vetassess joinery test

Guest Paul&Tracey1965

Guest Paul&Tracey1965

I have been informed today that I have passed my paper based assesment for the carpentry/joinery. I must now do the practical test in july. Has anybody done this or know of anybody who has done it and what is involved? been in the joinery 20 odd years and still nervous when tested. I have a job sponsor in Perth.

Paul:arghh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi Paul, my OH did his practical in April, and we are waiting for the results. If you click on this link VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services and then scroll down the page to the section just after all the dates/places for tests you will see Candidate Guide - UK Click on this and it will bring pages of the guide for you to have a look at and go over, this is the info my OH got through just before his test to go over.

Hope this helps a bit.

Andi. :spinny:

Guest chidge10

Hi Everyone.

I too am in the same boat. Ive been a joiner for about 24 years and have just sent in my paper based assesment to my agent, (Thinking Australia) I am shi*%ing myself about the test. Stupid I know, but so much relies on me passing it. Has anyone out there done it, or is there anyone who knows of a link to some info about it.

Cheers Ian:goofy:

Guest Rickard Family

:jiggy:Congratulations paul when did you submit your paperwork to oz? OH is carpenter/joiner going on a 175 paperwork was sent to oz 10th April and we just waiting to hear:arghh:our agent thinks he should make the july test(fingers crossed) looking at the vetassess website VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services .au think he has to go all the way to accrington to do it, good luck keep us posted.

Hi ian we are also with Thinking australia do you know when your test is yet?

As to what the test involes hubby wrote a post titled Skills test! and had some really great replies if you go on to our name then search our posts you should find it.

Good luck to all and let us know how you get on. Lou

Guest Paul&Tracey1965
:jiggy:Congratulations paul when did you submit your paperwork to oz? OH is carpenter/joiner going on a 175 paperwork was sent to oz 10th April and we just waiting to hear:arghh:our agent thinks he should make the july test(fingers crossed) looking at the vetassess website VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services .au think he has to go all the way to accrington to do it, good luck keep us posted.

Hi ian we are also with Thinking australia do you know when your test is yet?

As to what the test involes hubby wrote a post titled Skills test! and had some really great replies if you go on to our name then search our posts you should find it.

Good luck to all and let us know how you get on. Lou

I am also with thinking Australia. Submitted my paperwork and it took 4 weeks for a reply good luck

• 1 year later...
Guest andy1865

Hi everyone, just registered to this site and been looking through all your questions, I too am emigrating to Oz and waiting for my papers to come through for the test, i have gone with access migration, Kerry her name is and she is brill, I am also sh****g my self about the test as i have done joinery/carpentry for around 20 years but never had the C&G qualification so have been back on a course to gain the papers for this but didn't do much on roofing or bridle joints so looks like i will have to book another week to practice it at a cost of £395 :arghh: if anyone has now passed could you give me some info on how it all went and what to expect, Good luck to you all and hope we can get together for a bbq when we all get there.

:cool:

Andy

hi we too are with thinking australia. oh completed his skills asses with vetasses last july he says its just like your trade test when you qualify basic stuff, pitched roof, partitions and doors just more pressure due to if you dont pass you need to pay again . dont no about the joinery one though that was carpentry but they be roughly the same. good luck everyone

Guest andy1865

Hi and cheers for the info, think i will be going for the joinery as roofing not my thing but can't wait to get out of this place so willing to do anything, the prices are going up now as so many people trying to move out there so it's gonna get even harder, if anyone is on here that has managed to get there please let us know how you are getting on. Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andy1865

Hi hope all goes well on the 10th for you, just got mine through for the 29 oct for joinery but i would rather have taken the carpentry one but will do my best whatever, good luck to everyone and keep me informed how it all goes, Andy

Guest Midlanders

Hi

My OH did his Carpentry skills test in April and passed. My Oh practiced the pitched roof in the garden a couple of times before his skills test, as he had not done any roofing work for years and used specified 30 deg pitches

A couple of people on his skills test did not pass, so its not straight forward for everyone as they ask you 3-4 lots of sections of questions with around 15 in each section ranging from H&S, which they are very big on, so make sure you take and wear all your safety gear, they cover scaffolding parts and ask you about fitting it together as this is part of the skills test toom ( around 60 questions in all)

I suggest you look on the vetassess website which give you the tasks you have to do, like the roof and a making a saw horse.

If you have applied for carpentry & joinery skills, the joiner side is very much based on bench had joiner skills from what others had said, ie making doors and windows - which includes working on shop machineary, spindle moulder etc and service them (cleaning, changing settings etc) as one fella applied under the wrong trade skill number and on the day for his skills test could not do the tests as he had no experience on workshop machinery, so had to appeal to vetassess and get his skill code changed so he could just do the carpentry test. Hope this makes sence.

If you need any further help, just pm us.

Best of luck

Judy & Darren

Guest Natty T
hi, my oh goes for his vetasses carpentry practical 10th aug, could you please enlighten us as to what questions you get asked etc...

all advice welcome..

thanks

lynsey, karl, and girls - karlece, kadie and ragen

Hi, my hubby did the test 23rd july and passed, a great relief, if you want to chat to him pm your number or i will give you his. All the best Natalie :spinny:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dave&jancook
I have been informed today that I have passed my paper based assesment for the carpentry/joinery. I must now do the practical test in july. Has anybody done this or know of anybody who has done it and what is involved? been in the joinery 20 odd years and still nervous when tested. I have a job sponsor in Perth.

