giving up a one man business

KIRK AND CO

I have applied to live in perth with my family & I will be giving up a business making dentures with a turnover of 120,000 a year & after tax & all deductions a profit of 50,000.I own my house (£240,000 ) with a £35,000 morgage so I am not running away from any problems far from it.The dilema is would I be better off staying here or carrying on & moving to oz to start all over again & how money you need to give you the best possible start.

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Kirk & Co

Its a decision only you can make. We both worked had a house valued at £200,000 mortgage of £50,000. Sold it moved over here yes mortgages are alot higher here but a better lifestyle over here IMHO for ourselves & kids. We love it depends how much you really want to be here if you know what I mean. You will have enough equity to put down on a house here but will have a bigger mortgage. The choice is yours.

Good Luck

Janette

Hi Guy's,

I think Jeanette is right, only you can make that decision. Would you be thinking "WHAT IF" though?

We have never even stepped foot in Australia yet, but we are all really looking forward to a new life. From what I have read on here, it seems like a good move to make!

Good luck with your decision.

Mrs C

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Mrs C

We had never came to Oz either & I feel more at home here than in the UK. We love it only regret I have is that I didnt do it years ago but the time wasn't right for me.

Janette

Hi,

I think that is what most people are feeling! I really can't wait until August, it seems to have taken over our lives at the moment. OH and I have alway's wanted to make the move but circumstances didn't allow it, but there is nothing stopping us now.

It is great hearing from people like you, and this site has really helped me answer lot's of questions so thaks everyone.

April x

Guest Mrs Braveheart

April

You are more than welcome hun & I offer as much help as I can now that I am here. This IS a fab site and helped us loads thro our process even when we were going to give up. So to all out there waiting hang in there it WILL happen.

Janette

I think if money is an important driving force then you may be disappointed here, you can't compare salaries and if you do you'll find that in Aus they seem smaller. Both my hubby and I are on less money (if you compare salaried), to what we were on in the UK. Our mortgage here is about the same as the UK. Some manage to be mortgage free but the majority don't. You'll probably be coming with more money than most and how much you need depends on the lifestyle you lead or want to lead.

It really is personal choice on if you stay or go - there's been a recent post of someone who really regrets making the move, and some people arrive and go back relatively quickly. I think these are really important posts to read as it gives both sides of the storyHave you ever been to Aus? It may be a visit will help you decide if this is the life for you - Think about what it is you want from a life in australia. I don't know much about setting up a business but guess it would take you a while to get established here and sometimes having to struggle those early months can make it feel as if the journey hasn't been worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Ali

Ali is very wise :notworthy: and I totally agree.

I too would recommend you think very carefully about what you want, and expect, from a life here. I'm not sure how much money would figure in those calculations...to us, money is just a 'needs to an end' and as long as we can get by, we're happy. In our experience -which is obviously both personal and limited- what you were and what you might have achieved in the UK carries little weight when you get over here.

We love it here and are very proud Australian citizens, but it really is just life. Just sunnier, more relaxed (if you are that way inclined!) and very different.

Good luck with your decision!

:wubclub:LC

Hello again,

Moving is a big leap, even if it is just to another town! We moved from London to Kent three years ago, at first I hated it and longed to get back to London. As the time has gone by and I have made lot's of new friends, London is rarely mentioned in our house now.

Fortunatly for me, I have a job lined up for when I arrive, so that is one thing less to worry about.

Mrs C

Archived