Observations - driving in QLD

tina0101

A few things I have discovered about driving in QLD that I was not expecting!! May be useful to others coming over, as I have certainly found it a very different driving experience to the rage-inducing Reading traffic in the UK!

• I had no idea that the indicators and windscreen wipers are the other way around. Hence lots of comical windscreen washing when I tried to signal/flash my lights.... !!
  • Everyone (pretty much) sticks to the speed limit. Have seen much less speeding than I saw in the UK. I guess it's because the police are less conspicuous when zapping speeding drivers than in the UK. I've noticed the police use a variety of cars to put the camera in, so you never really know!!
  • There is not really an overtaking lane on the motorway. It doesn't matter which lane you are in, you will get over or undertaken. Not a problem, but having a truck each side hammer past you is fairly intimidating!!!
  • People don't say 'thank you' as much - when you let people out, or let them filter in I hardly ever get a raised hand or flash to say thanks.
  • When it rains, everyone seems to lose the ability to drive. I guess I was just used to the constant rain in the UK, so can cope when it's bucketing down here :-)
  • Cruise control is used a lot more.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• There is not really an overtaking lane on the motorway. It doesn't matter which lane you are in, you will get over or undertaken. Not a problem, but having a truck each side hammer past you is fairly intimidating!!!

Keeping left and overtaking

Keeping left

On single-lane roads, you must stay as close as practical to the left side of the road.

On multi-lane roads, if the speed limit is 90km/h or more, or if the road has a ‘keep left unless overtaking’ sign, you must not drive in the right-hand lane unless you are:

• overtaking

• turning right

• making a U-turn

• avoiding an obstruction

• driving in congested traffic

• using a special purpose lane that you are allowed to be in.

If you fail to follow these rules you may be fined.

Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multi-lane roads.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/road/left/index.html

It just seems to be done more over here but it aint legal

Edited by HelensvaleHoward

You are very lucky then where ever you are in qld! Where I am most drivers speed & tailgate you. I've had people start merging into my car so that I've had to slam on the breaks & let them in only to have them abuse me anyway. Really makes me hate driving :(

A few things I have discovered about driving in QLD that I was not expecting!! May be useful to others coming over, as I have certainly found it a very different driving experience to the rage-inducing Reading traffic in the UK!

• I had no idea that the indicators and windscreen wipers are the other way around. Hence lots of comical windscreen washing when I tried to signal/flash my lights.... !!

• Everyone (pretty much) sticks to the speed limit. Have seen much less speeding than I saw in the UK. I guess it's because the police are less conspicuous when zapping speeding drivers than in the UK. I've noticed the police use a variety of cars to put the camera in, so you never really know!!

• People don't say 'thank you' as much - when you let people out, or let them filter in I hardly ever get a raised hand or flash to say thanks.

• When it rains, everyone seems to lose the ability to drive. I guess I was just used to the constant rain in the UK, so can cope when it's bucketing down here :-)

Windscreen wipers versus indicators is to do with make of car not Queensland. Japanese make and it is one side, European make and it is the other. Can't remember which way round it is though.

I agree people don't say thank you as much, they don't like letting people out either we found. But the biggest bug bear was the tailgating...

I couldn't find the lights first time I needed them... They were a dial on their own to the right of the steering wheel, not on the stalk as expected. Do'h!

I was undertaken on a narrow dual carriageway the other night. I know it's normal here but I was taken aback and reminded how dangerous it can be. Will need to learn the new rules!

My Mazda has the indicators on the righthand side while my hubby's ute is the opposite. Nothing to do with Australia, it's down to the make of vehicle.

Lots of drivers in WA do not adhere to speed limits.

Undertaking is very common here. You'll see lots of vehicles driving on the righthand lane even though they are not overtaking/turning right, they still don't move over to the left lane regardless of how many vehicles undertake them.

Nope, 'Thank Yous' are few and far between.

