Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Guest vanita suman

Guest vanita suman

Hi there,

My husband and I moved from UK to Sydney in 2001 and then moved back to the UK in 2005 with a 1 year old son so that he could grow up around family.

After living back in the UK for 4 years, we have decided to move back out to Sydney because I feel it is a better place to bring up my son. He will be starting Kindy in Jan 2009 and we will be moving to either Baulkham Hills or Castle Hill. I was thinking of putting him in the Hills Private Grammar School but I have heard that the Primary Schools in the Hills District are just as good.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, could someone give me some advice as to which of the Primary Schools in Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill are best so that we can make sure that we rent in the catchment for the school.

Thanks in advance.

Vanita

Hi Vanita! Wow - we're off to the Hills District in 7 weeks!!! My parents live in Castle Hill and that's where we'll be until all our stuff arrives and then we hope to live in Baulkham Hills (all being well with my husband's work).

Our daughter will also be starting Kindy in January 2009 and I've done a bit of investigating re schools. A very good friend of mine lives in BH and she highly recommends Winston Hills Public School, where her 2 kids go. Her father is the ex-principal of BH High and he had a lot of 'inside info' about schools in the area. It's quite a large school that incorporates infants and primary and has lots of extra-curricular activities going on as well as before/after school clubs. I contacted the school and have made tentative arrangements for them to take my daughter (they weren't bothered about where we'll actually be living) - we'll miss Kindy induction but they said they were happy to give us a special tour when we arrive just before they shut for summer. My only concern is that I start her off there and then we have to move schools if work doesn't pan out for my husband and we end up living elsewhere - but I guess kids of that age are pretty adaptable.

There's another local school which has a very good reputation - that's Matthew Pearce - which I believe operate special classes for children with special talents/needs (i.e. above av. reading level, etc.) - there's a term they use, can't think what it is, off the top of my head.

Maybe I'll see you at the school gate on 31 January!!!!!

Guest vanita suman

Hi JoJo,

That is great news to have someone else moving into the same area and school!

Someone on the British Expats website also recommended Winston Hills Public and Matthew Pearce. I have also heard that Beaumont Hills Public in Kellyville is very good too.

I will e-mail Winston Hills Public and have a quick look around when we get there and possibly enrol my son there too. Maybe we will be able to meet at the school gate!

I'd love to meet up when you get to Sydney.

Good Luck.

Vanita

Guest vanita suman

We arrive in Sydney on 30 Oct 2008 and we will be staying in the Benaara Gardens serviced apartments in Castle Hill for the first few weeks until we secure a rental. I'll keep in touch with you via this website and maybe we can meet up when you arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vanita suman

Hi there,

How is your move going? We are moving to Sydney next week and I contacted Winston Hills Public and they said the same to me aswell, that they would be willing to take my son even if he didn't fall in the catchment. I also contacted Castle Hill Public because we will fall in the catchment for that school. Has your friend's father said anything about Castle Hill Public? Also, do you know why he recommended Winston Hills Public over the other Primary Schools in Castle Hill/Baulkham Hills.

Thanks in advance.

Vanita

Hi there,

How is your move going? We are moving to Sydney next week and I contacted Winston Hills Public and they said the same to me aswell, that they would be willing to take my son even if he didn't fall in the catchment. I also contacted Castle Hill Public because we will fall in the catchment for that school. Has your friend's father said anything about Castle Hill Public? Also, do you know why he recommended Winston Hills Public over the other Primary Schools in Castle Hill/Baulkham Hills.

Thanks in advance.

Vanita

Hi Vanita! Wow - you're going next week! You must be stressing! We're off in 6 weeks. Glad that Winston Hills were OK with you too. I didn't ask my friend about schools in Castle Hill though as we ideally want to end up living in Baulkham Hills (although we'll be staying with my parents in Castle Hill until our stuff arrives and we rent somewhere). My friends dad recommended WH school because of it's performance/reports - but there weren't any schools in the area that he said to steer clear of. Also, my friend sends her own kids to WH - she says it's a great school and has lots of extra-curricular activities which both hers (boy in 5th grade and girl in 3rd) are involved with. The school is quite big, which is why she likes it as she was worried about bullying in smaller schools. The only downside for us is that we might end up having to drive the kids to school as WH isn't within walking distance of the part of Baulkham Hills where we want to live - but that's not the end of the world (and who knows exactly where we'll end up living!). Anyway, good luck with everything - you must be really busy! I'm dreading it!

Let me know how you get on with schools.

• 2 years later...
Guest rthadani

Hi not sure if its too late to reply to this, but I'm in the process of contemplating whether to buy a house we like that is in Winston Hills.....would like to know if you've been happy with Winston Hills Primary School so far?

Hi not sure if its too late to reply to this, but I'm in the process of contemplating whether to buy a house we like that is in Winston Hills.....would like to know if you've been happy with Winston Hills Primary School so far?

Hi! Not sure about Vanita... but we didn't end up at Winston Hills.... we visited the school, however, by the time we arrived, they had no more out of area places available and, at the time, we were living with my parents in Castle Hill, so they wouldn't take my daughter. We also visited Baulkham Hills North Primary and that's where my daughter actually preferred and we managed to get the last out of area place on their last day of the school year. She's now been there 2 years and loves it - it's a truly fantastic school. My friend's daughter still goes to Winston Hills and does well there. In the Hills, we're very lucky that all the schools have great reputations. We actually just bought a house in Baulkham Hills - but will still be out of area for BHNPS - they are so over-subscribed now that they no longer offer out of area placements (unless it's the younger sibling of an existing student). Good luck whatever you decide - house-buying out here is super-stressful!!!!!!

• 5 years later...

Hi there,

I was following the conversation and I have the same question now. I have to enrol my little man in kindy 2017 and wishing some advice from actual parents with kids at primary schools in the area. BHNPS is the one re catchment area. But we are also considering Excelsior PS, Jasper Rd PS, St Bernadette's and Our Lady pf Lourdes. Any feedback about them? Anything to take into account?

Many thanks in advance,

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia! Wow! That original post seems like a lifetime ago! My daughter finished at BHNPS last year & is now in Yr7 at Muirfield. She had an amazing time at BHNPS... She got involved in everything on offer and was given the most amazing opportunities... Singing with the choir at the Opera House and participating in the Schools Spectacular, amongst other things. BHNPS is still a great school & you're lucky to be in area! Not many public schools in the Hills take out of areas any more... We actually now live near Jasper Rd but my daughter refused to switch. I've heard good things about all the schools near us! My son is now in Yr3 at BHNPS and doing really well, although he's happier to watch rather than participate there's still lots for him to be involved with! Good luck wherever you end up but you really are lucky to live in the Hills... We're spoilt for choice here!

Archived