Renewal of passport - what to do about visa

racht

Hi guys

Given the state of the property market, I am not holding my breathe that our house will sell before the end of June when we will need to validate visas.

Our passports will be running outaround that time and we need new ones.

My first question is what do we do about the visas? Do we contact Immi in Oz with new passports numbers ? What is the process?

Second question is how do we actually validate our visas when we go? I presume you take the visa with you when you travel and hand it in somewhere?

Oooh third question (although I am sure someone may have already told me this and I cant remember), when you validate, how much more time does it buy you? 3 or 4 extra years?

Thanks a lot, as always,

Rach x :notworthy:

You can apply for your new passport up to 6 months before it runs out and they would add any remaining months onto your new passport , so you can apply for it now. Have you not got a visa sticker in your current passport? You would not ' hand ' it in , this stays in your passport. I read somewhere that you would show your old passport ( with the visa in ) and your new 1 when you land in OZ.

We have 3 years to make the move after validation but we are on a 475 , so it maybe different for other visa classes . I'm not sure

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually you can renew a passport whenever you like,so if you really wanted to spend the money and your passport had five years to run you could theoretically renew it then,HOWEVER in practical terms they will only add a maximum of nine months to the validity so for example If you renew your passport within nine months of its expiry date, your new passport will be valid for ten years plus the remaining validity on the old passport, up to a nine month limit. For example: Issued: 1/1/2006 Expires: 1/9/2016 .

Source:http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/faqs/renewing/renew-before-expire

Hello

Thanks to both of you for that. Will get new ones all sent off then. We didnt get anything in our passports as we did it all online. We just got an email. I guess we would print it off and take it with us with old and new passports. Anyone know? Do we need to let immi know new passport numbers?

Thanks again.

Rach

Guest mike_2006uk

Stop!

If you have a valid visa in your old passport, apply for a new passport, keeping your old one with the visa in, when you arrive in Australia, just hand in both passport, old and new.

I would strongly disagree sending in your old passport with your visa in it, having worked for the passport agency there is a good chance you'll never see your visa again.

I am in the same boat and received this information from the Australian High commision in London.

So we need to send our current passport 1stwith email to Oz House and then get new passport and take both with us? I wonder if we could just get a new passport and then send them both to Oz House asking them to put visa in new passport?

Guest proud2beaussie

When does your current UK passport expire? If it is less than 9 months away why not just renew them now without putting the visa in (You can apply to renew at a post office)then once you have

new passports send them off to have visa inserted.

Guest proud2beaussie
I would like to do this and yes they do expire within next 9 months but the two passport numbers will be different wont they? Do you think this will this matter?

No it should not matter ,if you were concerned you could always send an email to DIAC and let me know the new passport number,there website has a link for just such occurences.

www.immi.gov.au

Archived