Im new to the forum so please go easy on me!!
Im looking for any advice people can give me to get me moving in the right direction.
I travelled in oz as a backpacker 10 years ago and fell in love with the place.... Back then i was offered the chance to stay but it came too late as at that time i had already booked my tickets home and got my head around the fact that my trip was nearly over..
So 10 years on and after a year working and travelling on NZ i got in touch with the guy that offered me sponsorship all those years ago and again he offered to sponsor me..... Not a hard decision really, Sydney...... or London in a recession?????
So i now find myself on a 457 visa (+ girlfriend/defacto) in Sydney, a city i love, but in a job that i hate.
I took my old employer at his word when he offered me this sponsorship and it seemed like a great opportunity but it seems that by sponsoring me all he has done is guarantee himself cheap labour for 2 years. Hes underpaying me, giving me the S%&T work that noone else wants to do and failing to provide the tools and resources i need to carry out the job properly. I received an improvement notice today from a contractor i was working for, this was due to the condition and lack of testing of some of his safety equiptment. I should by rights refuse to use this stuff but his attitude is that if i dont like it i can..... and i quote..... 'F**k off' At least that was his attitude towards me when i asked for more money....
Ive had a look on the net and if he chooses to cancel my visa then it seems ill have 28 days or possibly 3 months (found conflicting info) to try and find alternative employment in line with my visa category. At this point im pretty fed up with it all and am thinking it might be for the best to head back to the uk but i might stir up some **** for him and make sure i make the most of anything im entitled to......
Ive read that as he sponsored me he is obliged to foot the cost for returning me and my girlfriend to the uk on a standard 'reasonable' economy fare plus the cost of getting to the airport.
Also ive hard that he has to pay me for the 28 days after i stop working for him?
Anyone have any experience in this situation?
When i did the visa application i paid all the fees to an immigration consultant. I think it was equivalent to £1500, maybe au$3000? Ive learned since that this isnt the norm?
Also, as yet ive not seen any sign of a contract from him.
He is a complete cowboy but as yet i dont think he knows how unhappy i am, im still working for him and 'biting my tongue' as it were! We are signed up to a 6 month lease on our flat which expires in August so i figure ill hang it out till then, enjoy the mild winter, build up a little case for myself then sting him for a months money and some flights home?
Unless anyone has any better ideas?
Thanks in advance...........