plasterers thread

Guest kazmatt

Guest kazmatt

hi to all plasterers,

i am in queensland where the trade i did in the u.k. does not really exist here, i was a wet plasterer, mainly floating in sand and cement, bonding or browning, and overskimming using board finish or multi finish, i did cement rendering also and pebble dashing, none of what is done here, i know very few companies here do some cement render but not many at all, i have been informed on here that other parts of australia do this, for example i have heard that sydney, tasmanis, perth, and adelaide do this type of work, the only people i hear this off are people who are not in the trade, i would like to hear from plasterers in australia who are actually carrying out these tasks, i will bring bump this back to the top from time to time as i know some people dont come on very often, thanks. matt.

hi to all plasterers,

i am in queensland where the trade i did in the u.k. does not really exist here, i was a wet plasterer, mainly floating in sand and cement, bonding or browning, and overskimming using board finish or multi finish, i did cement rendering also and pebble dashing, none of what is done here, i know very few companies here do some cement render but not many at all, i have been informed on here that other parts of australia do this, for example i have heard that sydney, tasmanis, perth, and adelaide do this type of work, the only people i hear this off are people who are not in the trade, i would like to hear from plasterers in australia who are actually carrying out these tasks, i will bring bump this back to the top from time to time as i know some people dont come on very often, thanks. matt.

Hi Matt,

Reading some of your posts last night really upset me and I feel for you and your family in your current situation.

I have put a link to this thread on the sister site pomsinadelaide in the hopes that more people will read it and you will get some good help. Hope you don't mind.

All the very best.

hi mate,im a brickie in adelaide.there is no internal float n skim here all taped n jointed.there is a fair bit of external render mainly piers,quoins,window surrounds but not many whole houses.hope this helps.cheers mark.

Hi matt,

The 4Hopes have responded already on pomsinadelaide. Her husband is a plasterer and she believes there is still a demand. Maybe hop on the site and PM her if you haven't seen it already.

I have a good Aussie carpenter friend who recently had 4 rooms re-plastered in their house so he may have some contacts. Most of the newer suburbs here are being built with timber or steel frames these days, with single brick outside and gyprock inside, but there are tens of thousands of solid brick houses in established areas, such as West Lakes, Semaphore, North Haven, Grange, etc, built the "traditional" way.

Cheers.

Guest kazmatt

thanks kazzarazza, for us it was never meant to be and it is the end of our australian journey, i just wanted to know if anywhere did it the british way, but it seems they dont,i am not a fibrous plasterer over here i have never used the boxes, so i cant get a job using them, thanks for your help. matt.

Guest snow white

sorry to hear things are not working out for you matt keep us informed of how things go, my oh is a plumber gasfitter and its been a nightmare to say the least

all the best

lesley x

Hi friend of ours is in perth who is plasterer, he said its all rendering that he does.

Which doesnt bother my oh as he's doing a lot of it at the moment. But they dont seem to skim as you say its all taped joints.

Rachael

Guest kazmatt
I saw absolutely no float and set (browning/thistle) type work in Brisbane and surrounds it was all taped joints. But you do get a lot (or did) textured finishes like stucco, and other "trowel on" products which would be a piece of wee if you can set walls and ceilings.

I believe this all comes under "solid plastering" and its nesrly always exterior work done over concrete or "blue board"

thanks aldo, i have seen the types of work you are talking about, but have never been able to find work doing this, i have been told that because its quite simple, painting firms do it along with the painting, not sure if this is correct, thanks, matt.

Hello mate

I'm coming to Bribane area as a solid plasterer and have the same experiance in plastering as you. can't see myself dri lining for a living mate do you think i'll get work? Good to hear from a fellow plasterer good luck mate you've got me rethinking a few things.

Guest kazmatt
Hello mate

I'm coming to Bribane area as a solid plasterer and have the same experiance in plastering as you. can't see myself dri lining for a living mate do you think i'll get work? Good to hear from a fellow plasterer good luck mate you've got me rethinking a few things.

hi buddy, dont wish to be the bearer of bad news, but i cant find any work in solid plastering at all since getting laid off a few weeks ago, but maybe i just needed to give it a lot longer looking, i am going home in two weeks so have not gone mad trying to find work, but it seems a lot of other plasterers are in the same boat, most people with our experience go into the rendering as this is really the only solid plastering they do, but it is different from u.k. rendering, they call it skim coat rendering, pretty simple, there is some cement render but not a great deal, goo luck.

As kazmatt explained solid plastering is basically rendering over here, it is still applied with hawk and trowel but that's where the similarity ends, internal is all drywall...why it is on the demand list is anyone's guess, it's very misleading as wet plasterers could assume that when they arrive they will do a similar job as they did in the UK but this could not be further from the truth...

Guest kazmatt
hi, im a solid plasterer here in scotland just waiting for house to sell then on to melbourne, how is it that solid plastering is on the wanted list if there is not much call for it, colin

aussiedreamz is right, there is little or no plastering work like we do back home, the rendering is different too, not a lot of skill, its kind of scraped on instead of spread on, and rubbed up using a float like in the u.k, ( some people use a home made polystyrene float) , you take a hose around with you and wet it up as you float it, then finish it with a sponge, a lot of companies dont use beads either and form all the angles, it is totally different to cement rendering, a lot quicker, i have no idea why it is on the wanted list only that its applied with a hand hawk and trowel, i wish it was not though would have saved me a lot of hassle.

• 1 month later...
Guest allinteriorsuk
hi to all plasterers,

Hi I'm an aussie based in London, but would like to give all you plasterers the run down with Australia.

Plastering: 2 types- SOLID or DRYWALL

DRYWALL- as known in the uk as drylining finisher, taper and jointer etc. One thing to note for all you dryliners: paper tape is used most of the time and it is rare that they will use fibre,scrim,mesh tape. THEY DO NOT USE ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT TO MULTIFINISH OR BOARD FINISH IN AUSTRALIA- THEY DO NOT SKIM OVER PLASTERBOARD.

SOLID PLASTERING- if your looking to get into this you must perfect your rendering skills cause this is what you'll be doing when applying for solid plastering work. The big difference in AUSTRALIA between the states is that in W.A they build houses differently and tend to use cavity brick system unlike on the eastern side where they only do brick veneer(not always). With this the internal brick/block work is usually plastered with a product similar to 'white set' similar to what is used in spain/italy etc. If you're a 'spread' in the uk and you can float and set you will be able to pick this up easily.

And as usaul the external of the house is either left as face brick or rendered.

On the eastern side of Aus they do you use a lot of acrylic renders (similar to 'STO'), quite often on houses the grond level is rendered over brick/block, but the 1st level is redered over 'blu board' which is a cement based board that is screwed to the timber frame, window cills, moulds etc are made from fibreglass polysterine and then rendered over.

With the older cities like melbourne and sydney you will come across some traditional lime plastering and restoration work because of the age of some of the buildings. And again internally they will usually do skim coat over the plaster using a white set slurry.

My suggestion to all the solid plasterers is to refine your skills before you leave. Depending on which part of Australia your heading to.

Perfect your rendering and give the acrylic renders a go.

I know of colleages that have tried to get the british gypsum products over to Aus but the costs are not viable. I believe they have reached singapore and i have heard of N.Z. The products are great especially for renovation work and they would make some jobs a lot easier.- it may be the weather conditions are not suitable.

Archived