Teachers evacuated to Cairns for their own safety and school closed again.

calNgary

For the second time ,teachers have been evacuated from Aurukun School for their own safety due to the violence and threats they have received.

There are concerns about getting teachers to take up positions there when the school re opens as 5 have already refused to return. It is sad for the good well behaved members of the community but i do feel for the teachers and understand why they dont want to go back. It is a shame the police dont stamp down on the offenders harshly as they would in other parts of Australia, but that is thought to be because they are indigenous.

Whats the solution ?

This is a timeline of how events leading to the recent closure have unfolded - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-25/timeline-of-violence-at-aurukun/7444866

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/aurukun-mothers-angry-school-closed/7446898

A few years ago a friend of mine moved to a NT aboriginal settlement town. His wife was a teacher with a social conscience and had always wanted to try and make a difference in the lives of aboriginal children. On the day they arrived they were just settling in to their house when a group of aboriginal males turned up making threats and telling her how they were going to rape her. Over the next few days the abuse and threats continued so they had no choice but to leave for their own safety.

Until the Aboriginal community puts it's own house in order then I don't know what can be done. If I was a teacher there would be no way I would go out there to work, even if the money wad quadrupled. The police have their hands tied too. On the one hand you've got every reasonable person asking why they can't do anything about the violence, on the other you have aboriginal legal services and god knows how many other agencies always questioning why so many indigenous people are in jail. What are they supposed to do?

The principal is also an Aboriginal and he was car jacked there and threatened with an axe. I guess the police are feeling a bit, damned if you do, damned if you don't but i hope its sorted soon so the kids who do want to behave and learn, can do.

Cal x

Sad truth is that this is becoming more and more prevalent in schools, whatever the location. I currently work in what is referred to as a 'leafy green' school, but I have been assaulted more than once by kids with anger issues. Many teachers in schools have.

It is a problem that continues to be ignored, with the parents of these kids blaming everybody else, mostly the teachers, on these incidents. One such example, the high school in Kalgoorlie is notorious for student violence and many teachers are extremely reluctant to work there. It's just kind of accepted now that it is the 'norm' to be kicked and punched by students. It is rare to even be able to expel students who continually offend.

I love teaching, however, I won't be doing it for more than the next five years though. Bureaucracy and paperwork are wearing me down..

Edited by Sammy1

Sad truth is that this is becoming more and more prevalent in schools, whatever the location. I currently work in what is referred to as a 'leafy green' school, but I have been assaulted more than once by kids with anger issues. Many teachers in schools have.

It is a problem that continues to be ignored, with the parents of these kids blaming everybody else, mostly the teachers, on these incidents. One such example, the high school in Kalgoorlie is notorious for student violence and many teachers are extremely reluctant to work there. It's just kind of accepted now that it is the 'norm' to be kicked and punched by students. It is rare to even be able to expel students who continually offend.

I love teaching, however, I won't be doing it for more than the next five years though. Bureaucracy and paperwork are wearing me down..

This isn't bullying, playground fighting or a random attack on a teacher though, these guys have tried to carjack the principal,stolen his car more than once, threatened his wife,they've used knives and axes and even gone to teachers homes and carried out home invasions. Teachers had to have panic buttons installed at home, so to me this is very far from normal or Australia wide,although i do agree violence at lots of schools in this day and age is on the rise, i doubt it is to this extent or ferocity..

Cal x

They could offer good quality boarding school places for the kids who do want to learn, with parents making the commitment to support their program (emotionally and socially if not financially). Then there is always distance education and school of the air if the school is not viable. Probably be cheaper than on site teachers who live in fear of their lives and get abused on a daily basis.

They could offer good quality boarding school places for the kids who do want to learn, with parents making the commitment to support their program (emotionally and socially if not financially). Then there is always distance education and school of the air if the school is not viable. Probably be cheaper than on site teachers who live in fear of their lives and get abused on a daily basis.

That's a good idea. Even though most of the kids are so badly damaged they are beyond help. If we could only identify some with potential and get them into a safe learning environment away from the influence of their toxic communities it would be start. Then I suppose we would have problems with the parents who would refuse to let them go.

If we could only identify some with potential and get them into a safe learning environment away from the influence of their toxic communities it would be start. Then I suppose we would have problems with the parents who would refuse to let them go.

The TV report I saw on the problem - I think it was the ABC 7.30 report - did mention that some students from the community were away at boarding school. But I don't remember any mention of the reasons ... whether cost or relatives with whom to board or motivated parents were the deciding factors.

That's a good idea. Even though most of the kids are so badly damaged they are beyond help. If we could only identify some with potential and get them into a safe learning environment away from the influence of their toxic communities it would be start. Then I suppose we would have problems with the parents who would refuse to let them go.

Sounds like a good plan and common sense doesn't it. It's been tried though and the government made an apology to the "stolen generation". Can't have that happening again. Saw on the news last night that the local community are blaming the local police.

They really do need to take a good hard look at themselves.