Saf killed a baby gecko!

krestsaf

When opening the sliding door this morning it carefully limped away with a broken leg, we tried to help it but thought best to leave it.

Upon returning home, the ants have devoured it and now only a skeleton exists.:cry:

it was only a baby about an inch long

Now she all upset and feels bad.

:hug:

Guest kazmatt

i know she probably feels bad but the aussies i work with do that sort of thing for a laugh, if they come accross a toad or lizard, they stamp on it, it seems to be just the way it is here, i was told to take the toads up the garden with a cricket bat and use it for a ball, sad.

he who laughs last laughs loudest.

Kazmatt,

I think you will find that the attitude of Australians to Cane toads is a bit different to their attitude to other animals. And you may find your own attitude changing over time. I was vegetarian for 7 years and I hate cruelty to animals, and like you would never condone using toads as golf balls. But they are a menace to wildlife, their poison can kill a small dog and make a young child ill. They are an introduced species without preditors. This makes most Aussies see them as fair game. I'm someone who rescues spiders and other insects and puts them outside, and my mother and I even tried to pick up a huge carpet python that was lying across a cycle track waiting to be run over one time (it didn't want to shift!). But when it came to cane toads I used to pick them up with a carrier bag and stick them live in the freezer then put them out in the rubbish. Out of character for me, but they really are decimating the native frog population in Australia and spreading. We have common toads in the kitchen here in Somerset when it's very wet, and I love them and put them outside. But not cane toads! It is true Aussies do not share the same empathy with animals as Brits. They think we're nuts, we think they're cruel. It's another of those cultural differences. But attitudes to cane toads are in a league of their own.

Deb

Kazmatt,

I think you will find that the attitude of Australians to Cane toads is a bit different to their attitude to other animals. And you may find your own attitude changing over time. I was vegetarian for 7 years and I hate cruelty to animals, and like you would never condone using toads as golf balls. But they are a menace to wildlife, their poison can kill a small dog and make a young child ill. They are an introduced species without preditors. This makes most Aussies see them as fair game. I'm someone who rescues spiders and other insects and puts them outside, and my mother and I even tried to pick up a huge carpet python that was lying across a cycle track waiting to be run over one time (it didn't want to shift!). But when it came to cane toads I used to pick them up with a carrier bag and stick them live in the freezer then put them out in the rubbish. Out of character for me, but they really are decimating the native frog population in Australia and spreading. We have common toads in the kitchen here in Somerset when it's very wet, and I love them and put them outside. But not cane toads! It is true Aussies do not share the same empathy with animals as Brits. They think we're nuts, we think they're cruel. It's another of those cultural differences. But attitudes to cane toads are in a league of their own.

Deb

The Cane toads are on the verge of entering Wa they can decimate the local ecosystem and must be stopped

Mally

Hi

we are on the Gold Coast and our garden is full of cane toads. We can't let the dog our at night just in case he eats one and gets poisoned. They're real ugly and don't move if you walk up to them they just sit there. They have no fear. They're a real pest but couldn't bring myself to harm them though! :eek:

Sorry to hear about the gecko. I'm with Cal:

Tell her not to be sad , it is in Gecko heaven playing happily with all the other Geckos,lol

Cal x

Take care

Kat

x

Guest Gollywobbler
When opening the sliding door this morning it carefully limped away with a broken leg, we tried to help it but thought best to leave it.

Upon returning home, the ants have devoured it and now only a skeleton exists.:cry:

it was only a baby about an inch long

Now she all upset and feels bad.

:hug:

Awww. I know just how she feels.

When we were kids in Malaysia the verandah had a rain proof roof the same size as the floor part. There was an upright, shoulder height electric fan on a stand. I guess the verandah roof had not been wired for a ceiling fan.

One afternoon a gecko ("cheechah" in Malay) fell off the ceiling, down through this fan and landed on the verandah floor. I hurtled across. It was breathing, its limbs seemed intact but it wasn't moving apart from breathing. I figured it was stunned and winded so I decided to leave it alone and just keep an eye on it. Cheechahs can survive most calamities as long as you leave them alone.

Along came Mum's Interfering, Officious Dachshund. Before I could dive onto the dog he marched up to the cheechah, sniffed it and then ate it, poor little mite. He was not hungry. He was just extremely officious (his self-appointed Morning Duty was biting the postman whenever possible.) The dog's air as he ate god's other creature was totally matter of fact. It was there so he ate it. He had the same attitude towards my sister's pet chickens. I shared the dog's views about the Feathered Friends but that is probably best left unsaid. However I did love the cheechahs. They were cute little souls who were quite happy on the walls and the ceilings and had no wish to be pests. Sharing the house with them was totally reasonable and I used to protect them from our cats.

Cheers

Gill

Archived