling companies direct, contact the operating companies and not the mine owners.

It''s a hard slog but it can be done. If you are serious get your HR licence, First Aid and 4x4 courses done and then ring the right people. Be prepared and you may get a chance.

Good luck.

Why am I doing this?? Because I've been through it and just got myself a job. If ican help someone else get one too then why not. That's what it's all about isn't it??

A couple of questions.

How much do mine workers pay for accommodation & food when they work at the mines?

Is the full cost of the flight’s payed for by the employer.

Guest karldyble

I'm working more in mine construction, my original post was based on my experieces of trying to get a job mining and all the people I spoke to, my research and info that I got. I'm pretty sure that your accomodation, food and travel are free. Whether this is the case with casual workers i don't know??

I'm working more in mine construction, my original post was based on my experieces of trying to get a job mining and all the people I spoke to, my research and info that I got. I'm pretty sure that your accomodation, food and travel are free. Whether this is the case with casual workers i don't know??

Thanks for the post

Hopefully some one who has done casual work will be able to answer this.

o/h has just secured a job in bauxite mine in boddington .....he has the hr licence but non of the others ie ...first aid or 4x4 ?? .....he has over 25 years experience in construction but none in a mine site ....he has had numerous offers of employment at mine sites but this one is drive in and out ...so suits us at the mo ....he also had a telephone call from theiss re work on the gorgon plant and when he would be avalable to start .....so all in all i personally dont agree that you need experience / or contacts in this area of work .....i do agree however that it is costly to get the tickets required for this line of work ...but the financial benefits once you secure a job well and truely make up for it

mrs keily

Guest karldyble

Hi Keily,

I think you just answered you own query, he has '25 years experience in the construction industry' that'll get you a job on any engeneering project in the world be it mining, rail, bridges, roads etc.

For those with no experience the list I posted is essential.

o/h has just secured a job in bauxite mine in boddington .....he has the hr licence but non of the others ie ...first aid or 4x4 ?? .....he has over 25 years experience in construction but none in a mine site ....he has had numerous offers of employment at mine sites but this one is drive in and out ...so suits us at the mo ....he also had a telephone call from theiss re work on the gorgon plant and when he would be avalable to start .....so all in all i personally dont agree that you need experience / or contacts in this area of work .....i do agree however that it is costly to get the tickets required for this line of work ...but the financial benefits once you secure a job well and truely make up for it

mrs keily

Gonna be a long day mrs k its 100km + and thats from mandy be lot longer from canning vale:shocked:

Guest karldyble

Also BHP Billiton or Rio Tinto won't let you on site without a defensive driving course, How long has he been on site?

Hi Keily,

I think you just answered you own query, he has '25 years experience in the construction industry' that'll get you a job on any engeneering project in the world be it mining, rail, bridges, roads etc.

For those with no experience the list I posted is essential.

sorry ...what i meant was he had no mining experience ...which a lot of companies require you to have

mrs keily

Also BHP Billiton or Rio Tinto won't let you on site without a defensive driving course, How long has he been on site?

he starts on monday ....had his induction yesterday and no mention of the above

mrs keily

Guest karldyble

I'll bet you a theoretical tenner that within the first few months they ask him to do either a defensive driving or first aid. I was on a course with a guy who had done the driving course 7 times!! Had to keep it current. Your hubby may not need one, depends on whether he's on gravel roads in a work vehicle. well done to him for getting in to the industry, it's a rewarding one. So I'm told.

Guest siamsusie
he starts on monday ....had his induction yesterday and no mention of the above

mrs keily

Maybe he will Mrs Keily after his induction, just asked my husband who works for RioTinto up north, its a prerequisite for the job after a few days apparently, only authorised personnel are allowed on the access roads:wubclub:oh and congratulations, wishing him well in his new employment Susie

Guest karldyble

Mrs K, put your hand in your theoretical purse and hand me that nice crisp tenner!!

Thank you.:wink:

I'll bet you a theoretical tenner that within the first few months they ask him to do either a defensive driving or first aid. I was on a course with a guy who had done the driving course 7 times!! Had to keep it current. Your hubby may not need one, depends on whether he's on gravel roads in a work vehicle. well done to him for getting in to the industry, it's a rewarding one. So I'm told.

cheers ,,,, what mine you working at ..is it fifo

mrs keily

Maybe he will Mrs Keily after his induction, just asked my husband who works for RioTinto up north, its a prerequisite for the job after a few days apparently, only authorised personnel are allowed on the access roads:wubclub:oh and congratulations, wishing him well in his new employment Susie

thanks susie ....could very well be the case when he actually starts ....wouldnt think he would have any probs with that ....but first aid .....well he doesnt even know where i keep the plasters :biglaugh:

mrs keily

Guest siamsusie
thanks susie ....could very well be the case when he actually starts ....wouldnt think he would have any probs with that ....but first aid .....well he doesnt even know where i keep the plasters :biglaugh:

mrs keily

kolwx9.jpgJust think Mrs K how safe you will feel after he has completed that course:laugh:

Archived