Whinging Pom Magazine

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Guest Mrs Braveheart

:biglaugh: Giz

Tell me what you think of it. I had a quick peak & it looks a good read.

Janette

So Simon the editor is saying

The UK and WA have more in common than you think. Both contain elements that are utterly, eye-wateringly sublime and, at the same time, both possess instances that are bone-crunchingly frustrating. There seems to be no neutral ground – you’re either ecstatic or you’re screaming.

143 UK Families immigrate to Western Australia every week. Almost 8,000 UK immigrants were awarded residency in WA last year.* This figure does not even include the tens of thousands of itinerant visitors or those on extended stays through working visas. Through tie-in deals with a variety of immigration companies, WPOM will be offered as part of every newcomer’s introduction to the country.

The UK resident population in WA is now approaching 500,000 with a larger disposable income than any other immigrant group. This population is in dire need of discovering decent suppliers of quality goods and services.

Most UK immigrants, before they arrive in Western Australia, have romanticised the ‘big move’ and are hoping to find something vaguely ‘Mediterranean’ when they get here. What we often discover is ‘Little Britain’; possibly created by the many long-serving Poms already entrenched here. This can initially lead to an overwhelming feeling of disappointment and a barrage of whinges, whines and complaints.

Interesting read, what do all you guys & gals in WA reckon ???

gizmo

:biglaugh: Giz

Tell me what you think of it. I had a quick peak & it looks a good read.

Janette

Janette, Its a interesting read but it could peee some of the poms off espec the long term ones (just basing this on previous threads) - being interesting to hear other peoples points of view on the mag -wonder if theres a NSW issue :biglaugh:

Guest Mrs Braveheart
Janette, Its a interesting read but it could peee some of the poms off espec the long term ones (just basing this on previous threads) - being interesting to hear other peoples points of view on the mag -wonder if theres a NSW issue :biglaugh:

You no what Giz I was just thinking that. My intention of posting this was as said above couldnt believe there was actually a magazine by this name AND THAT IS ALL.

But maybe it will be classed as advertising ???? Not sure mods what you think please remove if you think its unsuitable as this was not my intention.

Janette

Its cool... I have spoken to Andy a number of times about the magazine. He was on the radio here the other day. Very amusing.

He has canvassed me about advertising in the magazine alas cannot afford the rates. Settled on a possible link exchange instead!

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Thanks Tim

I'm in WA & think its hilarious. And with 14,000 readers cant be all that bad.

For anyone thinking this magazine is just a pop at the brits please read the article Going for a thong ' the australian shirk ethnic soooo funny

Janette

Guest Andythewhingeing-pom
I couldn't believe it when I saw this magazine in the newsagents at the weekend :biglaugh:

Whingeing POM - Australia’s latest lifestyle publication

Janette

G'day, hello and good afternoon

Thanks for the comments on the magazine. Thankfully you have all seemed to pick up on the fact the magazine is tongue in cheek. I am a newcomer to Oz and WA coming from the deepest darkest parts of Croydon 6 months ago and Simon the editor who has been here on and off in the country for 15 years originates from Oxford. The mag in a nutshell is published to inform on all things good and bad on life in the UK and WA but the main aim is to promote it for what it is.....A Fantastic, beautiful place to live. We are launching east coast later in the year distributing in NSW, Queensland and Victoria. Anyone that fancies writing to us with comments on life here or comments on the magazine good or bad that would be great.

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Andy

I think the magazine is great. Keep up the good work.

See Gizmo you getting a NSW one soon :biglaugh:

Janette

Hi Andy

I think the magazine is great. Keep up the good work.

See Gizmo you getting a NSW one soon :biglaugh:

Janette

Great, I will have to get ma thinking cap on and get my 5 mins of fame in the mag :biglaugh:

Guest brummagem

One of the replies hit the nail on the head. Yes it does pee off long term expats. After 38 years here, we have seen any and all variations of POM, we have seen it in all shapes and sizes. I wonder if some of you will be so enthusiastic. about seeing it or hearing it on a daily basis after 38years. Just for a change I have been referring to myself as a Brit for the last few years. Too much POM is over the top.:goofy:

The UK and WA have more in common than you think. Both contain elements that are utterly, eye-wateringly sublime and, at the same time, both possess instances that are bone-crunchingly frustrating. There seems to be no neutral ground – you’re either ecstatic or you’re screaming.

143 UK Families immigrate to Western Australia every week. Almost 8,000 UK immigrants were awarded residency in WA last year.* This figure does not even include the tens of thousands of itinerant visitors or those on extended stays through working visas. Through tie-in deals with a variety of immigration companies, WPOM will be offered as part of every newcomer’s introduction to the country.

The UK resident population in WA is now approaching 500,000 with a larger disposable income than any other immigrant group. This population is in dire need of discovering decent suppliers of quality goods and services.

Most UK immigrants, before they arrive in Western Australia, have romanticised the ‘big move’ and are hoping to find something vaguely ‘Mediterranean’ when they get here. What we often discover is ‘Little Britain’; possibly created by the many long-serving Poms already entrenched here. This can initially lead to an overwhelming feeling of disappointment and a barrage of whinges, whines and complaints.

Interesting read, what do all you guys & gals in WA reckon ???

gizmo

I've only been here 15 months so a relative newbie, but I have to say that I've only been called a pom a hand full of times and never in a derogatory fashion and can only go off my own experiences which have been very positive so far.

I think people may have had a romantic notion of what Aus was like, but thanks to forums like this where people have spoken about their experiences here (good and bad), I think people are far more realistic about what lies ahead of them.

By the way Andy - My aussie colleague thought the term possie was excellent and really laughed, he said he's going to make me a card when I eventually swap my PR status for Citizenship

Ali

Guest brummagem

ALI, I think you missed the point entirely. I clearly stated. It is not the personal use that is the problem.The problem is the way the media usze it. Did you see the examples; POMMY WANKERS etc.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
ALI, I think you missed the point entirely. I clearly stated. It is not the personal use that is the problem.The problem is the way the media usze it. Did you see the examples; POMMY WANKERS etc.

Hi Brummagem,

Welcome to PIO.

People normally put there first post in the welcome section, introducing themselves.

I hope you can find the time to do so as well.

regards

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

I came across this mag via a link on PerthPoms a couple of weeks ago.

I think it is hilarious and the articles are beautifully well-written. I hope it will do very well.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Karen K

I have wrote to my friend to ask her to send me a copy so that i can sit here in the pouring rain and enjoy a good read.................carn't wait to be a Whinging Pom XX

Guest brummagem

Sorry about the lack of manners. I have now corrected my momentary lapse and submitted my personal details

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Sorry about the lack of manners. I have now corrected my momentary lapse and submitted my personal details

Sorry, you posted what and where please as I can't see anything as of yet?

Archived