Proud As Punch

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

My eldest daughter (17) has got her first job, only left school three weeks ago. It is in a small heating installation firm and she will be manning the front desk. Even though she has a very good typing speed they are willing to pay for her NVQ's and Diplomas in all manner of secretarial skills.

The wage is minimal, but I am so proud of her because I have said relentlessly that money isn't everything and being happy is the most important factor of ANY job if at all possible.

She went in with her eyes open and knew straight away this was the job for her, even though the wages are minimal. She looked toward the future and as I said I am so proud of her for taking a job that many would say was 'menial'.

It's also a bit sad, seeing my eldest growing up and moving away from me and her mum, but these things are meant to be, and have I said I'M SO PROUD OF HER'.

It will be a sad day when she leaves, for all the arguments the happiness she brings all of us is immeasurable. I've now off to try and fray the old apron stings a bit.

Cheers Tony:unsure:

Guest lutonmatt

but also a good day as now she can start paying rent/house keep

my mum was clad when i started work as then i could start paying her some money lol

Congrats!

and great that they're willing to help her get further qualifications, secretarial work isn't just typing, and this will help her climb the ladder onto positions with more responsibility and more than minimal wages... gotta start somewhere, and it's a credit to you as a parent that she's got a good dose of common sense and is not expecting a high wage to just fall into her lap as a school leaver.

Know what you mean Tony, as as the other poster says, secretarial work is in demand, there is a course here which some degree graduates go on to do because it is such good money (Graduate Certificate - Executive Assistant). There is so much to be said for a reliable and capable right hand person to run an organisational office.

My daughter is waiting to start a course in February, and for the meantime is doing xmas packing at one of the local wineries on the outskirts of Melbourne, she says it's hard work but it 's well paid and she likes the money until xmas, and she also gets 4 bottles of wine a week just for working there, luckily she hands them over to her mother, wouldn't want to encourage her to drink now:laugh:

Archived