Are the politicians deliberately killing off skilled work to mass allow influx of immigrants?

Maggie2012

Perhaps living in Canberra has one advantage, that news filter out. For an everyday Joe it is a bad place to be and especially for those who see the massive bureaucracy in play. Australians really do not know how government workers and their friends live here "la vida loca". Good jobs stay withing friends and family. But that is besides the point.

You have to be stupid to fall into the fake ads (like the open trade agreement with China is good for us). So you wonder what is the underlying mission of the big players (often rich politicians wanting to get even richer).

You see skilled industries dying off:

automobile industry.....gone

machining and metalworking...gone, dying

steel industry..dying, mills are closing

bodybuilding....gone, dying

defense spending..filling and supporting the growth of foreign industries (like the Japanese will build the next submarines for Australia)

farming and agriculture..dying because of cheap imports and land used for other purposes (fertile lands sold to Chinese mining companies who destroy the land, take the resources and leave environmental catastrophes behind)

textile and supporting industries..gone (now everything is made in Pakistan)

mining...slowing (years of undervalued/undersold resources and foreign ownership/ management are finally hitting home)

Are the politicians deliberately killing off skilled work to mass allow influx of immigrants? Or is there something even more sinister in play? What do you think?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a real estate friend the other day and we were commenting on how different a place we are going to be living in within ten years or so - so many foreign nationals buying property now - and if it's happening in sleepy Adelaide, it's probably much more noticeable in other cities.

As for 'not propping up dying industries with tax payer money' - well, firstly, most other first world countries do this for the long term benefits, Australia is very short-sighted, and secondly, I would rather my tax dollars go to supporting industries to provide long term job prospects, than supporting politicians perks!

I was talking to a real estate friend the other day and we were commenting on how different a place we are going to be living in within ten years or so - so many foreign nationals buying property now - and if it's happening in sleepy Adelaide, it's probably much more noticeable in other cities.

As for 'not propping up dying industries with tax payer money' - well, firstly, most other first world countries do this for the long term benefits, Australia is very short-sighted, and secondly, I would rather my tax dollars go to supporting industries to provide long term job prospects, than supporting politicians perks!

And Centrelink payments

Clearly in my experience foreign buyers are not only buying residential properties in cities in our rural area (farming, agriculture area) Large scale horticulre/viticulture farms are mostly owned by foreign companies and many more are being bought all the time by foreign companies al over the area and country.

And Centrelink payments

Exactly - surely far better to put some tax dollars into supporting an industry that employs people, than have to pay out those tax dollars in benefits to all those people when they are out of work because of the demise of the industry?

From the excellent John Lord's blog:

When all of Australia’s car factories close, that will add about 12,500 people to the dole queue. Most of the parts suppliers will also close their plants, adding a further 33,000 people.

However, when you apply the six-to-one multiplier effect endorsed by the 2008 Bracks report on the car industry and the assistance provided, Senator Nick Xenophon​reckons there will be between 150,000 and 200,000 people out of an automotive-related job. Will we have a recession?

http://winstonclose.me/2015/11/27/day-to-day-politics-with-john-lord/

Exactly - surely far better to put some tax dollars into supporting an industry that employs people, than have to pay out those tax dollars in benefits to all those people when they are out of work because of the demise of the industry?

I disagree, when I read your post my mind springs to the coal industry.

There are many reviews that suggest this industry is not just having a slowdown, it is in structural decline. It will never recover.

To put our taxpayers money into it is foolish, negligent and plainly corrupt.

I would rather pay a little centreline than prop up the dead.

We claim to live in a capitalist society, as such bad businesses must fail, it's part of the cycle of capitalist life!

Aussies are driven people, a person making a miners wage isn't going to sit on centrelink long, they will find work.

farming and agriculture..dying because of cheap imports and land used for other purposes (fertile lands sold to Chinese mining companies who destroy the land, take the resources and leave environmental catastrophes behind)

Farming and agriculture definitely isn't dying, notwithstanding the contentious issue of agricultural land sold to mining companies.

Its value in the current financial year is forecast to be 16% above the average of the previous 5 years.

93% of food consumed in Oz is actually produced in Oz and the growing middle classes of Asia (especially China) are willing to pay premium prices for Australian products....(which is why I can no longer afford Tasmanian lobster :cry:)

Farming and agriculture definitely isn't dying, notwithstanding the contentious issue of agricultural land sold to mining companies.

