• Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Title
      The photo is of Bribie :)
      Liked
      495 times
      Rep

OK, so what IS expensive and cheap in Australia?

Seen a few posts from people who think that alot of things in Australia are expensive compared to the UK.

This is a thread that will (hopefully) give people who are not yet here a good idea of what really does cost alot in Australia, and a chance for other members to pass on useful information as to where these items can be purchased cheaper (if it's possible to do that).

I hope that it will also help people decide what to bring with them if they can ship it over instead of buying it here (again, if that's possible).

Please could the poster also try to quote a current price for what they think is expensive, so others can see why they think that.

I'll start: I live in Queensland and think that the following things are expensive here compared to the UK:

Vitamin supplements - eg Centrum Tablets Multi Vitamins 60pk Price $19.76 at Woolworths

Bedding - Target (not an expensive store) generally sells sheet sets for around $$70 -$100 but can be much more expensive

The plastics storage containers you use in the kitchen - a cereal container form Woolworths costs around $15.00

Cheaper items are meat from a "super butcher" market style shop, and vegetables purchased from a fruit and veg shop - typically, 20 yearling steaks has cost me recently around $20 or less, and you can get avocados & small pineapples for 9c each, and for $5.00 you can get 2 big punnets of strawberries. Of course, it is cheaper to buy fruit and veg that's in season, the same as it would be anywhere.

This isn't a UK vs Australia thread, just a way to show how much things do really cost and how to save money on the advice of other members.

I'll come back if I think of any more :idea:

Sue x
      Last edited by sykestykes; 11-03-2010 at 11:37 PM.

"You Can Tell A Yorkshire Lass, You Just Cannot Tell Her Much "

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4080 times
      Rep
      Hi,

I agree totally with what you say, but as probably shop at the same shops that is not so surprising.

I think when you move to Australia you have to learn to shop, and not just use supermarkets who can be very expensive.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1450 times
      Rep
      The problem Sue, is you need to know where to look, on face value Australia is very expensive,but so is the UK!

You can go to auction house's and buy new furniture, white goods (brand new) for a fraction of the price as you can in the shops, another place is Bob's bargins where you can buy scrach and dent as well as end of line stocks. You can find loads of genuine factory outlets to buy bedding clothes etc etc, the only problem is it takes time to find them, so my advise would be......... bring everything until you can find the right shops even if it's crap at least it will give you time to wait until it's on sale
      Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1)

Title
      Retired
      Liked
      1795 times
      Rep
      I'd find this really hard to answer, as everything that we have bought here seemed so much cheaper than the UK.................but that's down to the fact that we couldn't afford bugger all when we lived in the UK, whereas our living standard has improved so much since due to career/salary improvement for my o/h.

My recent visit though, did open my eyes to groceries............I even found Booths cheap!............cheap cooked chickens, porkie pies (yummy) and of course...............grog

kev

Title
      The photo is of Bribie :)
      Liked
      495 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by tracy123 View Post
      The problem Sue, is you need to know where to look, on face value Australia is very expensive,but so is the UK!

You can go to auction house's and buy new furniture, white goods (brand new) for a fraction of the price as you can in the shops, another place is Bob's bargins where you can buy scrach and dent as well as end of line stocks. You can find loads of genuine factory outlets to buy bedding clothes etc etc, the only problem is it takes time to find them, so my advise would be......... bring everything until you can find the right shops even if it's crap at least it will give you time to wait until it's on sale
      Excellent post, thanks Geoffrey, I totally agree on bringing it all with you - I really wish I had!!

Sue x
      "You Can Tell A Yorkshire Lass, You Just Cannot Tell Her Much "

Title
      From Bury,Manchester To Jimboomba, Brisbane
      Liked
      9971 times
      Rep
      I find most things cheaper here but as Geoffrey has said ,it takes time to find the best places to shop at, even then i find they may not be close together so one week i shop at one place, for toiletries i go to another town once a month and stock up etc etc

The major things i find cheaper here are -

Car insurance (fully comp) - approx $600 yr
      House & contents Ins - $970 pr year
      Rates (based on 2 acers) - approx $1600 yr

All less than what we paid in the UK
      Cal x
      If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...
      If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      250 times
      Rep
      cheaper - running a car
      dearer - buying the car to start with

cheaper - wine
      dearer - beers and spirits

cheaper - shopping at greengrocers, butchers, markets
      dearer - one stop shopping

Dearer - manchester & doonas
      Priceless - laughing at their names for bedding and duvets

swings and roundabouts really

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      829 times
      Rep
      I find this one quite difficult because I think it also depends on where you were living before you moved here.
      After only being here 10 months this is what I have found.

Meat is cheaper in the butchers sometimes.
      Buying seasonal fruit and veg is cheaper
      Dental treatment is scary even with excellent insurance cover
      Prescriptions cost a lot more here ( only $5.00 in Scotland )
      Books WOW we buy from Amazon and the book Depository
      Alcohol is really expensive.We rely on visitors buying at duty free and buying cases of wine from Cellar Doors at the vineyards.
      Perfumes and aftershaves cost the earth as do anti wrinkle creams ( I use loads !!!!)
      You do have to take into account where I live though.The Sutherlandshire area of Sydney does seem expensive to me.We travel a lot and I noticed the difference in prices when we were in Tweed Heads.
      I no longer skinny dip,I now chunky dunk

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      13 times
      Rep
      Petrol is obviously cheaper here, depending on where you are of course as I have seen it over $2.00 in the middle of nowhere but generally cheaper.
      Overall I'm not sure it is cheaper to run a car, it depends on the car itself. A small economical car in the UK is taxed at 35 quid whereas the same vehicle here would cost around $700 for registration and CTP. Comprehensive insurance seems cheaper in the UK but again it depends on the vehicle and the area.
      Groceries generally seem to be cheaper in the UK as do clothes and books. Whitegoods and electronics (TV'S etc) seem to be pretty much the same.
      Rates for us are $2000 a year in the 'burbs so they seem higher than the UK, again depending on area of course.
      I would say overall there is little if anything in it between the 2 countries as far as the cost of living. The amazing thing about that is that as little as 5 years ago Britain was concerned an expensive place to live in comparison to here.

Title
      Cousin Jack
      Liked
      387 times
      Rep
      Just spoke to a friend who is on a bike ride from Brisbane to Albany for the Starlight Foundation. He is an aussie, and his statement was how very expensive West Australia was. It is his first visit, and he cannot get over the cost of everything, beer especially and English beer, they are really ripping off the expats, of which there are many. Apart from the climate all the various accents he thought he was in the UK. He is one very glad man he does not live there.Just added , not because of the poms, but the costs!
      Last edited by kernow43; 12-03-2010 at 02:26 AM.
      "640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

•  
    Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast