Not sure what to do for the best !

Guest dawn42

Guest dawn42

Hi Guys

We arrive in Perth end of October.We are not sure to enroll children in school for last term in November or start them in the new term in February.

My daughter (12) is keen to start in November,she wants to meet new friends asap, but my son is very keen not to !!:arghh:

My son (14) is not a good mixer and has been bullied through out his school life ( primary & secondary). I would hate for him to start in November then finish in December and dread going back over the summer holidays.:confused:

Anyone words of wisdom to help a troubled mum are very welcome X

Hi Guys

We arrive in Perth end of October.We are not sure to enroll children in school for last term in November or start them in the new term in February.

My daughter (12) is keen to start in November,she wants to meet new friends asap, but my son is very keen not to !!:arghh:

My son (14) is not a good mixer and has been bullied through out his school life ( primary & secondary). I would hate for him to start in November then finish in December and dread going back over the summer holidays.:confused:

Anyone words of wisdom to help a troubled mum are very welcome X

Hard one! We're arriving in Adelaide in mid-November and have decided to start everyone in February (then to be 13, 11 and 5). We were supposed to go last year in Mid October and we were planning to enroll the eldest two for the last half term to make friends before CHristmas hols. But our delay and arrival in Nov means only about 2 weeks left of school so they suggested waiting. It could be a LONG holiday without friends. At least it will be the summer we aren't having this year!! I'm still hoping they will let us pop in and see school/get uniform, etc.

Good luck with your choice!

I think is a personal choice to each child.

When we arrived end of April, my youngest (6) started after 2 weeks but my eldest (then 14) who is shy and not a good mixer waited a few more weeks. Personally I think they are better going asap as they will make friends and 3/4 months is a long time out of school.

Good luck with your decision

To be honest we did not think he would ever settle!! In the UK he had very little time off and when he started here he wouldn't go, kept coming home and his best was going to the sick room and they would send him home.

He did not like it. Then they had the 2 weeks holdiday and he went back to school and seems to have now settled..he hasn;t missed one day, really doing well and enjoying the lessons. Different child this term.

It is hard for the first few weeks trying to make friends and settle into the lessons but keep at it and they will get through it.

Good luck,

Sue x

Guest dawn42

Thanks Sue

I really am worried about him , he has had such a bad time but never complains ever!

I am sure he will be fine in time .

I am glad your son is happier now and more settled.

Cheers Dawn.

If you sure you know where you're going to be living I would go for a November start - as other people have said it is a LONG holiday without friends (& that's just you!). My sons a littley so it's easier to engineer friendships but his school was very good at pairing him with other children (& I was then very brave and got contact details off the mum's to arrange meet ups in the holidays)

It also gives a chance to see if you've picked the 'right' school - if it really isn't working there is the option of moving for the start of the next term - it sounds dreadful but there are kids of families on here who have not settled in their first school and thrieved in the second.

Good luck, who'd be a parent, huh?

Guest dawn42

Hi Jules

Yes got a school in mind and I am thinking that I will bite the bullett and set the seed now that they will both go to school in November, and thats a great point , about changing schools if necessary.

Cheers Dawn.

Guest Bettyboop

Hi Dawn I am in the same situation as you. I am arriving in Queensland end of October and have same dilemma!! I have three children, 13, 9 and 7 and its my 13 year old that most concerns me and it would be good if he started immediately and made friends but what if he didn't! he would then not enjoy the holidays due to worrying about going back to school in jan/feb!! I am so unsure as to whats best to do, dont know whether it would help them settle better to put them straight into the routine of school or give them chance to be home and explore their surroundings and get used to Oz? Its a difficult one!! glad I am not the only person with this worry!!