Its value in the current financial year is forecast to be 16% above the average of the previous 5 years.

93% of food consumed in Oz is actually produced in Oz and the growing middle classes of Asia (especially China) are willing to pay premium prices for Australian products....(which is why I can no longer afford Tasmanian lobster :cry:)

I agree some what however a lot of these farms/ horticulture/viticulture enterprises are foreign owned many bringing in foreign labour to work them. More and more of our premium farming/ growing areas are being bought by foreign buyers. They pay a premium price which prices out local farmers/growers much the same as they have with the housing market.

...They pay a premium price which prices out local farmers/growers much the same as they have with the housing market.

In the housing market in Brisbane foreigners are driving demand for construction rather than buying up existing stock...they are not allowed to buy established homes.

In the housing market in Brisbane foreigners are driving demand for construction rather than buying up existing stock...they are not allowed to buy established homes.[/QU

No they're not allowed now but in the past they were which has pushed the market up.

When ? Not in Brisbane.

I don't know about Brisbane to be fair but they have been allowed in Victoria and NSW previously. There are ways and means around the rules and they are only forced to sell if they get caught ( how many would that be i wonder).

Edited by Guest

Perhaps living in Canberra has one advantage, that news filter out. For an everyday Joe it is a bad place to be and especially for those who see the massive bureaucracy in play. Australians really do not know how government workers and their friends live here "la vida loca". Good jobs stay withing friends and family. But that is besides the point.

You have to be stupid to fall into the fake ads (like the open trade agreement with China is good for us). So you wonder what is the underlying mission of the big players (often rich politicians wanting to get even richer).

defense spending..filling and supporting the growth of foreign industries (like the Japanese will build the next submarines for Australia)

mining...slowing (years of undervalued/undersold resources and foreign ownership/ management are finally hitting home)

Are the politicians deliberately killing off skilled work to mass allow influx of immigrants? Or is there something even more sinister in play? What do you think?

I'm not the best at economics, but it seems that you have latched on to some extremes there. Australia can't support an automotive industry which the government has already been subsidising.

I hope we do buy submarines from Japan as we have already shown our inability to build or maintain the present class of Collins submarines.

Australia has always depended upon its resources industries as well as farming, and the firms, including Australian companies like BHP and Woodside (I've got shares in the latter) have operations all over the world.

Where are all the present "environmental catastrophes?"

Of course mining is going through a decline. I don't like it but that is what economies do and that is why when I buy shares I take the long-term view.

Textiles from Third World countries? Again, it's always been so. Where does Britain get most of its clothing from?

Perhaps you are right and Australia is on the verge of a century-long slump but I'm more scared of the rise of terrorism.

I don't know about Brisbane to be fair but they have been allowed in Victoria and NSW previously. There are ways and means around the rules and they are only forced to sell if they get caught ( how many would that be i wonder).

They don't even need to be caught, NSW has been aware of it for years. Money coming in, rather than going out, so they've turned a blind eye.

Yes in Brisbane and related areas. Although they came later into the fray. Judged better value than the over heated Sydney/Melbourne markets.

Massive investment by foreign nationals in Brisbane, but in new apartments.

Here is one such suburb a few km from Brisbane CBD:

12106290_1502513656743378_795673222_n.jpg

Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1448200&page=72

In March this year We sold our house in Adelaide (eastern suburbs kens park) 700K (720m2) to a Chinese family who could not speak a word of english , next door neighbour was not happy and actually asked us not to sell to the chinese!!!!!!, haha tough luck , what a racist clown. We had another offer of 750 but decided to take what was real as we just could not get out of adelaide quick enough.

The chinese paid cash, no financing required. On our old street this makes four of the 10 houses now owned by chinese,

Edited by deryans

It's all well and good with massive foreign investment in new build projects but with some of the new trade agreements many are now allowed to bring in an all foreign workforce on these massive build projects. So no new jobs on these projects for local workers.

I think there is a strong realisation certainly in Adelaide that the government is inept and incompetent, the place has been dying for years and now there is simply not enough income to pay all the government liabilities (over 10% of the population is directly employed by the government) the problem is how do you fix it when they are so ingrained in the system, you can't embark on large reform, the cancer is spread too deep and wide and to remove it would surely kill the patient.

There are massive contract and pension liabilities that will outweigh any south australian efforts to remedy, this is what happens when you have ingrained nepotism and cronyism which leads inevitably to incompetence and lack of professionalism.