Some drivers lose the ability to drive as soon as they turn the ignition on ;)

Not sure how you can tell when another vehicle is or is not using cruise control?

We've driven in most departments. It's definitely an Australian style of driving as opposed to just Qld.

Weve had two hit and runs with no details left, one with us and babies in the car and quite a bit of damage.

It is much more dangerous on the roads in Australia due to people's dangerous driving habits.

People in the UK are generally very polite on the roads.

Polite in UK? Right! I'm not sure what area in UK you drive in however I had found UK driving fast and furious, everybody shouting at each other, fighting for space and always running late. Queensland driving is simply different, cruise control rules, everything is larger, lorries in all lanes with undertaking etc. My biggest issue is the constant letting out of people from side roads....not one or two but the whole lot. Also the filtering (loss) of the left hand lane which takes some getting used to.

At least QLD is not as stupid as the right hand filter to turn left in Melbourne!

S

I just thought I'd post my observations for anyone else new - as I said, it is very different to where I was in the UK!!

I know the indicator/wiper thing isn't australian, but every car I've driven has been that way - in the UK I don't think I ever drove a car where they were the other way.

I also know the rules regarding overtaking, but it doesn't happen. I was terrified the first time two massive trucks took me on each side - it just doesn't happen in the UK.

I just thought I'd post my observations for anyone else new - as I said, it is very different to where I was in the UK!!

I know the indicator/wiper thing isn't australian, but every car I've driven has been that way - in the UK I don't think I ever drove a car where they were the other way.

I also know the rules regarding overtaking, but it doesn't happen. I was terrified the first time two massive trucks took me on each side - it just doesn't happen in the UK.

A Aus driver already then? driving in the middle lane so vehicles have to pass either side.

In the UK, you're pretty much left alone in the slow lane of the motorway, here idiots tailgate you.. Indication seems too much bother and we have been in a number of near misses with people changing lines, not giving way at roundabouts and pulling out of stationary parks without indication. Speed is lower as fines are a nice little earner for the police and Qld drivers have a 6th sense for a speed camera. If you notice demonstrably better driving be very wary, you are approaching a speed camera. Australian's push in rather than give way which is just the way they've been taught over here. The scariest thing is when you chance the lights and drive through amber, look in your rear window and you'll see one or two drivers coming through behind you. If you slow and stop at amber you're likely to be rear ended. Walking through the CBD, I saw a woman plough through the red and scatter pedestrians, giving a cheery wave as way of apology. No-one batted an eyelid - In the UK they'd have probably given her a lot of abuse. I live in a posh area now and one indication is that drivers stop at pedestrian crossings, even if you are not a child, elderly person or a woman with a pram....

Are you inferring from this law that undertaking is illegal or just that you should keep out of the right lane unless overtaking ?

Not inferring anything just pointing out the laws

Noone takes any notice lol

It's best on an evening when really quiet and you get the same

Cars driving in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lanes all alone

Not inferring anything just pointing out the laws

Noone takes any notice lol

It's best on an evening when really quiet and you get the same

Cars driving in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lanes all alone

Yes, just wasn't sure whether the topic was whether undertaking is legal or must not travel in right lane if overtaking.

For the record for anyone else reading, undertaking is legal in Australia when marked lanes exist. As Howard points out you shouldn't sit in the right lane unless overtaking.

I think we could do with the undertaking law over here to enforce lane discipline via peer pressure (i.e. get rid of the middle/right lane hoggers) but as it stands at the moment it is totally legal and expected. I remember one British immigrant who didn't look in her mirror when merging left and crashed into another car because she said they shouldn't be undertaking...even though that law is unheard of in Australia :)

