Cairns or Brisbane ?

Guest asmith15

Guest asmith15

Is there anyone in Cairns or Brisbane that can give me some feedback on both ot either place as i cant make my mind up were to go - my partner is an engineer by trade but has been doing joinery work for 10yrs so i think with the amount of building work going on work wont be a problen in either place - any feedback would be gratfully accepted - thanks :notworthy:

Guest Mrs C

Hi Annette,

Welcome to PIO. I am not there yet!

Our choice was between Brisbane and Cairns and we have sided with Brisbane, really due to the fact that we have three teenagers coming with us! We hope that they will have a good chance of getting jobs when they finish college.

We hope your process all goes well for you and your family.

All the best

April & Richard

Hi Annette,

We are just waiting to move over to Brisbane but we did visit Cairns during our months reccie to compare it.

Cairns is a wonderful place with lots of wonderful things to do and loads of really friendly people but it just wasn't for us. We found it too hot to the point of it being unbearable ( I remember hardly being able to drag myself to the mall to cool off!!). My eldest daughter was also quite ill due to the heat and had to stay in the room for a couple of days.

Of course, this is only my opinion and it is based on a short period of time spent in each place!!!

Hope it helps???

Guest chloew

Cairns is a tropical town and very hot................ It has a very relaxed pace to life mainly because it has to due to the heat! It's very low key and I would personally like to live there but not sure what I would do job wise. So, maybe we'll retire there!

Brisbane is a bigger city and would have more in the way of jobs and the like for teenagers.

Try and visit both before settling on one as both are quite different.

Guest asmith15

thanks for reply, we will fly into brisbane and spend some time with lees brother who lives in morayfield then fly up to cairns and check there out as well - like you say you have to sample both b4 making a decision .

Guest asmith15

hi, nice to hear from someone whos been there, will check both places out b4 deciding,as we have a 17yr old and 8yr old we will have to pick the right place to suite everyone !! hope you enjoy brisbane and good luck

Guest asmith15
Hi Annette,

Welcome to PIO. I am not there yet!

Our choice was between Brisbane and Cairns and we have sided with Brisbane, really due to the fact that we have three teenagers coming with us! We hope that they will have a good chance of getting jobs when they finish college.

We hope your process all goes well for you and your family.

All the best

April & Richard

thanks april for reply, hope all goes well for you and your family, will keep up this emailing and hopefully meet some of the xpats when we get there

Guest Mrs C

Hi Again Annette,

You have come to the right place if you want to make some new friends! I have made friends with lot's of people. Have your tried the chat room yet? It is great especially on Friday and Saturday evening.

April

thanks for reply, we will fly into brisbane and spend some time with lees brother who lives in morayfield then fly up to cairns and check there out as well - like you say you have to sample both b4 making a decision .

HI again Annette,

Just thought I would mention that when we decided to book our internal flights in Oz to Cairns the conversation with the agent at the agents went something like this...

Him: So how long do you want to spend in Cairns

Me: Ohh at least 7 days, it's the end of our holiday and I want to make the most of the hot weather

Him: No, 7 days is too long!

Me: Oh no it's not.. I know what I want to do and it's 7 days!

Him: I wouldn't.

Me: Well, I want to....

Uhmm... will I ever listen to anyone!!

debs x

Guest chloew

How can your agent say that...........there's loads to do in and around Cairns! We stayed a week and felt we didn't have enough time!

Atherton Tablelands, Cape Tribulation - beautiful and would recommend doing the Barrier Reef from here with Rum Runner, Port Douglas to name a few things to do!

HI Chloew,

Perhaps he knew that by this stage we were gonna be well and truly spent up!! We were that hard up we were coppering up for chips between 4 of us!!! The free pools and water fountains were great but I must be honest, I was glad to get out of the heat!!

Debs x

Sorry also meant to say, there is no experience like the barrier reef, it is the best thing that we have done and wouldn't have missed it for the world (even if my bikini bottoms did snap and had to be tied up like a nappy).

Did you go to the Crocodile park (those crocs were absolutely comatosed !!!) The kids were so fed up. Even I was tempted to hit one on the head with a stick??!! ... only kidding folks!!

Debs x

Guest chloew

No we didn't make it to the park - we did see some crocs on the Daintree River Cruise though! Also, found Nemo on the reef which was fantastic.

