taking a dog to Australia

Guest GemmaClaire

Guest GemmaClaire

Does anyone have any idea roughly how much it would cost to take a dog? People keep saying a lot but does anyone know a rough figure?:dull:

Guest Rickard Family

Hi

we are taking 2 Dachshunds because have been told if you have more than 2 you have to register as kennel:wacko:. But we have had a quote for £1800 it will be another $600 each for quaritine which is a month, but have not found out vet bills this end yet our vet just had a very large grin on his face when told him our plans:swoon:. they charge by weight of animal and all this was based at going to brisbane not sure if it would be any cheaper at perth being shorter distance.

The quotes are free from the pet companies they want mind if you give them a call, hope this helps.

Lou.

We bought 2 Retrievers to Sydney this Jan and it cost us 4300GBP (sorry no pound sign on laptop) and another $1300 for quarantine for the 2 of them. We used a company called Golden Arrow based in Shropshire and they were excellent, they go by the size of the dog btw.

The dogs have to be up to date with their vaccinations (but shouldnt have the Lepto vaccine) and be microchipped then 4 weeks before flying they have to have blood tests which cost about 200 pounds (sorry I cant remember whether this was each or for both of them, I just shut my eyes and signed the bill lol) your own vet should do these.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Another thought, the quarantine stations get booked up early and may have a waiting list of a few months so be sure to start sorting it early.

Sam x

We used Pet Exports Ltd

near Heathrow tel. 0208 3845020

Their bill was 1,896pounds for the two dogs inc. flights, crates(especially made,) vet seal, and uk customs form, obvioulsy there was my local vets bill - blood tests etc. I also contacted AQIS in Canberra and did that paperwork bit myself (export certificate) which saved money. We also had to pay for quarantine in Melbourne for a month. If you need any more help please dsont hesitate to contact me. Where are you moving to and when???? Best wishes Jackie

Guest jbro31

We had a quote from White House Kennels (I think somebody on here recommended it) there were very knowledgeable also. We have 2 german shepherds, one large male one smaller female, quote came in at just over £5K (eek) this includes flights and all the other stuff but presumably not the vets bit. They are done on size of crate which relates to their size but not weight, hence you need to make sure measured correctly as if you have too large a crate you could be paying for air space. On top of that is the quarentine costs. I need to contact Golden Arrow for a price also. We have 2 cats but I reallly don't want to take because one is getting on and I dont' think he can hack the journey but it's a tough choice to make. Jeanette

our bull mastiff can only fly from heathrow due to regulations, but got loads of quotes and airsupply shipping are cheapest at £2300 (others were up to £4000 so shop around). quarantine is $17.55 per day for 30 days, vets i'm not sure but a few hundred at least i think. go on australian gov import website for good advice. also airpets were next cheapest quote!

Guest kia1

hi we are using airpets, i thought since i am having enough stress i have opted for them to do absolutely everything. so for 2 siberian huskies they have charged me £4465. i have to get blood tests done but otherwise they do the lot. they base it on the size of the dogs not the weight. keep emailing people for quotes you can get them cheaper if you say you will apply for the export and permits but when there is so much to do let the experts take the strain they know what they are doing.

good luck:wubclub:

Guest ellie2

We used Golden Arrows for our German Shepherd they charged £2450 I got my own export certificate, the vets bills for blood tests were approx £150, then quaranitine which was approx $800, Golden Arrows were excellent.

Christine

Guest Lori

Hi have just been reading this thread about dogs and shipping, I am interested as I have 2 staffie's that will be shipped (not at that stage yet) but am confused as thought that the quarantine stations were only in certain airports, noticed someone said they were shipping dogs to Brisbane, I thought they had to go to Sydney, please could someone clarify as am slightly confused (no change there then). Just completed paperwork for Vetasses so brain dead to be honest.

Thanks Lori :arghh:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ady and David

We were quoted £1500 from Air Pets for out Miniature Yorkshire Terrier - he only weighs 2.3kgs!! They sent us a letter breaking down the bill $450 for quarantine. DSC04344.jpg

Guest Rickard Family

Hi Lori, not 100% but now you mention it i am sure your right hopefully someone on here will clarify this:unsure:.

Hi Ady and David, ahh bless i thought the price was rediculess( can't spell sorry) for our sausage dogs being as small as they are!!

That seems quite dear we were quoted £1800 for 2 mini daxies, not including quaratine.

Lou.

Guest 7gotooz

Hi

We were quoted £1600 for a Dalmation / Jack Russell & we are expecting to pay an $800 for quarantine @ Perth (we are hoping this will be less as we are having her food delivered seperately to quarrantine as she is a veggie!!!)

Our quote is from |Golden Arrow & we favour them because they fly the dogs in hold 5 which is heated to the same temp as the cabin - the others are @ 2 degrees & the dogs have to shiver the whole flight.

