UK car in Australia

Guest Whare&Nadine

Guest Whare&Nadine

Hi, I have just applied for my visa as the spouse of a NZ citizen. We presently live in Wales with our two small children and are heading for Melbourne within 12months. I want to know has anybody taken their UK car with them when they emigrated? I mean they drive on the same side as us so is it easy to transfer vehicle documentation?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers :err:

We are really looking forward to our big move even though it seems scary.

Nadine (38)Whare(36-the kiwi toyboy) Alistair (3 years) Arabel (4months):jiggy:

Guest Les & Woz
Hi, I have just applied for my visa as the spouse of a NZ citizen. We presently live in Wales with our two small children and are heading for Melbourne within 12months. I want to know has anybody taken their UK car with them when they emigrated? I mean they drive on the same side as us so is it easy to transfer vehicle documentation?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers :err:

We are really looking forward to our big move even though it seems scary.

Nadine (38)Whare(36-the kiwi toyboy) Alistair (3 years) Arabel (4months):jiggy:

Hi folks

We are planning on taking our car because we bought it new last October. Have found a good contact who can give you all the expenses. There are two ways - one in a container which is the most expensive and the other RORO drive on boat where it is driven on like a ferry. Neither are cheap options but depending on how much you may lose if you sell, could be cheaper option. To take our brand new Jeep would be about $3800. The guy you need to contact is Steve White. Email steve@cargoonline.com.au

Lots of luck.

Les :goofy:

Guest Whare&Nadine

Thanks will do that. All the best with your move

Nadine:wideeyed:

Hi folks

We are planning on taking our car because we bought it new last October. Have found a good contact who can give you all the expenses. There are two ways - one in a container which is the most expensive and the other RORO drive on boat where it is driven on like a ferry. Neither are cheap options but depending on how much you may lose if you sell, could be cheaper option. To take our brand new Jeep would be about $3800. The guy you need to contact is Steve White. Email steve@cargoonline.com.au

Lots of luck.

Les :goofy:

Guest itskaren

Hi we looked into taking our car however, it was just too expensive. I met a friend on PIO and they have brought their car over. I feel so sorry for them as it was just an expensive exercise for them. They wished that they never bothered. Unless it is a classic car it is just not worth it. The cost they were told was acceptable but when they went to collect it in Melbourne they were hit with lost of hidden costs! food for thought.

Guest cj321

Hi

It could be worth bringing if it is a luxury car as the taxes here make them more expensive. You also need to have owned it over a year before you import it. You can sort all the paperwork out online. We had a BMW shipped in the same container as our furniture and it definitely worked out cheaper than selling in the uk and buying a similar car here.

Another thing to consider is whether we actually have that model of car here because if we dont then getting parts is going to be very expensive. Also some cars need to be modified to comply with Australian standards which is another blow to the hip pocket.

Archived