Not too sure about Perth

kaiju

Hi guys, looking for advice.

Arrived in Perth (family of 5) around a year ago and have given it a good go but just dont think Perth is for us, it sounds ludicrous but it was the only major city we hadnt visited previously and we assumed it would be similar to other parts of Australia and so came here for the better time difference, distance to Asia etc, however we are finding it dull, isloated and a bit rough. Fair enough once you get closer to the city its nicer but its too expensive to live there.

We are looking for suggestions on the East coast that we can go and visit for a recce trip with a view to moving. We travelled the East Coast as teenagers and loved arriving in all these different little towns / cities that seemed like warm and welcoming communities, you just dont get that in Perth I feel.

We can spend around $650k on a house, work not really an issue but would like to be within an hour (ish) of a major City and we are open to both Queensland and NSW.

Anyone got any ideas on where a family like us could resettle and afford a house and get more of the Australian experience we expected?

Ive looked at Robina, Mudgeraba on the Gold Coast, Buderim Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay, some parts of the Hunter, any views on these areas?

Cheers guys

So where about in Perth are you? Maybe where I live its not the most exciting but its definately not rough! I have also lived in Victoria for 4 years and unless you are right in Melbourne, you will just be living in a suburb the same as here. And there are plenty rough bits there! Not that your heading there but am sure all the states will be the same.

Edited by AJ

The suburb we are in isnt rough but you are never too far from a rough suburb. We are Joondalup area. I know people say what do you expect when you are that far from the city but Leederville those sort of places are massively expensive.

I dont want to slag Perth off too much, I would rather be here than the uk and its a nice way of life, kids are happy etc, I just think there is more to Australia and I dont want to settle if we would be happier on the Gold Coast or somewhere like that. Just looking for opinions of people that have maybe lived on both sides of the country

Edited by bwolf

It is always hard to suggest areas for other people as we all have different needs and wants. Having said that, my son lives in Burleigh on the Gold Coast and I love the area around there, down into NSW and up into the Hinterland, and I could certainly live there. But i am not a big city girl and coming from rural Sussex, I do prefer a rural life altogether. Circumstances keep me in suburban Perth at the moment, but I am seriously considering a move more rural, either in WA or over to Queensland/NSW. As you are finding Perth isolated, boring and rough, I would suggest that Sydney or one of the bigger NSW cities within easy reach of Sydney would suit you better.

Would you have time to do a driving trip up the coast from Sydney to Qld and see if it is still as you remember it? Then it will be easy enough to hop online to find housing costs, services and facilities etc. if you come across a place (or places) which take your fancy. Also post your query in the NSW and Qld sub forums as some PIO members (with relevant information) may only look at those.

It is always hard to suggest areas for other people as we all have different needs and wants. Having said that, my son lives in Burleigh on the Gold Coast and I love the area around there, down into NSW and up into the Hinterland, and I could certainly live there. But i am not a big city girl and coming from rural Sussex, I do prefer a rural life altogether. Circumstances keep me in suburban Perth at the moment, but I am seriously considering a move more rural, either in WA or over to Queensland/NSW. As you are finding Perth isolated, boring and rough, I would suggest that Sydney or one of the bigger NSW cities within easy reach of Sydney would suit you better.

Hey, yes had looked at Burleigh heads and it seemed ideal until I did a bit more digging and read terrible stories about violence there amongst teens etc, it was so bad what I read I almost thought it was some kind of joke, I will try and dig it out. But in theory Burleigh seems great, close to Byron Bay, close to Surfers paradise but with hinterland etc on your doorstep.

I think I may have been harsh when I said Perth was rough, but it feels like its just lots of big main roads running through suburb after suburb, no community, no soul. Maybe its just me.

Also, we LOVE Sydney and were there with the kids in January and loved it just as much as we remembered but the cost of housing there or anywhere near is ludicrous

Edited by bwolf

Hey, yes had looked at Burleigh heads and it seemed ideal until I did a bit more digging and read terrible stories about violence there amongst teens etc, it was so bad what I read I almost thought it was some kind of joke, I will try and dig it out. But in theory Burleigh seems great, close to Byron Bay, close to Surfers paradise but with hinterland etc on your doorstep.

I think I may have been harsh when I said Perth was rough, but it feels like its just lots of big main roads running through suburb after suburb, no community, no soul. Maybe its just me.

Also, we LOVE Sydney and were there with the kids in January and loved it just as much as we remembered but the cost of housing there or anywhere near is ludicrous

Nope. Classic overdevelopment with little planning.

Nothing wrong with Burleigh Heads.... spent many a day and evening wandering around there on my own and with family and I haven't seen any issues. Just one suburb in from Burleigh is Varsity Lakes and the schools there are good. Bond University is there and there is a bit of a village atmosphere in the centre where the shops, post office etc are.

Nope. Classic overdevelopment with little planning.

