British Backpacker Stabbed in Hostel near Townsville

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

What tragic news. I am flying up there tomorrow if there are any backpackers currently at the hostel and wish for somewhere to stay please pm me.

Thoughts and prayers to all affected :hug:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/british-woman-dead-two-injured-in-backpacker-hostel-stabbing/news-story/c09611356e6e9ea8b7ed65ac9a8ba63d

Guest The Pom Queen
Why the duplicate thread ?

Firstly, I don't need to provide any explanation for what I post on my forum thanks, secondly as we have really bad internet with limited service until we are connected at the end of the month I don't have time to trawl through every single thread or post looking.

Thirdly, I've just looked on the forum at all the thread titles and can't see anything about what happened up here, unless you are meaning your headline of terrorist attack in Brisbane which I haven't heard about yet, I can't find anything about a terrorist attack in Brisbane.

Until more news is released about this horrific incident, wouldn't it be better to just take a breath?

Maybe he was just a stuffed in the head drunk Frenchman, or maybe he was a moslem on a jihad mission. We just don't know. Just hope the police reveal the truth and the media report it as such, whatever it is.

Bottom line is though that a young British girl is dead..... just imagine what her family are going through right now!

Until more news is released about this horrific incident, wouldn't it be better to just take a breath?

Maybe he was just a stuffed in the head drunk Frenchman, or maybe he was a moslem on a jihad mission. We just don't know. Just hope the police reveal the truth and the media report it as such, whatever it is.

Bottom line is though that a young British girl is dead..... just imagine what her family are going through right now!

Bottom line is that this will not be reported as a Islamic terrorist act.

I can't imagine what her family is going through. It really goes to show that it can happen to anyone, anywhere and at any moment. Home Hill is the last place on earth where I would expect something like this to happen.

I initially thought jilted admirer:

Beautiful girl... Boy who does not fully understand the idea of consent...

But it has been reported he didn't know the victims and had no bad feeling towards them personally.

I can't imagine what her family is going through. It really goes to show that it can happen to anyone, anywhere and at any moment. Home Hill is the last place on earth where I would expect something like this to happen.

I initially thought jilted admirer:

Beautiful girl... Boy who does not fully understand the idea of consent...

But it has been reported he didn't know the victims and had no bad feeling towards them personally.

That's not how it's being reported in the UK:

According to the Herald Sun, Frenchman Smail Ayad was arrested at the scene of the attack but has yet to be formally charged.

The paper stated cops were probing a theory that he may have been infatuated with Mia, who was staying at the hostel while working as a fruitpicker.

Ayad, 29, had told other backpackers the pair were deeply in love and married – but his alleged obsession turned sour after hearing she posed for revealing photos and did not reciprocate his feelings, the Townsville Bulletin reported.

That's not how it's being reported in the UK:

According to the Herald Sun, Frenchman Smail Ayad was arrested at the scene of the attack but has yet to be formally charged.

The paper stated cops were probing a theory that he may have been infatuated with Mia, who was staying at the hostel while working as a fruitpicker.

Ayad, 29, had told other backpackers the pair were deeply in love and married – but his alleged obsession turned sour after hearing she posed for revealing photos and did not reciprocate his feelings, the Townsville Bulletin reported.

I hadn't read the Herald Sun report, but always considered something along those lines as being the most probable.

I guess anyone who stabs someone to death has mental health issues. Of course the government doesn't want any mention of the T word. If they check out the killer's background and find out he has any radical Islam links it will look like a security failure. I know we need cheap labour for fruit and veggie picking but do they just let anyone in on a WHV without a background check?

I guess anyone who stabs someone to death has mental health issues. Of course the government doesn't want any mention of the T word. If they check out the killer's background and find out he has any radical Islam links it will look like a security failure. I know we need cheap labour for fruit and veggie picking but do they just let anyone in on a WHV without a background check?

Or else it allows the government a carte bleu reason to further take away freedoms by bringing draconian laws. It is unusual for voters to extinguish a government in time of national crisis as well. In that sense the build up of fear falls into the lap of present government.

The French national in question was not on the radar of his home authorities it appears, hence the Herald Sun article for reasons behind the outrage ,appears about right.

Guest The Pom Queen
Any evidence to support your theory of mental illness.

I would think anyone who stabbed someone to death as severe mental health issues

The individual has been charged now anyway and for sure sounds like an obsession based crime. As for the arabic chant so many people these days seem to want to hear what they want to hear and maybe not what was actually said. Even if what was said was actually said does not mean a common phrase in the arab or islamic world makes everyone there a terrorist and if said in this case more likely said for effect, although none of us here were there so these are just opinions much like the press reports.