Buying furniture in Perth -

Guest Janine.wyatt

Guest Janine.wyatt

Hi everyone, were just chosen an agent and now doing a little research. Is there any 2nd hand furniture shops in perth, if not wht sort of price are we looking at for essential items. My OH doesnt think its worth taking anything with us, except the twins and clothing (slightly essential), or is it worth while taking stuff....help...im new...

Can I also say how kind and helpful everyone has been and I dont think anyone can emirgrate without the support of this forum, im addicted..

Guest julie2g1b

hi there

dont know about second hand shops as still in u.k

we are not taking furniture just my collectables and clothes oh and my super king size bed

we have just bought in the sale at matalan all bedding stuff for the 3 kids as found out

that it is quite expensive over there.

when we get there and find a rented will go to ikea in perth and buy it all from them as

about same price as here plus be nice for an update of stuff.

julie and gang :wubclub:

Guest Janine.wyatt

Hi Julie, were in swadlincote to, (hope your not my sister sneaking in and not telling me), joke, I thought of doing that but its the cost at the airport for extra baggage, is that how your doing it, i want to take the a few of the kids toys and favorite blankets so they have something familier when we arrive. Weve researched areas and like waneroo and rockhampton.

Just started visa application with Go Matilda, so maybe good 12mths behind you...

Guest julie2g1b
Hi Julie, were in swadlincote to, (hope your not my sister sneaking in and not telling me), joke, I thought of doing that but its the cost at the airport for extra baggage, is that how your doing it, i want to take the a few of the kids toys and favorite blankets so they have something familier when we arrive. Weve researched areas and like waneroo and rockhampton.

Just started visa application with Go Matilda, so maybe good 12mths behind you...

hi janine

sorry no not ur sis :biglaugh:

there is 5 of us in total we have very big suitcase each plus hand lugage plus when you book your ticket you get extra for emigrating just have to fax them proof,

sorted out all the clothes that taking as had big clear out which you will do did lots of car boots.

told the kids when it was time to sort toys out that they get a large box to take favourate stuff in and the rest what they sell can buy new over there, never seen children move so fast as to empty there rooms.

will ship the bedding over as stopping in a hotel or short term fully furnished untill we find where we want to settle, they have light blankets so will put them in suitcase with us

pm if you want any other info let me know where abouts in swad could always meet up

julie :wubclub:

Hi we brought everything we could as it would have cost us far more than the cost of a container to replace these items of the same quality here in Oz. Despite that we've still spent about $10,000 - $12,000 so far on other furniture (and still more to get).

Ali

Guest billy braveheart

hi julie

depends what visa you go on whether you get the extra baggage allowance .We are on a 457 and as its a 4 yr temp visa you only get the standard 20kgs so most of our clothing went in shipment

billy

Guest julie2g1b
hi julie

depends what visa you go on whether you get the extra baggage allowance .We are on a 457 and as its a 4 yr temp visa you only get the standard 20kgs so most of our clothing went in shipment

billy

hi billy

yea were on 136 pr visa and contacted a few airlines they say if your going out on a pr

one then you are allowed extra but if temp then not as they feel you will come back so

yes it depends on which visa you go out on so best to check with the airline you intend to

go on.

I don't live in Perth but I stopped there on the way and not only do they have Ikea but the most amazing, HUGE warehouse that sells the sort of furniture you get in the Pier and much, much cheaper. About the same in dollars as it would be in pounds, ie $800 not £800. I loved it.

But I'd say bring your stuff, all of it, leave nothing unless it's broken or unloved. We did and it cost us about £4,000. No way could you replace it all for that and it's so nice to have it all here. We couldn't afford to replace stuff on an Aussie salary anyway.

Good luck with the whole thing.

Ax

I don't think bedding is any more expensive here than the UK by the way.

That's interesting about the bedding, as I too had heard it is very expensive. One lady had to buy pillows, duvet, and covers and it costs over $500.00. I wasn't planning on bringing furniture, but after what I heard about the bedding stuff I was gonna go and get all that before we depart.

Maybe i don't need to bother!

Guest Janine.wyatt

Hi, julie just wanted to know what sort of visa are you going through on as were on a 187 independant migrant, as im a newbee not sure what a 136 is, also how old are you children cause if there not at school we go to little rascals on a wednesday mornin and mother and baby on a Thursday, I have 2yr old twins and finding tacking my children away from there grandparents the hardest thing..

