Moving to Sydney

Guest gertie

Guest gertie

Hi, we're new to this website and would appreciate advice.:jiggy:At the moment we are experiencing all sorts of concerns / worries about moving to Australia !! its such a big move. We (family - children ages 17/13) are moving to sydney (my work)and we have no idea where to live? so far it looks like the northern beaches?? again your thoughts. I hope you can help or suggest other websites to assist us with renting etc. At the moment we are thinking this is too much !! and dont want to regret it if we choose not to go - i guess we need reassurances!! - sorry to go on :spinny:

Guest Jaynie

Hi Gertie,

Welcome to PIO, Northern Beaches area of Sydney is lovely, quite expensive though in some places, I can't give you a personal recommendation though as I live about an hour North on Central Coast, but I am sure somebody will help you out with the good places to base yourself.

I can understand your concerns, but speaking from my own experience I wish we had done it sooner, been here 15yrs and love every minute. (IMO):chatterbox:

Guest Jaynie

Cronella maybe, I have been there and I think it's not too far from the airport. Are you going to be one of the Security people? lol

Guest Dave53

The Northern beaches are lovely but VERY expensive , with median house prices over $1M , yes thats million dollars !!. I would suggest South or South West of Sydney as both areas are easy driving from the airport . Maybe Sutherland shire or even some of the Northern Wollongong areas may also fit the bill . Perhaps you may want to check out the Sydney Morning Herald on Sydney Morning Herald - Business News, World News & Breaking News in Australia for house sales/rentals . Best of luck in your venture . We've been here 20yrs , so we may be able to offer some advise on other matters too , pm me if you wish ..

Dave C

Guest lyndy

:wubclub:

thanks for the reply - my work is near the Airport - can you suggest other good locations?

hi gertie , i am moving to the northern beach area in september on my own with my 2 kids aged 13 & 17 and am finding it quite hard to get the exact info i need and have lots of conserns like you but im sure that once i get there things will work out fine , the web site that i have been lokking on for a house to rent is called , homehound.com.au . but yes it does seem very exspensive but look in the surrounding areas its not so bad , manly has ferry,s every 15 minutes that take you in to the city , a 15 min journey ,

lyn , south coast of uk.

Guest lee winspear

hi there, we are moving to mount annan, elderslie which is camden area about 40min from sydney, we visited twice and it feels just right.

Guest lee winspear

me again, the house prices are reasonable too, we looked in mount annan at the cascades, very nice, but prices are a bit higher in elderslie, the schools there were pretty good too. check out realestate.com.au

Guest UGandSMUG

High everyone, We've been researching in and around Sydney as well and there seem to be loads of lovely possibilities in various suburbs. Mount Annan is definately on the list of places to visit on a reccie. One thing has got me confused though.....

I work in IT (usually for big corporates) so I've got to assume that my work would be in the CBD. I don't mind about an hours commute and I've been using Cityrail.nsw.gov.au to get various timings to/from suburbs. I've noticed that loads of people have been saying that it takes about an hour of driving to get into Sydney from places like the Central Coast, which seems like miles away!

Are trains really that slow compared to driving everywhere? and also, is it realistic to drive to work if it's in/near the CBD? Surely it's like driving and parking in central London, i.e. impossible! :v_SPIN:

Guest Jaynie

The Central coast to the city driving would take a bit longer, it's 40mins on the freeway to Wahroonga, then depending where you are working in the CBD it can add anything from half-one hour on to the journey. Also you are right about parking in the City, it would be like London, hence why a lot of people use public transport, when you find somewhere to park it's blinking expensive. Hope this helps.

BTW Central Coast in Beautiful!

Guest Bonzer Sheila
Hi, we're new to this website and would appreciate advice.:jiggy:At the moment we are experiencing all sorts of concerns / worries about moving to Australia !! its such a big move. We (family - children ages 17/13) are moving to sydney (my work)and we have no idea where to live? so far it looks like the northern beaches?? again your thoughts. I hope you can help or suggest other websites to assist us with renting etc. At the moment we are thinking this is too much !! and dont want to regret it if we choose not to go - i guess we need reassurances!! - sorry to go on :spinny:

Hi there

We lived in Sydney for three years (2001-2004) – and hope to return for good later this year. The one thing I don’t look forward to is looking for a rental! Sydney is a fabulous city but what we didn’t realise until we got there was just how long it can take to get from north to south and east to west! I have always advised new arrivals to go to the top of the Sky Tower http://www.sydneytoweroztrek.com.au/ at rush hour and just look at all the waterways commuters have to cross to get from A to B! We were also surprised at how hilly some suburbs were and just how many sets of traffic lights there are!? So to your question; Northern Beaches to the Airport - a nasty commute. May I suggest your look at this website for houses – http://www.domain.com.au/ - use the maps and pan out and maybe Google Earth the areas you’re considering…look at the terrain, available public transport etc etc.

