Things to bring to Oz/things to leave in the UK

shaunkaren

Hi all

My OH and I were discussing what we would need to take in our baggage to cover those first few weeks when we are without our possessions and in rented accommodation. We have discussed everything from toothbrushes to sleeping bags and corkscrews and pots and pans :v_SPIN:- and have decided to ask those amongst you who have taken the plunge to let us know what is useful or not?

What do you wish you had packed? and equally what do you wish you hadn't?

Look forward to hearing!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

We are trying to work out what to bring with us and what to sell before we leave the UK and buy new in Oz. Would love to know what things (however random!) people who have made the move are sorry to have left behind, and what things they really wish they had left behind and why???

Thanks Karen

Hi All

We are trying to work out what to bring with us and what to sell before we leave the UK and buy new in Oz. Would love to know what things (however random!) people who have made the move are sorry to have left behind, and what things they really wish they had left behind and why???

Thanks Karen

hi karen ...if you can afford to bring a full container then bring everything !!! .....im wishing we had lol

mrs keily

Guest Beach Babe

We havent made the move yet! but this kind of thread has been done a few times and I've been making notes of what others say with regard to the stuff being expensive when you get there, so far I have.

Dyson, Bedding, Towels, Pyrex Cookware, Laptops, Tumble dryer (wont be taking mine though)

For me I want to buy all new furniture when we arrive as I think English style houses are very different.

But deff taking some of the above....... and our CD's, Dvd,

Can anyone help add to my list as Husband wont let me have a container if I only have these few bits on it??

Before reading Mrs Keily's answer i was going to say exactly the same - everything I left I regret!

Don't think winter clothes are superflous they are not!

The only thing I wouldn't bring is outdoor stuff unless it's worth a lot - the cleaning required is painstaking and if customs don't like it you'll be paid for it being destroyed.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I would be interested in what to do with electricals both small and large. Thought we would bring enough to survive including beds/table and chairs/ and our sofa bed. Some of our stuff is 12 years old and will need replacing, we were umming and ahhing re getting new sofas from DFS before we leave, so any advice on cost of new ones in Oz would be appreciated. Winter clothes are definitely coming with us, we were there at easter and noticed the nights get chilly.

Karen

We have been advised by my sister who has just moved not to bother with the small things like toaster, kettle, microwave etc as they are easily replaced. But to bring the bigger stuff like washing machine etc.

My sister said that the beds are smaller there so they cant get bedding to fit their beds so will have to save up for new mattresses unless I stick a load of sheets for them in my suitcase next week when I visit!!

They said the are glad they bought over as much as they could. They have a young son and having the familiar things has made a difference to the settling in process.

Furniture gets replaced over time anyway so take what feels comfortable and what you can afford in your container!

Guest elaina

hi we are doing the same thing, i've decided to pack as if we are going on holiday with a few added extras. can't take to much o/h has to take his tools for is job so that will take up most the extra wait. interested to hear what other people have done or doing.

elaina

Guest ashmalog

we are going to be taking a set of linen each, towels each, corkscrew, blow up bed, ps2 and games or wii console and games, few cd's, ipods, marmite, prawn cocktail crisps. i am still working on my list. they are the main things.

Guest shambo

2 suitcases each would depend on the weight allowance. I believe that you can take 2 suitcases/holdalls per person but it depends on your total weight allowance. We have discovered that we can take 20kg luggage per person on Singapore Airlines, but if you are on a particular (eg. 175 or 176 visa) visa and are emigrating without having activated your visa you can have 40kg as long as it is in 2 suitcaes/holdalls.

I am not absolutely sure about this, but pretty confident.

Regards

Sue

Guest Beach Babe

So unless you are taking your own beds from home it's not worth taking any bedding if they are smaller in OZ?

I'll take that off my list i think.

Guest claire&fred

We bought 7 suitcases with us. There are 4 of us. These were filled mainly with clothes and paperwork as we stayed with family till we got our first rental.

Everything came in our container right down to my Garden Gnome. Bikes, scooters and even the swingball came we just steam cleaned everything. Even my husband's 4ft aquarium was steam cleaned and put into the container. We did not leave anything behind. We only bought a new toaster and kettle.