Good luck

Rachel

Guest Lori

I have real worries about this, my girl staffie who is 5 is such a fretful thing when she is away from her enviroment, my boy who is 18 months, is the coolest laid back guy ever, but I do worry about them being shipped and not being with me every day for the w.a.l.k. to the woods, she wont be happy thats for sure, will prob sulk forever, I will never be forgiven

Guest lilly mist

Hey..

i thought that you could only send dogs to sydney and perth but i see some of you guys saying brisbane and melbourne!!

Does anyone know where they can be booked into then and any more info on the kennels would be fab!!

Confused now..

We are planning to take our 5 year old dalamation who like many other dogs hates to be away from me but im sure she will cope.

And im also sure she will just love it once she is with us again running down the beach!!

But any further help as to where the kennels are plz?

We also have to 2 cats which is my biggest head ache right now, knowing what to do with them is a worry, they are only young so have very long healthy lives ahead of them and the one is house cat and only goes out for the loo, he's never out of the house for more than 10mins at a time (lazy sod)

Guest buderim555

Lori - Bought POPPY (staffie) on the Sunshine Coast - shipped her back to UK - shipped her to Oz and then - back to UK - shipping her back for the final time in Sept.

Have always used Air Pets and found them to be as competative as any.

POPPY's always been quarantined in Sydney then flown to Brissie using Dogtainers or Jetpets. It's a bit of a pain - but once you've made a commitment to an animal - YOU'VE MADE A COMMITMENT!

Have to say she's the most expensive dog and the most disobedient - but we love her!

Guest Lori

Thanks for that info, I have made a note in the ever growing oz file.

I totally agree I would not entertain leaving my babies, it would be

like leaving my children, we all go together, they are so important to

us all, theres not an alternative, what ever the cost may be.

Thanks for your help

Lori

us too, is air pets diff from pet air? and its good to know about golden arrow and the temperiture, (sorry spelling not my strong point!) we have a dalmation who is a total sloppy and im so nervous for him, he never leaves our side!

Hi All

We're taking a Cocker Spaniel & a Springer Spaniel & we're using Pet Air who are based down in Dorset (we're just outside Worcester). They do a complete service where they do all of the paperwork for you & even come to your house to do the blood tests etc - all this for only £3655 (for them both). The quarantine costs are charged separately on top of this.

I can highly recommend Pet Air so far (dogs flying out to Sydney on 1st July so will give an update!) as they've taken all of the stress out of it & were absolutely lovely when they came up to do the bloods etc. My springer went completely schitzo & howled every time they put a hand behind his neck - such a brave boy!

We're just waiting for the results of the blood tests so it'll be a nervous week until we hear!

Rach & Bernie

do the company's sometimes take them away to do the bloods etc or can you all ways have them done at home , ie vets or the travel company? i want jack to saty with us till the last poss minute, can that be done when you use a company all the way through, im so worried that he will have to be left behind , and we can't get him in quar, as you have to book so far in advance! scared he wont pass the bloods too!

Guest Aggie

Hi All just for the record there is no quarantine in Brisbane and lori try not to worry to much about your little girl (staffie)i shipped my staffie (Harvey)last year and hes such a baby its unreal but he managed realy well.We were lucky enought to be able to stay in sydney for the duration of his time in quarantine so we visited every day (no visits aloud at weekend)and you can take your dogs for a walk in an in-closed grass area.Have since returned to uk.Hopeing to return to brisbane as soon as house is sold so Harvey will have to quarantine again wouldn't do it if he hadn't coped so well the last time.

Guest missy44*123

hi

has anyone shipped 2 yorkshire terriers to melborne. when i have the money which will prob be in a year i want to move there as my bro and sister in law are there. my 2 little yorkies are my babies i cant leave them, i have a girl and boy so the girl is a little smaller any advice would be great xxx

( trying so hard to get out of this horrible place)

Guest yvonne and paul
We were quoted £1500 from Air Pets for out Miniature Yorkshire Terrier - he only weighs 2.3kgs!! They sent us a letter breaking down the bill $450 for quarantine. DSC04344.jpg

Awe, couldn't ya put him in ya pocket?:biglaugh:

Seriously though I think you have been charged too much for him.

It is usualy by weight and I was quoted around £2k for each of my big brutes (and they eat more than he weighs each sitting:biglaugh:

Paul.

Guest teen 18
hi we are using airpets, i thought since i am having enough stress i have opted for them to do absolutely everything. so for 2 siberian huskies they have charged me £4465. i have to get blood tests done but otherwise they do the lot. they base it on the size of the dogs not the weight. keep emailing people for quotes you can get them cheaper if you say you will apply for the export and permits but when there is so much to do let the experts take the strain they know what they are doing.

good luck:wubclub:

we are using a firm fromm lydbury north in shropshire who have quoted us 1800 and that just for a sprocker (spaniel)

Archived