Angie xxx

Guest dawn42

Hi Angie

This is a tough one isnt it. I think I am going to torment my self with this for some time yet:confused:

Let me know what you decided if you dont mind, and all the best in Queensland

Dawnxxx

Guest Bettyboop

I will keep you informed! I am hoping that when my husband gets to Australia in a few weeks that he will be able to go to the schools in person and see if they could start the children in November and maybe ask their opinion, the decision may be taken out of our hands if the schools have no places for them until the new school year, I dont know how it works in Oz I know where I live now the schools have to take you if you have just moved into the area but I am unsure of the way it works in Oz. I keep trying to find information out on the internet but its not easy!! Let me know also what you decide to do and good luck with your move xxxx

Schools do have to enrol kids in their catchment area so you wouldnt need to worry about that. I would probably enrol a primary age kid right at the end of the year but not a HS age one. There may be a bit more formality towards the end of the HS year with assessments etc although you would definitely want to have signed them up for the next year so they can choose their electives. It's harder to break into a HS social clique at the end of a year too so probably better to wait until the redistribution of a new year when everyone is getting to know everyone else.

At PS it is usually a different situation and often they ask you for peer choices so knowing a few kids would be good for class placement for the following year.

Bottom line is that no one is going to mind if you keep them out of school for the last couple of weeks.

Guest tracywilson

Hi

I have 2 sons aged (13 & 6) when we arrived. I kept them home with me for a couple of months to see the beaches and stiff and get used to their new home. They in fact started schooling in the June- 2 weeks before 2 weeks off, not so bad I guess.

I am glad I sent them almost immediatey. The kids here seem nore friendly and kind than the (south) of UK. They both made friends very quickly. In fact there was "buddy" system in both schools and thru this they made friends very quickly and it helped them ease into school rather quickly.

Now I never see them lol :-)

Tracyx

We are planning to head out to Melbourne in January on purpose because of the school year, however did have the discussion re leaving earlier and what to do with the kids and school entry. We came to the conclusion that we would get them in asap even if only for a few weeks. However, they are 11 and 10 and would both be in primary school - high school brings its own set of issues.

We may have to decide whether to send eldest to high school (as he will be 11 years 9 months on arrival - if all goes to plan) or keep him in Primary until the following school year. Thank goodness in Australia (Victoria anyway) you have the choice as a parent, unlike the UK.

Every child is an individual and you have to go with your gut instinct on this one, the sooner the kids settle the better you will all feel about the move. If they are into sport or a hobby maybe look at clubs they can join, so even if they aren't in school they can mix with other kids and young people of their own age.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Karen

Guest sarebear

Hi Angie & Dawn, i'm also on the worry ship with you! We are arriving in Queensland end of Nov with 2 girls aged 12 & 9. I've decided to get them into school after the holidays as i think there would only be a week or so left of term & i think they will be happier staying with me for the first couple of months. I am concerned that they won't have any friends to play with over the holidays, but i'm hoping that there'll be kids in the neighbourhood they might make friends with. Blimey it's a worry isn't it! I too, am glad to know that i'm not alone on this one! Hope everything works out for you both. Sarah x

Hi Dawn I am in the same situation as you. I am arriving in Queensland end of October and have same dilemma!! I have three children, 13, 9 and 7 and its my 13 year old that most concerns me and it would be good if he started immediately and made friends but what if he didn't! he would then not enjoy the holidays due to worrying about going back to school in jan/feb!! I am so unsure as to whats best to do, dont know whether it would help them settle better to put them straight into the routine of school or give them chance to be home and explore their surroundings and get used to Oz? Its a difficult one!! glad I am not the only person with this worry!!

Angie xxx

Guest dawn42

Hi Sarah and all mums on this thread

It is nice to know that we are not alone with this dilemma, I am still completely undecided what to do for the best.I start work 12 days after arriving so have loads to sort out as we arrive, like long term accomodation and partnering that up with the right school, then having interviews with the school, then buying books and unifirm omg lol:shocked:and all this whilst still trying to do whats best for both children :wacko:.

It would be great to keep in touch with you all , as like minded mums I am sure we are going to find more to worry about !!!