Guest Les & Woz
Is there anyone in Cairns or Brisbane that can give me some feedback on both ot either place as i cant make my mind up were to go - my partner is an engineer by trade but has been doing joinery work for 10yrs so i think with the amount of building work going on work wont be a problen in either place - any feedback would be gratfully accepted - thanks :notworthy:

Hi Annette

I've been to both. They are both great places. If I had to choose would go for Brisbane as much more lively. Cairns is fairly quiet. Depends what you are looking for. As you have young kids Brissie is probably your best choice. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Lesley

Guest Les & Woz

Hi Joanne and Mark

How lucky you are to get to live in such a great place! We love Brissie but have to go to Melbourne initially for the first 2 years. We also like Sunshine Coast and Yeppoon. What do you do for a living?

Lesley & Warren

Guest cairnsunlimited

I lived in Brisbane for many years, and it is a great place to live. But now I have been here in Cairns for eight months, and I won't be moving back to Brisbane in a hurry. Everything is so much more relaxed in the far north, and yet Cairns is a big enough city to offer everything you could need.

And that's not to mention the reef, the rainforest and the beautiful Atherton Tablelands on your doorstep. What travel agent could possibly say that a week in and around Cairns is too long???? Crazy.

My vote goes to Cairns....

I have a friend who lived in Cairns and thought the night life was great. I guess it depends what you want to do. It's a beautiful place and I've heard lots of good things. We were tempted as a friend here said he could almost guarantee my OH a job there with his brother. But oh the heat and the creatures - the sea is about 29 degrees in the summer, but you wouldn't want to swim in it even if it was cool because there are jellyfish, which deliver a sting that can be fatal, in the water for 6 months of the year. That said they have a small jelly-netted area cordoned off and I understand there is a wonderful lake. :nah:

Guest cairnsunlimited

Yes, there is a beautiful, crystal clear 4800 square metre man-made lagoon on the Esplanade, right in the heart of the city. It's free to use, and so are the electric barbecues in the strip of parkland along the Esplanade.

Stingers are a real threat during summer, but most, if not all, of the Cairns Beaches have stinger nets during the summer months. Severe cases of stinger encounters are extremely rare. But you are right, the water can be quite warm... that's why we head to nearby Crystal cascades or Mossman Gorge for a refreshing swim on a hot day.

Viva Cairns!!!

Guest wardy

Cairnsunlimited :arghh:

Has someome put you on this site to upset me, stop making Cairns sound so good:no:

My heart belongs in Cairns and if I was on my own it would be the place for me, but my family need the things that Perth offers at this point and so Perth it is for us.

But I will be there in Cairns as much as possible :yes:

Ps welcome to PIO you lucky, lucky thing you :wubclub:

Guest Els-Bells

Hi,

We first of all decided on Brissy, but felt I needed to be near a proper beach, then decided on GOldCoast but property prices seemed a bit tooexpensive,then my sis in law went on atrip to Oz and told us how amazing Cairns is so thats where we're going, got a great book from Tesco called Escape to Australia and New Zealand 2008 and it says that next to Sunshine coast Cairns in the most reasonble place to live (rental and buying). But on the other hand it did mention the monsoons and cyclones and the rain (alomst triple what Brissy gets) from jan to march. So I think with every place there is pros and cons, just a matter of personal preference. Good luck deciding!!!

Guest wardy

Hi lisa most of the people I have spoken to love the rainy season its what makes the place so green and vibrant the rest of the year, not to mention not having a drought.

Now stop showing off and close this thread before I change my mind again :arghh:

:wubclub: xx

Guest Les & Woz

Hi

I am in UK (at the moment - waiting for visa). I have been to Cairns and Brisbane twice. They are both great places but completely different. Cairns is more tropical and gets typhoons and lots of rain in rainy season, etc. but has fantastic scenery. Brisbane is a city with sprawling surburbia. It is also close to Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. It all really depends on what you want. You would really need to visit both places to make the right decision. Me personally - I prefer Brissie.

Bet that makes it even harder to make your mind up now !!!!!

Les :goofy:

Guest Clare Pickersgill

hi just joined and in same boat as u!!!!! cant decide on Brisbane or Melbourne. Got 2 kids age 16 and 8 so very similar to yorself and husband an engineer, he has job offers and sponsorship and i am terrified and lost!!!!!!!!!!!need support if u would be willing. thanks

Guest Les & Woz

Hi Clare

Have you been to either? We are going to Melbourne (due to visa we had to go for) but we prefer Brisbane and are hoping we will end up in Queensland eventually.

Les

Archived