• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Moving to Sydney

Hi, we're new to this website and would appreciate advice.At the moment we are experiencing all sorts of concerns / worries about moving to Australia !! its such a big move. We (family - children ages 17/13) are moving to sydney (my work)and we have no idea where to live? so far it looks like the northern beaches?? again your thoughts. I hope you can help or suggest other websites to assist us with renting etc. At the moment we are thinking this is too much !! and dont want to regret it if we choose not to go - i guess we need reassurances!! - sorry to go on :spinny:

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Hi Gertie,

Welcome to PIO, Northern Beaches area of Sydney is lovely, quite expensive though in some places, I can't give you a personal recommendation though as I live about an hour North on Central Coast, but I am sure somebody will help you out with the good places to base yourself.

I can understand your concerns, but speaking from my own experience I wish we had done it sooner, been here 15yrs and love every minute. (IMO)

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      thanks for the reply - my work is near the Airport - can you suggest other good locations?

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Cronella maybe, I have been there and I think it's not too far from the airport. Are you going to be one of the Security people? lol

Title
      Liked
      70 times
      Rep
      The Northern beaches are lovely but VERY expensive , with median house prices over $1M , yes thats million dollars !!. I would suggest South or South West of Sydney as both areas are easy driving from the airport . Maybe Sutherland shire or even some of the Northern Wollongong areas may also fit the bill . Perhaps you may want to check out the Sydney Morning Herald on Sydney Morning Herald - Business News, World News & Breaking News in Australia for house sales/rentals . Best of luck in your venture . We've been here 20yrs , so we may be able to offer some advise on other matters too , pm me if you wish ..

Dave C
      English and proud ...

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Cool moving to sydney

Quote Originally Posted by gertie View Post
      thanks for the reply - my work is near the Airport - can you suggest other good locations?
      hi gertie , i am moving to the northern beach area in september on my own with my 2 kids aged 13 & 17 and am finding it quite hard to get the exact info i need and have lots of conserns like you but im sure that once i get there things will work out fine , the web site that i have been lokking on for a house to rent is called , homehound.com.au . but yes it does seem very exspensive but look in the surrounding areas its not so bad , manly has ferry,s every 15 minutes that take you in to the city , a 15 min journey ,
      lyn , south coast of uk.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      hi there, we are moving to mount annan, elderslie which is camden area about 40min from sydney, we visited twice and it feels just right.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      me again, the house prices are reasonable too, we looked in mount annan at the cascades, very nice, but prices are a bit higher in elderslie, the schools there were pretty good too. check out realestate.com.au

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      High everyone, We've been researching in and around Sydney as well and there seem to be loads of lovely possibilities in various suburbs. Mount Annan is definately on the list of places to visit on a reccie. One thing has got me confused though.....

I work in IT (usually for big corporates) so I've got to assume that my work would be in the CBD. I don't mind about an hours commute and I've been using Cityrail.nsw.gov.au to get various timings to/from suburbs. I've noticed that loads of people have been saying that it takes about an hour of driving to get into Sydney from places like the Central Coast, which seems like miles away!

Are trains really that slow compared to driving everywhere? and also, is it realistic to drive to work if it's in/near the CBD? Surely it's like driving and parking in central London, i.e. impossible! :v_SPIN:
      Starting thinking about migrating - 01/04/08
      Went on a Sydney/Melbourne Reccie - 30/09/08

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      The Central coast to the city driving would take a bit longer, it's 40mins on the freeway to Wahroonga, then depending where you are working in the CBD it can add anything from half-one hour on to the journey. Also you are right about parking in the City, it would be like London, hence why a lot of people use public transport, when you find somewhere to park it's blinking expensive. Hope this helps.

BTW Central Coast in Beautiful!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast