Remembrance Day

nik_kershaw

As a former soldier I will be down at the Australian War Memorial showing my respect for the fallen, especally as some of them were friends of mine. And afterwards I may have a few down the Canberra Services Club. I have also managed to get a few British poppies as well.

So what are you guys doing on the 11/11 at 11am?

I will be observing the silence on the 11th as will my husband who works on a busy site at our Norwich University and i hope our daughter's High School will observe it too.

Gail x

Guest Magnetic6
I doubt any schools in England will even mention it to the kids

Brooksey i think you might be suprised. At my son's school the kids have been selling poppies on behalf of the British Legion at breaktime and when i mentioned it to a friend who lives in a different area, her childrens school were doing the same. I think it's a great idea.

Sue i agree with you about the sight of old soldiers, always brings a tear to my eyes.

At 11, i'll explain to my kids why we're being silent.

Natalie x

I doubt any schools in England will even mention it to the kids

I think you are wrong there, both my children are aware of the great wars, 1st and 2nd and are aware of soldiers today fighting in different parts of the world, and they have learnt this from the great education at schools, my eldest walked through the trenches in Belgium and was made aware of the great sacrafices made by all soldiers from around the world that laid down their lives for us. So please do not make comments like this when there are hundreds of teachers around England trying to educate our kids.

Wore my poppy witgh immense pride this weeken (only wekend to buy them in oz) went to the boat moindarie nwt up with friends not a poopy to be seen apart from mine ,took a bit of **** from a yong lad bbout wearin a flower , after red mist had cleared eloquently told him about respect , but its the same in oz all this **** about anzac day irs not rersoect but discipline and a day off there were diggers in lost there lives in the first second world wars so thought there would be some respect obviously not here the boys selin coluld as much beeen sellin for an islamic gay fundamental grouup

Feel dissapointed in fact 0issed off bout aussies poms not being respectful for evwery fallen bloke in the wars fighting for ideals they had not a clue about gonna attach a wilfred owen poem later

My greraT GRANDAD gREAT UNCLE lost in the great war villages decimated younguns need to know this ,it was a great adventure which was a carnage

Mally

GG you kicked ass

Bought our poppies this weekend too Mal and wearing them with Pride. They usually observe the minutes silence at work and my daughter said they always do it at school. We've always told the children about the significance of the event and in the UK they always inisted on buying their poppy from an 'old soldier' so they could say thank you. When you think that in the first and second world wars - boys lied about their age to get in and never came home .... it brings a lump to your throat when you think of their sacrifice.

YES aLi duriing my research for my history degree with the OU ( yes i cwn really read nd write0 i found out about the pals ij the first world war where entire villages lost therir young lads esp in the north where we are from , there was a village in Lancashire where the population was in 1918 young blokes 10 -25 - 3 blokes and 53 widows at the same age some with young kids,. Lost me great g he was 23 with 2 kids , futility of war , what pisses me off is the rise of fascism just lest than 100 years what the blokes spilled their guts for

Mally

sorry for language but felt it was needed

Guest Coolcat

We have worn our poppies with pride this last week, both my hubby and I are ex HM Forces so make it a point to always remember this special time. Our son has always known about rememberance day, he also studied this at school back in Uk. I think we have an obligation as parents to educate our children about the soldiers who gave the biggest sacrifice of all, and indeed all those still serving on the front line, our thoughts go out to them too. I know some of you will say its their choice but it is still not easy especially for the families. I will be observing the one minute of silence tomorrow at work. It will be hard because Im a theatre nurse but will do it all the same. It doesnt cost anything and after all it is out of respect, Im sure my son will be the same when he is older..!

Guest The Bishop's

Got our poppies and kids will be wearing them to school even though we are the other side of the world we will always remember those soliders who were brave and died for their country my son is going to ask for a minute silence at school bless him.

OK I have a problem. As it is my first rememberance service out of the forces I am not sure what I should wear. If i was back in the UK I would be wearing a suit but as it's going to be about 30 deg C tomorrow, I am not sure what I am to wear, also should I wear my medals etc?