Guest julie2g1b
Hi, julie just wanted to know what sort of visa are you going through on as were on a 187 independant migrant, as im a newbee not sure what a 136 is, also how old are you children cause if there not at school we go to little rascals on a wednesday mornin and mother and baby on a Thursday, I have 2yr old twins and finding tacking my children away from there grandparents the hardest thing..

hiya janine

a 136 is a skills visa permant residance hubby a bricklayer.

bet you have your hands full, mine are a bit older amy 13 chloe 11 jamie 8

i remember taking mine to mother and toddler seems yrs ago as grow up so quick.

we have no family well just OH brother and sis but dont see them much so at least not got to worry that much i know mine will be upset at leaving there aunty but said they will write and email them, bit hard with yours being so young but they will cope bet its gonna me more hard on you.

if you want you can send a personal message if you dont know how will send one to you and then you can just reply from there.

Guest julie2g1b
That's interesting about the bedding, as I too had heard it is very expensive. One lady had to buy pillows, duvet, and covers and it costs over $500.00. I wasn't planning on bringing furniture, but after what I heard about the bedding stuff I was gonna go and get all that before we depart.

hi the wottons

i also read that and quite a few others thats why i got some plus be nice to have new stuff all matching got all for £50 they have sets for single beds quilt cover bottom sheet and pillow case cost 7.50 then quilts and pillows for all 3 of mine really nice,that way at least i have them incase they are expencive.

julie:wubclub:

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird

When we bought our bedding I needed everything, so I went to Target which is not an expensive shop, I bought bedding for 1 Queen bed, eg duvet set that included cover, fitted bottom sheet and two pillowcases, I bought the same for the kids but in singles, then I bought 3 duvets, 8 pillows and some extra pillowcase covers and it came to nearly A$500 too!!!! Well expensive, buy in the UK and bring it with you!~!~!!

Sian xxx

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird
When we bought our bedding I needed everything, so I went to Target which is not an expensive shop, I bought bedding for 1 Queen bed, eg duvet set that included cover, fitted bottom sheet and two pillowcases, I bought the same for the kids but in singles, then I bought 3 duvets, 8 pillows and some extra pillowcase covers and it came to nearly A$500 too!!!! Well expensive, buy in the UK and bring it with you!~!~!!

Sian xxx

I did and I used a 5% discount card!!! Still came to that amount tho!!!

Sian

• 1 year later...
Guest duncanlauren

i heard that ozzie bedding is slightly different size to the uk stuff so worth taking from here if you are taking your uk bed but apparently uk fitted sheets wont fit ozzie beds (they are slightly longer at 203cm). might be annoying if fitted sheet keeps popping off! There is just so much to think of I mean who would of thought we would be worrying about weather or not to take our duvets LOL. Such an exciting adventure!

Good luck to all

Id say there is quite alot of second hand or reasonable 'home packages' on furntiure around Perth for sale. Osbourne Park and Rockingham has several second hand furntiure shops...

I agree in bringing your own bed linen from Uk, although bed sizes over here are different..

Also if you like Chocolates...bring some decent Chocolate with you too!

Guest guest17301

Try the Quokka free ads paper- I've had lots from it including my latest buy a timber outdoor setting for $220. As for bedding...it makes me laugh..if you buy everything top price yes it's expensive. I bought some clearance stuff from K-mart today, lovely feather and down doona for $25, 2 duvet covers, double for $9 and $4!! Even i was amazed at the $4 one-I'll take a pic of it it's lovely. Mattress protector $7, 2 pillows $13 from Woolies...just depends what quality you're after. I do love a bargain!

Try the Quokka free ads paper- I've had lots from it including my latest buy a timber outdoor setting for $220. As for bedding...it makes me laugh..if you buy everything top price yes it's expensive. I bought some clearance stuff from K-mart today, lovely feather and down doona for $25, 2 duvet covers, double for $9 and $4!! Even i was amazed at the $4 one-I'll take a pic of it it's lovely. Mattress protector $7, 2 pillows $13 from Woolies...just depends what quality you're after. I do love a bargain!

Careful fi, your slowly turning into a stepford wife! Next you'll be posting your recipes for blueberry muffins..:tongue:

Guest guest17301
Careful fi, your slowly turning into a stepford wife! Next you'll be posting your recipes for blueberry muffins..:tongue:

Read my lips... I..... DONT..... BAKE... except in the garden (on my new setting)

Archived