Simple question.... Is living in Oz better?

Veronica41

Hi, this may sound like a silly question but I'm genuinely interested in people opinions.

There's obviously a reason this page is even set up and so many people choose to leave everything behind and go for it.

I also know everyone has their own reasons, but is it better?

No high and mighty answers please just looking for people's personal opinion.

Thanks in advance xx

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is absolutely an individual thing, but for us our life in Australia is probably better then we'd have in the UK considering all things, this is despite my children missing their grandparents etc. We like the weather and like to be outdoors regularly, and Australia wins hands down. Also, we don't cope well with the dark winter nights the closer to the poles you get with early sunsets and late sunrises in the UK, so again Australia wins us over again on that part. I also have better employment conditions then I'd have in the UK. I also like the idea of bringing my children up in Australia, I think their are a lot of positives to the lifestyle here.

Is absolutely an individual thing, but for us our life in Australia is probably better then we'd have in the UK considering all things, this is despite my children missing their grandparents etc. We like the weather and like to be outdoors regularly, and Australia wins hands down. Also, we don't cope well with the dark winter nights the closer to the poles you get with early sunsets and late sunrises in the UK, so again Australia wins us over again on that part. I also have better employment conditions then I'd have in the UK. I also like the idea of bringing my children up in Australia, I think their are a lot of positives to the lifestyle here.

Thank you, it was a personal experience answer I was looking for x

It may be a simple question but it's impossible to answer. Some people like it better, some people don't.

When I arrived in Australia 30 years ago, I would've said "Australia is better" because the career opportunities were better, and the housing was more expensive but the pay was much better so you were still better off. I landed in Australia and within weeks I had three job offers, all at a higher level than I'd been at in the UK.

Nowadays, there is a lot more career opportunity in the UK and Europe than in Australia; housing in Oz is very expensive; and the pay is better for some occupations and worse for others. Many migrants have to take a step down in their career when they arrive now.

I think the reason so many migrants still want to move is that the image of Australia in the UK is still based on what Australia used to be like! And consider that only about half of them end up settling permanently - the rest go home again - so obviously something didn't live up to their dream.

Personally I prefer living in Australia, and if you want to go and can easily qualify for a 189 visa, I'd say go for it - just make sure you can afford the cost to move there AND come back, in case you don't like it. But I can't understand people who jump through multiple hoops to get to Australia at all costs - it's a nice place but it's not paradise!

Edited by Marisawright

Hi, this may sound like a silly question but I'm genuinely interested in people opinions.

There's obviously a reason this page is even set up and so many people choose to leave everything behind and go for it.

I also know everyone has their own reasons, but is it better?

No high and mighty answers please just looking for people's personal opinion.

Thanks in advance xx

Simple question back. What do you feel is wrong with your life now that you think moving somewhere in Australia will solve? And bear in mind that Australia is much larger than the continent of Europe with diverse landscapes and climate so you should probably specify what state in Australia really.

Smaller commute, more disposable income, more outdoor activities. World class beaches any weekend...

It's not too bad.

Simple question back. What do you feel is wrong with your life now that you think moving somewhere in Australia will solve? And bear in mind that Australia is much larger than the continent of Europe with diverse landscapes and climate so you should probably specify what state in Australia really.

This is very, very true. I loved living in Sydney, but if I was told I couldn't go back there and would have to live in Perth or Darwin instead, I would rather stay in the UK. Whereas some people love living in those cities and would hate the thought of living in Sydney.

It's no different to the UK really - there are people who love living in London and people who hate it. I'm currently living in Southampton and I don't like it - but there are other cities in the UK that I would be happy to live in.

Thank you. I know it's a complex question to answer which is why I was asking for personal experience. I am not asking if Australia will be better for me , I'm asking was it better for you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply x

OK, in that case, the answer is no.

This is very, very true. I loved living in Sydney, but if I was told I couldn't go back there and would have to live in Perth or Darwin instead, I would rather stay in the UK. Whereas some people love living in those cities and would hate the thought of living in Sydney.

It's no different to the UK really - there are people who love living in London and people who hate it. I'm currently living in Southampton and I don't like it - but there are other cities in the UK that I would be happy to live in.

Problem I found was that it was much easier to find a job in London than anywhere else. So either eye watering house prices or a big commute with insanely expensive rail fare.