I don’t want to offend anybody by saying where I wouldn’t live but if you come up with some specific areas in mind ask on the forum; someone always has something useful to say.

Very best of luck

BS

Guest Eindhoven

Hi

We moved here in January and live in the Lower North Shore. I work in the Northern Beaches this is a wonderful part of Sydney. House prices are more expensive but if you live 30 mins away from the beaches themselves they get much cheaper and you can pick up 3 bed houses for about $800k, check out realestate.com.au for rentals and buying it's where we got our appartment.

Public transport is reasonably good and much cheaper than the UK.

Good luck and ask as many questions as you can it's very scary going to the unknown we've all been there.

Where will you be working?

Guest Coffee
I work in IT (usually for big corporates) so I've got to assume that my work would be in the CBD. I don't mind about an hours commute and I've been using Cityrail.nsw.gov.au to get various timings to/from suburbs.

First of all, CityRail isn't that bad. A bit like Northern Line in London: it stops everywhere (except Inner West where you find Express), feels a bit slow but is in general (other than Northern line...) quite reliable. And cheap.

I don't know your preferences in Oz, what lifestyle you want etc. but really - is an hour commute per way (2 hours per day) exactly what you're looking for?? Yes, Sydney is expensive in comparison with Adelaide or the Orkneys but for a cosmopolitain city it is quite affordable. You will possibly be able to live in areas you that you wouldn't have dreamt of in a city like London. And not only that you cut down the commute considerably, you will also be able to enjoy what Sydney can offer at your doorstep. Eindhoven has already mentioned Lower North Shore (btw:where? I live in Mosman) which would offer a nice trip on the ferry to work, roughly 20min to CQ.

As I said, I don't know your specification but I looked at areas further out for myself as I expected to get more value for money and then came to the point where I realised, how much I can afford in a more central location (I am renting, having really looked into buying as mortgages are sky high). And what you pay more on rent you easily save on transport and time.

Guest UGandSMUG
First of all, CityRail isn't that bad. A bit like Northern Line in London: it stops everywhere (except Inner West where you find Express), feels a bit slow but is in general (other than Northern line...) quite reliable. And cheap.

I don't know your preferences in Oz, what lifestyle you want etc. but really - is an hour commute per way (2 hours per day) exactly what you're looking for?? Yes, Sydney is expensive in comparison with Adelaide or the Orkneys but for a cosmopolitain city it is quite affordable. You will possibly be able to live in areas you that you wouldn't have dreamt of in a city like London. And not only that you cut down the commute considerably, you will also be able to enjoy what Sydney can offer at your doorstep. Eindhoven has already mentioned Lower North Shore (btw:where? I live in Mosman) which would offer a nice trip on the ferry to work, roughly 20min to CQ.

As I said, I don't know your specification but I looked at areas further out for myself as I expected to get more value for money and then came to the point where I realised, how much I can afford in a more central location (I am renting, having really looked into buying as mortgages are sky high). And what you pay more on rent you easily save on transport and time.

To be honest, a large part of the dream of Oz is the big house, large plot and pool/tub. Maybe sounds back-to-front but we are thinking of Sydney, Melb and Brisbane, whichever gives us the right mix.

I've commuted most of my working life and quite enjoy it actually, so an hour is no prob. As long as we get a nice mixture of rural vs proximity to restaurants and everything we need, then we'll be happy. I suppose a large suburb with good local shopping, food and facilities would be perfect, even if the main CBD was an hour or so away. Does that make sense? :v_SPIN:

Doug

Guest Coffee
As long as we get a nice mixture of rural vs proximity to restaurants and everything we need, then we'll be happy. I suppose a large suburb with good local shopping, food and facilities would be perfect, even if the main CBD was an hour or so away. Does that make sense?

Yep, it does (though the complete opposite of my spec). Around Sydney, that sounds like you want to have a closer look at Gosford. Considerably cheaper than Sydney, direct trains into CBD (roughly 80mins) and small-ish. I haven't been there myself but lots of PIO user seem to live there and around.

The only that left my slightly puzzled with Gosford was, that when I discussed Gosford with Aussies on numerous occasions they just stared at me, shook their heads and said "Naw, Gosford is full of retirees, Brits and retired Brits..." Is that really true?? :shocked:

P.S. Oh, and Illawara (south of Sydney) might also be worth a look.

Guest Jaynie

Hi coffee,

Gosford may have been like that about 15yrs ago, it was a sleepy little town, now however most of the Sydneysiders are moving up here and commuting to the CBD from here. houses are a lot cheaper than Sydney and if you want your Mansion in a rural area look no further than Matcham, not too far from a beach, or if you want the Beach then you have heaps of choices to make.

Central Coast is beautiful, I personally don't like the thought of a commute to Sydney, but I am lucky enough to work in Gosford CBD anyway!

Good luck with your choices though.

Archived