Idea's please

Wore my poppy witgh immense pride this weeken (only wekend to buy them in oz) went to the boat moindarie nwt up with friends not a poopy to be seen apart from mine ,took a bit of **** from a yong lad bbout wearin a flower , after red mist had cleared eloquently told him about respect , but its the same in oz all this **** about anzac day irs not rersoect but discipline and a day off there were diggers in lost there lives in the first second world wars so thought there would be some respect obviously not here the boys selin coluld as much beeen sellin for an islamic gay fundamental grouup

Feel dissapointed in fact 0issed off bout aussies poms not being respectful for evwery fallen bloke in the wars fighting for ideals they had not a clue about gonna attach a wilfred owen poem later

My greraT GRANDAD gREAT UNCLE lost in the great war villages decimated younguns need to know this ,it was a great adventure which was a carnage

Mally

GG you kicked ass

you are wrong about anzac day not being observed , all the retirement villages especially the RAAF villages come out in force there are a lot of decorated people both men and women who march , the dawn service is always well obseved as is the service at anzac cove in turkey.

i remember when the vietnam vetrans were first invited to march in the Anzac parade 20 years to late , and how emotianal it was , to be drafted into war and do what your govt tells you then to come back to australia and be spat up on in the streets and not be aknowledged in the Anzac day parade , absoloutely awful/

Guest Guest31881
OK I have a problem. As it is my first rememberance service out of the forces I am not sure what I should wear. If i was back in the UK I would be wearing a suit but as it's going to be about 30 deg C tomorrow, I am not sure what I am to wear, also should I wear my medals etc?

Idea's please

Hi,

I think you will find that they wear suits, and of course you wear your medals, and wear them with pride. :notworthy:

Yep, definitely wear your suit and medals nik kershaw.

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had with some Aussies, yorkshirepom - I can tell you now, as a country we also lost many in the wars, you've had an unfortunate and unusual experience there. I've never heard of that happening before.

One thing I am aware of, is that in Perth at least, people tend to only wear the red poppy on the day, rather than leading up to it. Not sure why, it's just the custom, but it certainly doesn't mean a lack of respect for those who gave their lives in battle for us.

I was at the Australian War Memorial today and it was a really touching service. I was dissopointed that Kevin Rudd wasn't there, however it was a good day. Only 1 person from the guard was carried off as it was becoming a very hot day. I have also noticed that all the TV personalities are wearing their poppies as well but it looks like they are doing it for today only. When I went down to the Canberra Services club though there were hardly anyone in there, I was a little surprised. But I had a good day.

Guest brooksey
I think you are wrong there, both my children are aware of the great wars, 1st and 2nd and are aware of soldiers today fighting in different parts of the world, and they have learnt this from the great education at schools, my eldest walked through the trenches in Belgium and was made aware of the great sacrafices made by all soldiers from around the world that laid down their lives for us. So please do not make comments like this when there are hundreds of teachers around England trying to educate our kids.

Some of them need to try a bit harder then, and then maybe all the memorials won't be covered in grafiti

Guest austibeach

I think perhaps it should be noted, that in every RSL club in Australia, there is a mark of respect shown to those lost in wars , every evening at 6 o'clock. An announcement is made and everything stops ; all music turned off ; and everyone in the club will stand and face the memorial within the club and observe a minute of silence. I have always been impressed with this and I know my dad was considerably moved with it, whenever he was in Australia.

The observance is something respected by all nationalities and races and I have stood there with Germans, Italians, Serbians and many more and been proud to do so.

Eric.

I think the whole poppy buisness seems to be getting more and more press every year, when i was a kid i dont remember it being such a big thing and do not remember us observing the two minute silence at school, i wonder if it all has something to do with the lack of respect that our older teens and young adults have shown over the last few years and in a funny sort of way the poppy is a way to try and drill some respect into our youngsters, but then i could be talking bollocks. Anyway both schools my kids attend had various fund raising events and both observed the two minute silence as did our rugby club, my daughter has worn her poppy all week, she is 8 and my 7 year old both understand the meaning of wearing a poppy and what it stands for.

Archived