Nothing is wrong with my life here, I'm assuming nothing would be wrong with my life there as life is what you make it. My question is intended to find out how other people feel Australia is better or not. As Iv never been I have no opinion as for where to go again Iv no idea. The Gold Coast looks pretty, Adelaide looks homely and Sydney looks expensive but a Google enquiry here and there makes me no expert.

definitely not better..and certainly not worse..just different...I'm happy in Aus but was happy in UK too...'better' I believe comes from inside yourself and not being in either country...id rather stay in Aus simply because it's warmer but that has drawbacks too

Certainly for our family it has been much, much better but I guess we long term old migrants had it a lot easier than the new ones today. Everything was cheaper when we came and the weather was so much better and less depressing. That's still the case of course but prices are now very high and there isn't the same 'can do' enthusiasm about Australia. We have had some really bad governments ( so bad you wouldn't believe it!) and this looks set to continue. I wouldn't ever go back though and I do suspect things are no better in the UK, either.

Nothing is wrong with my life here, I'm assuming nothing would be wrong with my life there as life is what you make it. My question is intended to find out how other people feel Australia is better or not. As Iv never been I have no opinion as for where to go again Iv no idea. The Gold Coast looks pretty, Adelaide looks homely and Sydney looks expensive but a Google enquiry here and there makes me no expert.

Yes it is, but me saying my life is better here is not going to help you one bit. You have no idea what my life was like in Surrey (it was good btw but I was working then and semi-retired now) and will almost certainly not experience the life I have traded it for in SE Queensland.

If you truly wish to gain insight on whether the move may be suitable in your circumstances you will have to reveal something more about your own circumstances, likes and dislikes, so that similar people can relate and respond.

Some places in the Gold Coast are pretty, some are ghastly though imo (whatever that is worth).

Based purely on personal outcome, I would say no. That is based on having spent 8 years there until recently and now moving back to the UK.

I find I am working less hours for more pay and shorter commute times - so much better both life / work balance and financial. Though given we were struggling for work for the last 18 months in Oz, that isn't surprising. I vastly prefer the climate in the UK as found it far too hot in WA. I prefer the countryside here and the ability to wander without the risk of snakes and being able to take my dog to national parks - this was a big part of my pre Oz life and now a big part of my life again, so very important to me. I didn't like the somewhat plastic feel of Australian cities and prefer old buildings - so now living in Windsor which suits me. Also, like having Europe on the door step compared to a medium length flight just to get to Bali - a place we are not fans of anyway - and the fact I can take the dog on holiday with us.

Yes it is, but me saying my life is better here is not going to help you one bit. You have no idea what my life was like in Surrey (it was good btw but I was working then and semi-retired now) and will almost certainly not experience the life I have traded it for in SE Queensland.

If you truly wish to gain insight on whether the move may be suitable in your circumstances you will have to reveal something more about your own circumstances, likes and dislikes, so that similar people can relate and respond.

Some places in the Gold Coast are pretty, some are ghastly though imo (whatever that is worth).

it is an honest reply which is all I asked. I obviously do not know anyone's life circumstances when in the uk so that is an invalid point. As Iv said if life is better in Oz I'd love to know why. If life is horrible, why? This is not by any means my bases in which to move to the other side of the world it is merely out of interest.

My personal circumstances could be the same as a thousand others and different from a thousand more. I don't need opinios on what I should or shouldn't do, that I can decide myself. When Iv actually made the move and have something to share to help others I'll gladly do that.

Edited by Veronica41

Based purely on personal outcome, I would say no. That is based on having spent 8 years there until recently and now moving back to the UK.

I find I am working less hours for more pay and shorter commute times - so much better both life / work balance and financial. Though given we were struggling for work for the last 18 months in Oz, that isn't surprising. I vastly prefer the climate in the UK as found it far too hot in WA. I prefer the countryside here and the ability to wander without the risk of snakes and being able to take my dog to national parks - this was a big part of my pre Oz life and now a big part of my life again, so very important to me. I didn't like the somewhat plastic feel of Australian cities and prefer old buildings - so now living in Windsor which suits me. Also, like having Europe on the door step compared to a medium length flight just to get to Bali - a place we are not fans of anyway - and the fact I can take the dog on holiday with us.

Thank you , that was very insightful x