Guessing you are referring to Perth there.... and I would agree. I do not like all the new suburbs that much where every house is gutter to gutter, and much prefer where I live in an older suburb with a community feel.

Perth seems to be one of those places you either love or hate. I wouldn't want to live there, and my niece (who adored Sydney and Melbourne) got a chance of a job there and only lasted a month! Whereas I have two friends who weren't happy in Sydney, moved to Perth and are happy as pigs in mud. It's a personal thing.

I wouldn't have thought Newcastle was more expensive than Perth - anyway, it's not nearly as sprawling so you could live in the cheaper outer suburbs and still be within an easy drive of the inner city or Nobby's Beach. In fact quite a number of people live in places like Port Stephens (nearby holiday resort) and commute in.

If you're thinking of those Gold Coast areas with a view to working in Brisbane, I wouldn't advise it. Unless you can get on a train line, the commute at peak hour is horrid. Much better to live in a Brisbane suburb and pop down to the Gold Coast on the weekends for the beach. Brisbane housing prices are about half the cost of Sydney.

Edited by Marisawright

I can understand the posters wish to move to another state. Perth I found boring and when you have done all the tripd, days out, trips to the beach there aint nothing much left. For a young person is is a no brainer to leave as there is just nothing for them. Why cant Perth change? what is stopping it from becoming more exiting and with better nightlife like other states? this is a serious question...why cant it change?

The suburb we are in isnt rough but you are never too far from a rough suburb. We are Joondalup area. I know people say what do you expect when you are that far from the city but Leederville those sort of places are massively expensive.

I dont want to slag Perth off too much, I would rather be here than the uk and its a nice way of life, kids are happy etc, I just think there is more to Australia and I dont want to settle if we would be happier on the Gold Coast or somewhere like that. Just looking for opinions of people that have maybe lived on both sides of the country

Don't be shy. Feel free to 'slag it off'. I critique from time to time. I couldn't do the suburban thing myself. (be that Perth or another big city) Very happy to have bought into Leederville before the housing inflated to ridiculous levels. Still hardly the bee's knees though. But great to have so many dining options/cafes and what passes as a vibe on doorstep and not particularly needing a car.

As for other places no idea about Gold Coast but don't find the idea that appealing. Really not sure anywhere fits with anything like near perfection.

One should perhaps be aware Australia in general is a rather conservative place and for an allegedly easy going sort of place, rather formal in social setting. It can be incredibly hard to find a ' social footing' at any sort of meaningful level, doubt if that is particularly state dependant either.

Perth possibly has as many ' cool' younger folk now as Melbourne in its inner areas. Both and all cities have large areas not akin to that, but struggling and aspiring types not too shy to use others for own ends.

Perhaps a larger town could be the answer. Newcastle I've never been to but here both good and bad reports. I've never come up with an alternative ideal to where I am although have given it careful consideration. It depends a lot on stage of live as well.

Good luck on your search.

Mudgeeraba, Worongary, Tallai are all places id happily live if moving down that way. If i wanted acreage or greenery and didnt have school age kid(s), id head for Advancetown. Clagiraba or Gilston, Mt Nathan is nice too but a bit pricey, all feel like a million miles from the 'Gold Coast' you would expect / imagine.

Tweed is a bit rough looking and its not somewhere id want to settle, but bear in mind a few GC suburbs arent so great either, Highland Park, Nerang etc seem to have a bit of a bad rep out there, its definately trying to get over here and have a good drive around.

Cal x

As previous people say depends where you work and what you like doing after school and weekends. We moved to South GC in January, renting in robina bought land in gilston to build. Love my bush outlook but maybe not when the wildlife visit.... Loving convenience of robina decent shops and hubby trains to Brisbane. Long day for him but kids at school in burleigh so we can go to beach or park after school and just signed them all up for nippers .

Im glad we settled here but def would have considered tallebudgera valley and reedy creek / mudgeeraba in hindsight but looked at commute to Brisbane and beach and size of land we wanted...and gilston ticked boxes... Good luck

I would consider other parts of Perth before jumping to the other side of the continent.

You are in the far north and in an area that does have a fair few suburbs that I would avoid close by. I know if we had moved to Joondalup we wouldn't have lasted a month. Have a consider of other parts first.

Your first posted complained of being isolated, in a dull area. This house - as nice as it looks for the money - doesn't look it will solve either of those two problems! Unless you are happy to drive everywhere of course, which I know isn't a problem for many people here.

I would consider other parts of Perth before jumping to the other side of the continent.

You are in the far north and in an area that does have a fair few suburbs that I would avoid close by. I know if we had moved to Joondalup we wouldn't have lasted a month. Have a consider of other parts first.

How did you last so long in Mandurah then? Largest unemployment in WA there reported on the news they other day. And a scabby old funfair from the 70's is one of the main attractions! And no I dont live in Joondalup, far too many poms ;-)