How do we cope?

Guest clayton gang

Guest clayton gang

I have not been on this site for a while but, I was just wondering how people cope with sad news when you are in Oz. We are due to move to Australia next year but. very recently our lifes have been turned upside down. Does it make you think about who you have left back in the UK?

Our beautiful niece was killed in car crash on Sunday. She was just 20 years old.

Guest guest30085

Im not in Oz so cant really help in that respect but may I just offer my sincere condolonces in what must be a very difficult and devastating event in your life. My prayers are for you and your family at this sad time :hug: x

Guest siamsusie
I have not been on this site for a while but, I was just wondering how people cope with sad news when you are in Oz. We are due to move to Australia next year but. very recently our lifes have been turned upside down. Does it make you think about who you have left back in the UK?

Our beautiful niece was killed in car crash on Sunday. She was just 20 years old.

:hug:So very sad to hear your news Clayton gang. I wish you and all of the family concerned strength to get through this dreadful time.

In answer to your question, I think it is one of our worst fears being so far away that something like this should happen.

A collegue of my husbands recently had a call to say his son had been murdered in London and he and his wife received " the call". This is the tough part of emigrating and nothing will prepare you for it unfortunately.

My sincere condolences to you all over there on the tragic loss of such a young life.

Love Susie:hug: xx

Guest Guest31881

I am so sorry to hear your sad news and my condolences to you and your family.

I recently lost a very good friend who 12 months ago was submitting statements in support of my visa application. She and her husband were going to come and see us in the Spring of 2010, Unfortunately 12 weeks ago she was taken ill, and died 8 weeks later.

It is at those times it brings home to you just how far you are away from home. I would loved to have attended the funeral and been there to support her husband.

In answer to your Question, Yes it does make you think about the family you have left behind, and one of my priorities is making sure I have enough money saved to pay for a plane ticket to get me home to UK quickly if the need ever arises.

But you cannot allow yourselves to dwell on thoughts of “what if”, just have a plan on what to do if the need ever arises, and then forget it until such time as you have to think about it.

Guest siamsusie
I

In answer to your Question, Yes it does make you think about the family you have left behind, and one of my priorities is making sure I have enough money saved to pay for a plane ticket to get me home to UK quickly if the need ever arises.

But you cannot allow yourselves to dwell on thoughts of “what if”, just have a plan on what to do if the need ever arises, and then forget it until such time as you have to think about it.

The above is so true Colin, we do the exactly the same. I would be very sad if I couldnt get back if the need arose:wubclub: Susie

:hug: so sorry to hear about your niece,, condolences to your family.

We had a close friend pass away last year and i must admit it did sort of hit home about how far away we actually are here. We couldn't afford to return for his funeral so had to settle for prayers and a bunch of flowers.

On the flip side,,

It made us realise life can sadly be cut short anytime, so enjoy every moment you can and take every opportunity your given and use it to the full,,,

Cal x

Guest itskaren

Dreadful :sad: so sorry to hear about this. I suppose you can take it either way. Grab the opportunity while you can life is too short etc. Or life is too short to be going to the other side of the world. Family is everything.

Guest PommieLady

My deepest sympathy for your sad news. Unfortuantley there is nothing you can really do to prepare yourself for this type of event when you are living so far away. My father passed a few months after my arrival, as you can imagine I had no annual leave and was only allowed two days leave. It was a shock but I accepted that I had no option and have had no regrets over my decisions. However a friend of mine recently lost their mother and they 'virtually' attended the funeral and had a wake over here.

The only thing I would like to have been able to go over to the UK on short notice was for my sister's wedding. We had only just gotten back from our holidays so I had no leave left, we were also about to move interstate I had no option I couldn't go. Fortunatley my sister had not expected me to go, and the fact that they are already seperated has eased it a little, I didn't even meet him until after they were married.

Its not being part of peoples lives that is the hardest thing and is something that comes with migration, its a tough decision too make.

Stef

x

So sorry to hear your sad news. Although a greater distance now seperates my dad and I, reality meant that even if I had been living in the UK, if something happed to him suddenly then I still may not have been able to be there as we lived in different towns. We do have an emergency fund for flights should the need arise

Archived