Good areas to live around Melbourne?

Guest PaulandJulie

Guest PaulandJulie

Possibly going to work in North Melbourne and not looking at wanting long commute into work but not wanting to live in city centre, any guide / knowledge of surrounding suburbs and where's nice to live would be helpful.

Guest dedicate2

There's something like 550 suburbs in Melbourne. You can drive on a motorway for 30 mins and still be in Melbourne. So you may need to be a little more specific about what you mean by North Melbourne to get some feedback on the suburbs.

Guest jenpaul

Hey Paulandjulie

North Melbourne is very well connected in terms of trains as I think 4 lines run through there before reaching the city, so you guys have plenty of options available for choosing somewhere to live, possible too many!

If you go North from North Melb. there are plenty of nice places to choose from, we are recent arrivals to Melbourne and currently live in Moonee Ponds, which is a very nice area and around 15 mins from the city by train, 10 from North Melb.

Real estate around here is expensive to buy but not too bad for rentals, it obviously depends on what you are after but the place is lively on a weekend as it has plenty of cafes and good restaurants to choose from, several bars and a half decent shopping centre, a much bigger shopping centre (Highpoint) is only 5/10 mins away by car/tram.

I can't comment too much on other areas around here as we haven't been here long enough to find out, but from speaking to other Brits in the area, Essendon,

Kensington and Newmarket are all 'decent' areas worth checking out, and judging by the amount of people queuing at rental open inspections in Brunswick, that seems to be a very popular area too

Hopefully some other folks will post on here to give you more ideas…

Good Luck

Paul & Jen

:wink:

Guest The Pom Queen

I worked in North Melbourne for a few years and you have some lovely areas around. If you are young and love to be close by to the action, I would look at Carlton, Parkville, Flemington. If you want to be further out then look at suburbs like Kew, Balwyn, Clifton Hill. A lot of people like Doncaster and surrounding areas also.

Good luck with the move

Kate

Archived