raising the age limit to 55

Guest Ducati Boy

Guest Ducati Boy

Hello,

Does anyone agree that with Aus being such a vast place and urging people to live and work there that the age limit should be raised as is in NZ. We have family in SA Adelaide and would like to join them. We are professional working people and have 15yrs work left in us and have reasonable pensions. Plus our adult children are looking to go and are training to be professional people. Is there any point in us even thinking about applying.

Regards Ducati boy:cute:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Ducati Boy

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Whether or not we think that the upper age limit for skilled independent migration to Oz should be raised, the hard fact is that it is unlikely to happen, I am afraid.

It is actually sometimes possible for people aged 50+ to get into Oz on skilled visas, though. The pre-conditions are that ideally it must be a skill wchich is the most sought-after categories on the MODL (Migration Occupations in Demand List) and there must be an Employer who is willing to sponsor the person concerned.

Does either of you have a skill which is on the MODL? Please see below:

Is your occupation in demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration

If so, would you be able to get a positive skills assessment in your field? Please see here:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If the answer to both of my questions is "yes", then please see the following links:

Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

Remember that only one of you would need to meet the skills criteria.

If the above is not possible then there are two other possibilities that you could consider. The first would be a subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa because if you could afford it you would be able to obtain it independently of your children and there are certain tax-advantages in being a perpetual Temporary Resident. Please see here:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1248i.pdf

If an Investor Retirement visa would not be a goer either, then provided that enough of your children eventually migrate to Australia, Parent migration would become possible for you instead. Please see here:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Please also read Booklet 3 which is on the Booklets link above.

Do not depair, my friend. Something may be possible here even though it might take a while to achieve.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Ducati Boy

Thanks,

Will check out MODL and other links again. Need to have a fresh look at it. It just looks so confusing.:wacko:

We are also attending an Expo in London in April with the family.

My fear is that the kids and partners will get in and we will be stuck/stuffed.:notworthy:

My folks moved to Adelaide 30 years ago when they were 48 and 50 so I know it has been possible in the past.

Plus have older sister and neices there and younger brother in Sydney. The pressures on to join them and seems rather a good idea to us now.

Regards

Ducati boy

Archived