Australia, 2nd best place to live !

calNgary

Australia second best place to live

AUSTRALIA is the second best country to live in, according to a measure of global living standards which says Norway - yes, Norway - is number one.

Norway retained its status as the world's most desirable country, according to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) index released today, followed by Australia and then Iceland.

Full article can be read here - Australia second best place to live - UN | The Courier-Mail

Cal x

Guest guest17301

It's certainly a nice lifestyle. We've just got back from a quick trip to the beach for sunset. Just us...a young couple sitting with glasses of wine and a dad and his son on a jetski..... a very nice way to end the day. It's like lots of little 'holiday' moments which add up to everyday life. I think that's what makes it a desirable place to live.

There are many polls/surveys by numerous organisations on the best countries/cities to live in, generally Australia, Canada, New Zealand and their cities are in the top ten. Sydney is often near the top of those based on cost as in being rather expensive. Haven't been to Norway but have been to Iceland which was great during their summer/autumn, don't think I could cope with the winters though.

Guest proud2beaussie

As much as I absolutely love Australia and will always feel at home here I think these surveys are pretty useless,IMHO the best country to live in depends on what you personally want from a place ,where you feel the most comfortable ,for a lot of people Australia fits the bill but many others feel that whilst they enjoy the Australian way of live and the scenery etc they just don't feel at home here,it's maybe a truism but "Home is where the heart is" is spot on in my view,for me my heart will always be here in Australia but not everyone is going to agree with me.

I could no more live in a place like New York or Chicago than I could kive on the moon but that doesn't mean that it isn't perfect for others.

Guest guest17301

Hmm good point Nigel. I am wondering what makes settling easy for some and not others? For us Australia quickly felt and feels like 'home'. Does that mean we hated the UK? (we didn't..) or are we 'boring' and easily pleased, lol. It really does intrigue me as to what variables influence peoples thoughts and feelings about their 'home'. We are hardly eligible to call Perth home..we are here on a temporary visa (for now) but it felt right and good from the beginning. My heart is most definitely in Australia, I feel at 'home'...I wonder if I will always feel this way?

Guest flipflop

Australia is a good place to live as is the UK, I take these type od surveys with a pinch of salt to be honest as someone can be miserable and unhappy in the so called best place in the world, they change all the time....next week Spain will be the best place to live or France, it's not the place it's your mindset.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that Condé Nast Traveller has just voted Sydney as the best city to visit for the eighth year running. Perhaps the voters have never walked down George Street between Town Hall and Central, it's quite disgusting. I did visit Darling Harbour yesterday and that area is now looking really good particularly the wharfs end near to the cruise terminal and in the area of the maritime museum. Generally the area around Circular Quay and the Opera House also looks good especially for first time visitors, do wish that they would move that ugly railway station underground though, Paul Keating did offer the necessary $140 million to do it.

Australia second best place to live

AUSTRALIA is the second best country to live in, according to a measure of global living standards which says Norway - yes, Norway - is number one.

Norway retained its status as the world's most desirable country, according to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) index released today, followed by Australia and then Iceland.

Full article can be read here - Australia second best place to live - UN | The Courier-Mail

Cal x

I have travelled quite extensively - FRANCE for me by a long way ( as much as it pains me to say it )

• 4 months later...
Guest nmqpifo

Hi there,

Sorry for posting in this a-little-bit-old thread, but I just came across that report (the United Nations Development Programme one) and I think that the report in the couriermail.com.au is a bit misleading...

The UNDP report does not say or infer that the top countries are "the best countries to live" and I don't understand where they got it from. The report just says that those countries have high standards in things like child mortality, life expectancy etc. Things that most people in western countries take for granted in fact.

Though I find it great that Australia got such high rank, to say that a country is the best place to live because it has low illiteracy levels or low child mortality levels is a bit far fetched I think!

Don't get me wrong, in fact I will be proudly showing the UNDP report to everyone that I talk to about immigrating to Australia, however I think they tried to compare apples to bananas there... :)

Luis

Guest chris955

'and I think that the report in the couriermail.com.au is a bit misleading...'

Surely not ? :laugh:

I just read the reader comments after the story and I must admit to being surprised at the number of negative messages left, I'm not saying they are right or wrong but I would normally expect overwhelming positive comments. This one was funny '...Best fruit and veg, meat, climate, house affordability, employment, Lifestyle,,,,' especially the housing affordability part.

For interest it actually measures:

1. "living a long and healthy life (measured by life expectancy),"

2. "being educated (measured by adult literacy and gross enrolment in education) and "

3. "having a decent standard of living (measured by purchasing power parity, PPP, income)"

"By looking at some of the most fundamental aspects of people’s lives and opportunities the HDI provides a much more complete picture of a country's development than other indicators, such as GDP per capita. Figure 2 illustrates that countries on the same level of HDI can have very different levels of income or that countries with similar levels of income can have very different HDIs."

Archived