SA is the fifth best place in the world - Lonely Planet

Diane

And beautiful North Wales is the fourth best place....not that it's a competition or anything, not really, everyone in the list is a winner....and all that :notworthy::cute: T x

www.lonelyplanet.com/wales/north-wales-1341352/travel-tips-and-articles/mountains-quarries-and-surf-lagoons-adventures-in-north-wales

These things are done by LP to get publicity really. They always pick on more obscure/out of the way regions

Having said that, on the 2 occasions I've been to SA I thought it was lovely and Adelaide is a really nice city. It's a bit quiet for me to live there but great to visit.

Also, the photography on the LP "Best in travel" site is fantastic. I don't think I've ever seen such a lovely collection of landscape and cityscape pictures

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel

How Lonely Planet has changed from its original format. It was conceived of course as purely a guide book for travellers across Asia. It was known as The Yellow Bible, by travellers on the road, obviously due to colour, but also the fact that everybody seemed to have one.

It was a sure fire way to get recognition and all that follows that, by having ones name mentioned in the book. I once knew a guy that used to 'check out' places be it to eat or sleep in South East Asia for the book. A hard slog in those distant times.

Of course Lonely Planet is run by a corporate these days, its founder sold out years ago and done very nicely as was to be expected. The format has changed considerably to mainstream these days,but it does well in promoting countries and cities not obvious too many, off the beaten trail, so in that sense retains a certain regard to its original concept.

As for Adelaide, while being unable to live there, do find it under rated. I never really could understand how so many Perth folk could claim it 'boring', considering where they hail from, but quite a number tend to. The Hills always find a pleasure to visit when there.

My favourite place in Australia - so much going for it. I'd live there if there was work (IT).

Agreed, from what I understand it is pretty dire for IT. Then again the same could/can be said for WA and QLD. Australia is facing a few tough, many, years in its coming future. Hopefully the dream that is still being sold in the UK reflects that!!!

Being a high cost centre is really not helping with major corps shutting down shop for cheaper offshore cost centres. The irony is they, cheaper cost centres, moving to AU for better paid work to find there positions offshored and end up driving taxis to pay the bills.

IT positions have really turned into a niche role in Australia. But I suspect this is much the same in many Western countries.

I'd heard that it was quiet and "boring" so when i got there i was like whoahhh its busy. My friend said to me its a capital city so what do you expect :laugh: It had a nice feel, i bet its even nicer in summer. I went to Glenelg and i thought i was going to freeze to death at the beach lol. I really liked the marlets, went there with a pio member. Wish I had managed to go to the hills

I'd heard that it was quiet and "boring" so when i got there i was like whoahhh its busy. My friend said to me its a capital city so what do you expect :laugh: It had a nice feel, i bet its even nicer in summer. I went to Glenelg and i thought i was going to freeze to death at the beach lol. I really liked the marlets, went there with a pio member. Wish I had managed to go to the hills

You got to know the tram route really well though :wink:

Thats true and port lincoln is where the cage diving is too. It looks quite shallow though or else i wouldnt even entertain the idea of going in. Although sharks still go in shallow, might scrap that idea lol. They do it up the north of scotland in the hebrides i think so maybe i'll have to do a trip there one day. No sharks lol

Thats true and port lincoln is where the cage diving is too.

I like the idea of being protected by a cage: I wouldn't go free diving with seals though. We had an awful case in Tassie about 20 years ago of a woman taken by a shark while swimming with seals. It could have gone for the seals but nup....went for her instead. She was the mother of 5 children...including quadruplets who were about 12 months old at the time. :cry:

Thats true and port lincoln is where the cage diving is too. It looks quite shallow though or else i wouldnt even entertain the idea of going in. Although sharks still go in shallow, might scrap that idea lol. They do it up the north of scotland in the hebrides i think so maybe i'll have to do a trip there one day. No sharks lol

seems cages dont always stop sharks either. this story was about a shark that got into cage in mexico the other day.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-14/diver-has-lucky-escape-after-shark-breaks-into-cage/7932696

ive only holidayed in adelaide & done some travelling in south oz when on my working holiday before that but i thought it was fab. the city has a nice relaxed vibe with lovely old buildings & it isnt crazy busy but you can get everything you need or want. lovely pubs & cafes that were fab as well. travelling in the wine areas was beautiful & all the gorgeous little villages.

But I think the small bar syndrome is spreading everywhere. Perth has oodles of these 'alleged' happening places, who can afford the prices of course.

All for anything that encourages street life though of course. Besides keeps the streets safer as well as adding a 'vibe'. Although sometimes I do get the feeling they try almost 'to hard' ....

I forgot how nice the buildings were. Really wish id managed to get to the little villages but i thought id really need a car. One of the girls in my room ended up using the bus but i was leaving by then. I'll just have to go back! I think its probably where I would live in Australia if i was ever to move there. I love perth but i get what people mean about it being too far from the other bits of australia