Paul:arghh:

hi all

We are with Thinking Oz Agent and my other half is also a joiner/carpenter. Well done for passing paper work! Yep my hubby Dave has done his practical and passed!!!

He was to (Sh****g) himself. but he was fine! Apparantly there is a lot to do with roofing! The guys who run the test are really helpful so dont panic too much!!!!

We are going to Queensland on 176 State Sponser, we originally were going on 175 but changed it to 176 because it would have taken us lot longer to get there on 175! and I cant wait any longer really want to go now!!!!

Good Luck!

Jan & Dave

Guest andy1865
i did my test yesterday at accrington college and i was so bricking it, i thought i was gonna pass out, the pressure i put on myself was ridiculous, but its the not knowing what you are going to have do on the day that makes you feel so nervous

i,ve been joinering and cabinet making for around twenty years,i even had my own bespoke kitchen and joinery workshop with machinery for about five years so i felt sure id be fine with the test

heres what i had to do on the day

1, MAKE A SAW HORSE ! (sounds easy but them angles can really mess with your mind when your under that pressure) add to that i,ve never ever made one before

2, face and edge plane a section of pine on the planer ( easy )

3, square the section to size on the thicknesser (easy)

4, rebate a 10mm by 10mm out of it on the spindle moulder (easy)

(spindle moulder already setup)

5, then on a 8ft by 4ft sheet of ply with paper on i had to do a full scale working drawing of a door with a sash window in it, showing all the cross sections of the stiles and mortices etc (easy)

finally with the machined section i did, i had to make a haunched mortice and tennon joint with the tennon going right through, all just with hand tools chisels etc

and my technical interview was just a chat about where i have worked and what i do for a living with a few easy questions like, whats the grinding angle of a chisel!

judging by what i,ve read on other peoples tests i think i got quite an easy one, now waiting to find out if i passed is going to be the hardest thing of all

hope this info helps some of you guys!!

Great info thanks very much, i am doing the joiner test but have not used a spindle moulder so papping myself now, the other stuff seems fine and will brush up on the theory, do they help you through it or is it a big mass of presure from the begining as most of my time i have done carpentry and city & guilds in that but when i got the test back for joinery i thought oh s--t, do they ask how to maintain the machines and so on and any more info would be a great help, my test is at the same place on 29 oct, haven't slept since for worrying about it :arghh: but thanks again for posting that info. Andy

Guest guest20273
well done i think you will pass good luck!!

thanks a lot guys got everything crossed waiting to find out the result

Guest andy1865

LOL, great info thanks for that, i just need to brush up on a few things and from what you have said it now gives me an idea what there looking for, I've just added ya i think as a frient request but after having a few beers may have done something wrong so will check tom when normal, :SLEEP: thanks again and best of luck with yours, by the sounds of it i think you will walk it, cheers for now... Andy :notworthy:

Guest andy1865

Hi mate, sent you a few messages on the friend request thing but not sure if you are getting them as it still says i have a friend request in my notification so not sure what i'm doing wrong, just booked a refresher course and a day course doing spindle moulding as not done that before, i always use router with table so i know it's still the same but rather do it right, have ya had any new yet, just think we have to get through all this and thats ony half way :-( feels like its going on forever, oh well hope your news comes through soon and stay focused, C Ya later m8. Andy

Hi i did my test in Jan 2009 and it was easy the work they ask you is just basic and if you really are a carpenter you have nothing to worry about, the question they ask you are easy to IE how do you 2nd fix a house and mostly safety question so no need to worry guys.

Guest andy1865

Cheers fella and just be patient, no news is good news, forgot to ask before but when you draw out the sash and door do they just give you the drawing and you just copy in large scale or make it up, can't believe this is doing my nut in so much, on the carpentry side it was just the roof i had a few probs thinking about but on joinery with the bloody rod and drawing stuff along with the saw horse i feel like giving up before i get going, done a repair on a sash and made casement windows but do i need to study all the termanology of the flippin thing too, this better be all worth it in the end as i may be demented by that time, cheers for now. Andy

Guest andy1865
Hi i did my test in Jan 2009 and it was easy the work they ask you is just basic and if you really are a carpenter you have nothing to worry about, the question they ask you are easy to IE how do you 2nd fix a house and mostly safety question so no need to worry guys.

Hi and cheers for the reply, as i'm in between carpentry/joinery there was always gonna be something i hadn't done allot on as roof and spindle moulder in my case, should be ok with the other stuff but its the not knowing what to expect that is worrying me, the drawing of the window and door and silly stuff like that but i hope it will all become clear when i get there, oh well i will just plod on and try to gain as much knowlage as i can, thanks again. Andy

Guest guest20273

basically you get a drawing of a door on an a4 piece of paper with the actuall size measurements so all your doing really is copy drawing to scale, just with a few extra drawings like the side sections with the mortice holes and shoulders showing , and the tennons drawn on

basically a working scale drawing that a workshop might use as a master template if they where making 100,s of the same door, this bits a doddle m8 so dont worry about that

Archived