Fishing Rods? Fishing etc

Rudi

We are off out on Sunday and I thought I might get my kids some fishing rods......

Except I know NOTHING about fishing at all - and I really do mean NOTHING!

It looks like you can pick up a pretty cheap rod in places like Big W. Is this all I need? I guess they need a bucket or something? Bait? Does it have to be proper bait or just food stuff? What else? I don't really want this to be a hugely expensive exercise.

What about if they catch something? What do we do with it? :eek: Do we stick it in a bucket of water and then tip it back into the sea later? Do we eat it? :arghh:

Any help would be REALLY REALLY appreciated!!!

Love

Rudi

x

G'day mate, suggest that you check out Budd's Bait and Tackle. Ask the bloke at the counter for all the pertinant info and what type of fish you are likely to come across and the size limits.

Budd's Bait & Tackle ‎3/30 Shore St W, Cleveland QLD 4163(07) 3821 1240‎

Cheers, Bobj.

If your just doing it for fun off the beach or river bank, buy the cheapy rods. Hubby spent a fortune on 2 rods and $40 on 2 bright pink cheappy rods from Big W. The pink ones seem to pull loads more fish in (i think its because they are lighter and the kids can feel that slight tug),lol, its funny as when we all go fishing ,everyone argues over who has the pink cheap rods,lol.

Cal x

Guest guest30038

You need to familiarise yourself with the fishing regs first as being caught with an undersize fishy in a bucket can attract a hefty fine. Look here: Recreational fishing (Primary Industries & Fisheries, Queensland)

Try your local BCF store and speak to one of the salesmen. explain that you don't want to spend an arm and a leg initially and they'll guide you in the right direction.

kev

HOLY MOLY!!! :chatterbox: Thank you for the link!

That is sooooo complicated! How am I supposed to know what sort of fish they catch!! There are TONS listed on there :cry:

This is looking like a BAD idea!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038
HOLY MOLY!!! :chatterbox: Thank you for the link!

That is sooooo complicated! How am I supposed to know what sort of fish they catch!! There are TONS listed on there :cry:

This is looking like a BAD idea!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Don't worry chook, if you're fishing from the shore it is likely that you'll only catch whiting, flathead and bream so remeber those 3 (although there are different types of flathead and whiting).

if you ring the DPI&F they will send you a hard copy of the rules and an id chart. You can also buy the id charts at most tackle shops.

Remember that kids have a short attention span so if they get bored holding the rod, divert them for a while by talking about the shells, birds, and other marine creatures, and also conservation and litter. kids take to fishing more if they're learning and feel responsible. I found it great therapy for troubled foster kids.

kev

Guest Working to fish

Bugger all that just do the same as the local foreigners (not poms) do go to Big W, spend $4 on a hand line then go off to your local jetty stick a prawn on your hook and catch whatever. Disregard the species, size, Australian laws, stick em in a bucket, take them home and cook them up i've seen many people doing it, just don't do it when i'm fishing on the jetty as i tend to frown at this.

All the best and tight lines.

:wink:

Well I ended up with three cheapy rods from Kmart!

Bloody stupid thing fishing is if you ask me!!! :rolleyes:

We started off, sausage as bait, and dangling the rods.......caught NOTHING!

Some lovely Scottish bloke took pity on me and gave me 3 big weights - one for each rod and some squid!

STILL CAUGHT NOTHING!!!

Some other bloke then gave me some sea worms or something.....he said he'd caught heaps of fish using them.....

BUT I CAUGHT NOTHING!!!!

However, I did learn how to use the rod and throw it way out - I felt like a pro! Yet another nice Scottish bloke taught me how to do that!

Oh yeah - and in the 10 mins it took me to wander over and go to the loo, my hubby caught a fish!!! Tiny thing which we threw back.....but still VERY unfair!!!!

I had a fabby day! It is the most relaxing and yet frustrating things to do! I can't wait to go again! :laugh:

Love

Rudi

x

Rudi where did you go? Hubby, Zak and a few more have been down at Fingal Heads all day fishing?

Glad you had a good time.

Cal x

We were up at Wellington Point - I was very antisocial!!! I met with "Nurse Sue" from on here and a few others who post, but not often......but I spent all my time on the Jetty!!!!!

I hope your hubby had a more successful day than us!

Fingal Heads is beautiful!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038

Rudi, you're a silly bugger!..........sausage for bait! :swoon: Dontcha know, even the fish know sausages in Oz are crap! :biglaugh:

kev

Rudi, you're a silly bugger!..........sausage for bait! :swoon: Dontcha know, even the fish know sausages in Oz are crap! :biglaugh:

kev

LOL, I honestly thought that they would eat sausage!!! Ah well - I know better now! I did tell y'all at the beginning of this thread that I knew NOTHING about fishing :cute:

I am an expert now!! I can cast, I have weights and prawns seemed to be the popular choice on the menu for the fish today.....so that's what we'll be using next time!!

Love

Rudi

x

Archived