Cheers Dawn xxx

Guest Perth Princess

We arrived in November and kept the kids off. This was definitely the wrong decision, it is a long, long holiday and it was a very difficult period for all of us. I think we would benefitted from having the routine and structure of school from November. It's harder to keep the kids entertained when you don't have your usual social structure. It sent us all a bit loopy:goofy:

Hi Sarah and all mums on this thread

It is nice to know that we are not alone with this dilemma, I am still completely undecided what to do for the best.I start work 12 days after arriving so have loads to sort out as we arrive, like long term accomodation and partnering that up with the right school, then having interviews with the school, then buying books and unifirm omg lol:shocked:and all this whilst still trying to do whats best for both children :wacko:.

It would be great to keep in touch with you all , as like minded mums I am sure we are going to find more to worry about !!!

Cheers Dawn xxx

Starting work after 12 days!!!! Allowing for jetlag OMG! Good Luck and hope it all goes smoothly. Is there much you can sort from this end before you go? Not sure where you are headed, but are there any relocation agents that can smooth the way, may cost a bit extra but could reduce stress levels a lot.

Karen x

Guest jewels1356

i think its best for adults and children alike to get a normal life asap that way more likly to settle

good luck

julie

xxx

Guest Bettyboop

Perth Princess, I think you are right in that probably best to get them straight into school. My children are half way through their holidays at the moment and are desperately bored, even though they have their friends around here! So to then get to Oz and have almost 3 months off would be really hard going for us all. I think when I get to Oz at the end of October I will go and look at the schools that I am interested in and try to get the children in for the remainder of the term or I will consider what Quoll suggested and send my younger children earlier to make friends but my eldest son wait until new school year. Its a really difficult decision and there is a part of me that thinks it would actually be quite nice to have the children around for me - but I wouldn't do that!! I will do whats best for them.

Thanks for your advice its nice to know that others have faced this problem of arriving in Oz towards the end of the school year with their children x

Guest dawn42
Starting work after 12 days!!!! Allowing for jetlag OMG! Good Luck and hope it all goes smoothly. Is there much you can sort from this end before you go? Not sure where you are headed, but are there any relocation agents that can smooth the way, may cost a bit extra but could reduce stress levels a lot.

Karen x

Hi Karen

I have approached a couple of schools but can not really do very much until we arrive.

I have reconcilled my self with all the stress to lookforward to:goofy:

Hey cant be that much to it can there :wacko:

Cheers Dawn

Guest claire&fred

We arrived in July 08 slap bang in the middle of the 2 week school holiday. My sister had already set the kids up at the same school as their Cousins. My sons are 10 and 7. My eldest wanted to start straight away but youngest no so keen. We needed to get them into a routine again so put them into school after being here for 2 weeks. Within a couple of weeks they were making friends and life was starting to get back to normal. Plus with them at school it meant my OH and I had time to sort out jobs, cars, Medicare, driving licenses etc without them trailing behind us getting fed.

I think it is important for children to be in a routine no matter what their age. If you can get them to school as soon as possible it will benefit them and you. Like alot of people have said the summer holidays are long without other kids and parents to mix with.

Goodluck with whatever you decide and I am sure everything will be just fine.

Claire

Guest dawn42

Hi Claire

It seems by post the posting people are saying the same as you , I have told my two our intensions are they will start in November just hope that we able to move fast enough when we arrive to get them in etc.

Cheers Dawn

Guest claire&fred
Hi Claire

It seems by post the posting people are saying the same as you , I have told my two our intensions are they will start in November just hope that we able to move fast enough when we arrive to get them in etc.

Cheers Dawn

At least it will give them an idea of the school and they will hopefully get to know some kids before the holidays begin. We also found that we were quite stressed when we first arrived, especially me and was also very unsettled and putting the boys into school gave me time to sort myself out. Although kids are resilliant it is definately harder the older they are. Michael was 9 just after we first arrived and he struggled initially but I have to say that after a year which has gone very quickly life is as normal as it was in the UK.

Claire

Archived