Edited by fish.01

In the UK, you're pretty much left alone in the slow lane of the motorway, here idiots tailgate you.. Indication seems too much bother and we have been in a number of near misses with people changing lines, not giving way at roundabouts and pulling out of stationary parks without indication. Speed is lower as fines are a nice little earner for the police and Qld drivers have a 6th sense for a speed camera. If you notice demonstrably better driving be very wary, you are approaching a speed camera. Australian's push in rather than give way which is just the way they've been taught over here. The scariest thing is when you chance the lights and drive through amber, look in your rear window and you'll see one or two drivers coming through behind you. If you slow and stop at amber you're likely to be rear ended. Walking through the CBD, I saw a woman plough through the red and scatter pedestrians, giving a cheery wave as way of apology. No-one batted an eyelid - In the UK they'd have probably given her a lot of abuse. I live in a posh area now and one indication is that drivers stop at pedestrian crossings, even if you are not a child, elderly person or a woman with a pram....

I reckon if you stopped on amber in England you are very likely to be rear ended too. In Surrey many cars go through on 'red' signals especially in commute times as drivers often allow for the lapse time on lights changing for the other direction at the intersection. Most cyclists in London regard traffic lights as advisory at best with a red light treated as 'proceed with caution'. Everything you describe here matches UK driver habits in my experience anyway. I am tail-gated almost every day on school run in the UK.

UK drivers allowing cars to join and merge is almost a unique idiosyncrasy to our island in my experience. Have not seen it as common practice anywhere else. Foreigners in the UK are initially bemused that flashing your lights normally is an invite to proceed rather than just a warning.

I reckon if you stopped on amber in England you are very likely to be rear ended too. In Surrey many cars go through on 'red' signals especially in commute times as drivers often allow for the lapse time on lights changing for the other direction at the intersection. Most cyclists in London regard traffic lights as advisory at best with a red light treated as 'proceed with caution'. Everything you describe here matches UK driver habits in my experience anyway. I am tail-gated almost every day on school run in the UK.

UK drivers allowing cars to join and merge is almost a unique idiosyncrasy to our island in my experience. Have not seen it as common practice anywhere else. Foreigners in the UK are initially bemused that flashing your lights normally is an invite to proceed rather than just a warning.

As an aside I flash my lights to let cars in all the time as others do for me. I was brought up to do this in Brisbane. My suburb wouldn't function without it as we have so many hilly ridge line streets. I must live in the polite part :) I have noticed aggression more when driving on large motorways like the M1 through Logan and beyond...

Edited by fish.01

As an aside I flash my lights to let cars in all the time as others do for me. I was brought up to do this in Brisbane. My suburb wouldn't function without it as we have so many hilly ridge line streets. I must live in the polite part :) I have noticed aggression more when driving on large motorways like the M1 through Logan and beyond...

Are you suggesting there is something dodgy about Logan? :wink:

Are you suggesting there is something dodgy about Logan? :wink:

I think it might have more to with the fact that 4 lanes go into 2 for a period before becoming 5...tempers seem to get a bit raggedy around there :) Though to be honest I actually do notice more aggressive tailgating hoons on the outskirts of Brisbane no matter what direction. Maybe it's because I am usually on large roads when out in those parts, not sure...?

Edited by fish.01

don't forget you can turn left at some red lights now in QLD. Bad idea, red should mean stop everywhere IMO

I agree. Pedestrians have enough to look out for without worrying about some drivers stretching this law to its limits like they have in the USA.

I find the inside lane to be the quietest on the road

3rd lane seems to be the driving lane lol

Say 3 weeks out of 4 we drive down to the Goldcoast on a Sunday arvo, most of the trip is done in the left hand lane at 100/110 kph, I don't believe that I should have to move over 3 lanes to the outside lane just to overtake a slower vehicle in the 3rd lane. Also I reckon if I wanted to do the trip quicker I would have to use all 4 lanes for weaving in and out of slower traffic.

Are you inferring from this law that undertaking is illegal or just that you should keep out of the right lane unless overtaking ?

From reading the rules in that link, then it is legal to undertake on a multi lane road and that it would be the car you undertake that is in the wrong (if on a multilane road with a speed limit of 90 or over). so what I do on a Sunday drive down to the Gold Coast is fine:cool:, just like driving in the USA.