I would also recommend that if you have a tumble dryer bring it. I can rain for days here on and off during the winter and my tumble dryer has been absolute godsend. I wish we had bought some more plug in radiators as it can get cold during the winter.

My mum is coming soon and I have asked her to bring lots of books as they are very expensive here unless you are lucky enough to get a bargain in either Target, K-Mart or Big W. I have bought the whole Twilight series since being here and altogether they have cost me near on $100 and that was from Target.

Claire

Guest claire&fred
2 suitcases each would depend on the weight allowance. I believe that you can take 2 suitcases/holdalls per person but it depends on your total weight allowance. We have discovered that we can take 20kg luggage per person on Singapore Airlines, but if you are on a particular (eg. 175 or 176 visa) visa and are emigrating without having activated your visa you can have 40kg as long as it is in 2 suitcaes/holdalls.

I am not absolutely sure about this, but pretty confident.

Regards

Sue

This is pretty correct. We flew with Emirates and we got 40kg each. However each suitcase had to weigh no more than 25kg each. We bought 7 suitcases and were well within our allowance. We came in on a 136 Visa.

Claire

Guest ashmalog
So unless you are taking your own beds from home it's not worth taking any bedding if they are smaller in OZ?

I'll take that off my list i think.

who said the beds are smaller in oz? not heard that. i heard bedding is very expensive and so i thought would take a set each to cover us until container arrives.

I think you have to weigh up the cost of bringing it over to replacing it over here. We had a sole use 20ft container so brought everything worthwhile. Not washing machine or dryer as they were 10 yrs old. But if you use it in uk you will use it in Aus. The wife didn't want to bring alot just replace it over here. Let me warn you buying loads of things for $10, $20 $50 a time soon adds up to $000s.

Guest claire&fred
I think you have to weigh up the cost of bringing it over to replacing it over here. We had a sole use 20ft container so brought everything worthwhile. Not washing machine or dryer as they were 10 yrs old. But if you use it in uk you will use it in Aus. The wife didn't want to bring alot just replace it over here. Let me warn you buying loads of things for $10, $20 $50 a time soon adds up to $000s.

Absolutely right. If you are bringing lots of money with you and can afford to buy everything new then go for it. If you are not then bring what you already have. The money we brought with us has slowly dwindled. 2 secondhand cars, car insurance, rent, kids school uniform and school books and stationery, general odds and sodds, it all adds up. We did buy a new telly and that has been our only luxury really. It is alot more expensive here so think carefully.

Claire

Guest Beach Babe
We have been advised by my sister who has just moved not to bother with the small things like toaster, kettle, microwave etc as they are easily replaced. But to bring the bigger stuff like washing machine etc.

My sister said that the beds are smaller there so they cant get bedding to fit their beds so will have to save up for new mattresses unless I stick a load of sheets for them in my suitcase next week when I visit!! )

SteveNem said the beds were smaller is this true as I was bringing lots of bedding??

Can't say I noticed when visiting last, I actually bought a duvet set as my souvenir (ok sad I know!) and it was a king size and equivalent to UK. There may be issues with fitted sheets but as we are planning to take bedding etc with us by the time we need a new bed we will need new sheets too! You could always invest in flat sheets, a pain to put on the beds but cheaper than new mattresses!!

That being said, would I be going overboard (being a real softie when it comes to cold) if I brought electric blankets??? :laugh: To be honest my parents may visit during July/August and my Mum hates being cold - I think the Melbourne winters may surprise them.

Before reading Mrs Keily's answer i was going to say exactly the same - everything I left I regret!

Don't think winter clothes are superflous they are not!

The only thing I wouldn't bring is outdoor stuff unless it's worth a lot - the cleaning required is painstaking and if customs don't like it you'll be paid for it being destroyed.

Doh! Hadn't thought of that LOL! Suppose they do come in REALLY handy if you take UK appliances. I only have enough for a hairdryer and straighteners so far.

Karen x

Hiya,

A fair few Aussie adaptors!! Think they were 2 pounds each in Asda.

Yvonne & Andy x

a lot of people have said you can get them over here, we brought a load from argos and put them in the container just so we knew we had them when we wanted them. Also a couple of 4 plug extension leads as then you only need 1 adaptor for 4 things, as long as they are close together.

Archived