It's official!

Guest koala12

Guest koala12

I can now confirm I am the preferred snack of choice for the local mozzies! A couple of nights ago I heard one buzzing in the bedroom but couldn't see the blighter....next morning I woke up covered in bites all down one side - must have been cos I was sleeping on my side - and worst of all my eyelid was completely swollen and red, not sure whether it had been bitten (as it was the only one not itchy) or whether it was a reaction to the other bites! I got a few funny looks at the supermarket yesterday when I took my sunnies off.....I went and bought some lavender oil in the health shop which did actually take the swellings down (obviously can't use it on my eye!) and today I went to the nursery and bought some plants which are supposed to repel the mozzies so fingers crossed they will find another snack in future.....

Karen

Guest koala12

I am under no illusions Jo, I realise I was the second choice of snack as they normally prefer Melanie (eldest daughter) and she gets very bad reactions to the bites but....she was over at her boyfriend's that night so they had no choice but to feed on me instead and they were obviously hungry....

I have seen those plug in things, in fact Melanie has one for her room but it works out quite expensive in that you have to change the pack every day and she still gets bitten sometimes! Someone told me about something else that is better and more effective and they thought it was by Raid but couldn't remember what it was called.....so if anyone knows please let me know.

Have a good weekend everyone - Sydney is sizzling at the moment!!

Karen

The counicl have stuck warnings up around here ,saying now the flood waters have gone done its a mossie breeding ground!!!(oh the joys!) they are industrially spraying the roads flooded in the next few days to try and stop alot of them in the meantime i best stock up on aerogaurd!!

Cal x

Guest Curlysoo

If you are prone to mozzie bites and react to them (I DO!) then its a good idea to take an antihistamine on a daily basis while they are "at their busiest"! I take one called Telfast 180 its a once a day one, though I have been told by my Doctor if having a particulary bad reaction I can take one at night as well, it is a non drowsy one as well.

Its coz some of us taste real nice! :v_SPIN:

Oh I didnt realise ya had to change it everyday Karen...I just picked it up cause I was looking for that bug thing that Lynne mentioned in one of her threads about keeping bugs away...Glad to know things are sizzling down there and hope you feel better soon...The mozzies will be up here soon enuff, if this rain ever stops!!! Has been talk of a mozzie epidemic here urghhhhhhhhhh...

Hey only take ya sunglasses off if a hot guy walks past, he may think ur winking at him :)

Jo x

That plug in thing Jo is called, Pest Control 2000 and is a direct plug in and and send electronic signals out of which are not heard by humans or you household pet like dog cat etc and deter the pests. I got mine in Bunnings Warehouse and it was $99 but worth it as i aint had any in 2 weeks i been here since that first night i s**t myself lol :biglaugh::twitcy:

• 1 year later...
Guest ElleNico

Take Vitamin B complex daily. Mozzies hate the smell of it through your pores!!!(or something!)

I was in portugal last year, missed one tablet and got bit all down one side like you....took my Vit B again next day...no more bites!!.....

Guest juliemtaylor

if you can get Avon so soft over there we used it in Scotland in the highlands last year and it was amazing.

Julie x

Take Vitamin B complex daily. Mozzies hate the smell of it through your pores!!!(or something!)

I was in portugal last year, missed one tablet and got bit all down one side like you....took my Vit B again next day...no more bites!!.....

Yep plenty of Vegemite or Marmite

The best thing I have found for eye irritation is optrex.

Some one recommended to me salt water but that sound like it would really sting.

Probably best to boil the water first then add salt.

After you have been bitten use eucalyptis oil

MARMITE!!! You need marmite!!! Well that's what they say.....except that my daughter who is the biggest marmite eater in our house is also the most eaten by mozzies.

I used to hate that when I lived in Singapore, you'd go to bed and dzzzzzz dzzzzzz past your ear and you know you had a mozzie dzzzzz dzzzz, hide under the covers........dzzzzz dzzzzz it was too hot, so at 2am the lights would go on and we would wait.......and wait......and wait until we spotted it, splat it and go back to sleep......unitl the next dzzzzzzzzzzzzz ARGH!!!! Fly screens in Australia are a great invention!!

Rudi

Guest oggie1

First week of the first year we went to Turkey,mozzies just lived on us,we were told to buy a lemon spray,we did and no more mozzies.Lemon will also take away the itch from a bite,it stings for a few seconds but that's better than hours of itching.

Chris.

Archived