Australians flock to Melbourne as Victoria becomes fastest growing state.

Parley

Are you happy about that Parley? I was so glad to leave Sydney, the crowds and the apartment blocks being built everywhere.

I had to go into the city the other day and it struck me how crowded it was. People everywhere.

I don't think anyone likes to think their place of residence is going to be overrun and ruin your livability.

But all cities will keep growing and the state has to allow for it.

I see it a little bit in my suburbs with dual occupancy places being built on the larger blocks.

On the positive side it should keep my home value up and I can sell it and downsize one day and maybe move to somewhere quieter.

Where I live it is nice though and I'm happy where I am.

I had to go into the city the other day and it struck me how crowded it was. People everywhere.

I don't think anyone likes to think their place of residence is going to be overrun and ruin your livability.

I see it a little bit in my suburbs with dual occupancy places being built on the larger blocks.

On the positive side it should keep my home value up and I can sell it and downsize one day and maybe move to somewhere quieter.

That's what we did. At least the years of slogging away in Sydney were worth it in the end. We were happy enough until the lads moved out and after that I was forever looking at houses for sale in Tasmania and day dreaming about living here.

It's madness. There should be a ban on immigration to Melbourne and also Adelaide and Perth. We just don't have enough water to supply the projected huge populations. Let anyone who wants to live here go up north where there is plenty of the stuff.

And theres me thinking you had VB coming out the taps!!

We lived in Melbourne for a couple of years, but glad we got out 3 years ago and now love it in Geelong: quiet area with a great community feel, spacious house on a decent block for half what it would cost in Melbourne - I commute there every day (very easy) and that is enough of a city 'fix' for me. House prices are accelerating up in Geelong now, certainly in the decent suburbs.

It's madness. There should be a ban on immigration to Melbourne and also Adelaide and Perth. We just don't have enough water to supply the projected huge populations. Let anyone who wants to live here go up north where there is plenty of the stuff.

Thats why they are building AWRP's now (Advanced Waste Water Treatment Plants). I was recently involved in the construction of one in Perth.

So within a few years Australia will be drinking receycled sewerage to sustain enough water for everyone.

I don't know where they got Perth's projected population growth figures from. Perhaps based on the amount of people coming into Perth during the boom. But there are more people leaving Perth now that moving in with 8000 rental properties lying vacant. Maybe they are all moving to Melbourne?!

We lived in Melbourne for a couple of years, but glad we got out 3 years ago and now love it in Geelong: quiet area with a great community feel, spacious house on a decent block for half what it would cost in Melbourne - I commute there every day (very easy) and that is enough of a city 'fix' for me. House prices are accelerating up in Geelong now, certainly in the decent suburbs.

Whats the commute like? We are looking around Seaford and its about 55mins into flinders St which everyone thought was too far. We looked at Geelong and thought the distances were similar..

I know several in recent years dislodged and headed to Melbourne from Perth. A family (ex South Africa)I don't know them, but the woman works with my partner and next week is her last at work as was made redundant in the recent job cull are claiming to be heading Melbourne as well. I can't recall anyone moving elsewhere within Australia for that matter. Melbourne certainly appears to have an attraction.

Thats why they are building AWRP's now (Advanced Waste Water Treatment Plants). I was recently involved in the construction of one in Perth.

So within a few years Australia will be drinking receycled sewerage to sustain enough water for everyone.

We already have a water treatment plant near us but the water is only used to supply golf courses, vegetable growers etc - there's no way people will drink recycled human waste. We have a desalination plant at Wonthaggi that cost mega billions and is costing a million dollars a week just to have sitting there just in case we run out of water. So far we haven't had to use a drop of water out of it. And if we do have to use it we will have to build another filthy polluting coal-fired generation plant just to supply its power.

I am old timer who has been here nearly 60 years and have seen the rainfall diminish alarmingly over the last 30 years. Our pond used to be deep enough for our horses to swim in it but for the last 20 years there hasn't been a drop of water in it.

We already have a water treatment plant near us but the water is only used to supply golf courses, vegetable growers etc - there's no way people will drink recycled human waste. We have a desalination plant at Wonthaggi that cost mega billions and is costing a million dollars a week just to have sitting there just in case we run out of water. So far we haven't had to use a drop of water out of it. And if we do have to use it we will have to build another filthy polluting coal-fired generation plant just to supply its power.

I am old timer who has been here nearly 60 years and have seen the rainfall diminish alarmingly over the last 30 years. Our pond used to be deep enough for our horses to swim in it but for the last 20 years there hasn't been a drop of water in it.

Unfortunately you are incorrect. I was recently at a talk about the future of advanced recycled waste water and we will be drinking it.

It likely won't be for quite some time but with the projected population increases it is planned to happen...

The Beenyup Wastewater Treatment Plant serves Perth’s rapidly developing

northern suburbs from Quinns Beach through to Scarborough and inland

through Dianella and Bayswater to the foothills east of Midland. It is an advanced

secondary treatment plant. Capacity is currently 120 million litres a day but it

will be ultimately developed to treat 200 million litres a day which can serve a

population of 1.1 million people. The treatment process is designed to minimise

environmental, public health and community impacts.

The wastewater is predominantly from household kitchens, bathrooms, toilets and

laundries. Wastewater entering the plant is more than 99 per cent water.

Like other wastewater treatment plants across the state, the Beenyup plant is subject to

regulation and licensing by the Department of Environment and Conservation.

Most of the treated wastewater from the Water Corporation’s metropolitan wastewater

treatment plants is discharged to the ocean, but our preference is to use this valuable

resource. In the longer term, the Water Corporation believes that most of Perth’s wastewater

can be recycled. By 2030 it is estimated that water recycling in Perth will exceed 30 per cent.

The Water Corporation believes that major advances in water recycling can be made

through large-scale recycling schemes such as:

Groundwater replenishment, where high quality recycled water is stored in

groundwater for use in drinking water supplies;

Recycling to industry; and

Providing recycled water to irrigate public parks, garden and for horticulture.

Australia's first groundwater replenishment trial will be located next to the Beenyup

Wastewater Treatment Plant. The trial will involve water from the Beenyup Wastewater

Treatment Plant being treated using ultrafiltration, reverse osmosis and ultraviolet

disinfection. To produce high quality water for recylcing. This water will be added to

an underground aquifer, where it will be further filtered by natural processes to safely

replenish groundwater. If this trial proves successful, it may result in more groundwater

being available for Perth’s drinking water supplies.

I'm afraid as usual people will do what they are told. Saying that Londoners have been consuming recycled waste water for many decades. Hardly a recommendation though. Doesn't taste great. Reason bottle water so popular and filters.

This is all just BS though really isn't it :-)

Melbourne has become Australia's biggest-growing city and is set to overtake Sydney as the country's biggest city in 2056, according to the latest Bureau of Statistics projections.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australians-flock-to-melbourne-as-victoria-becomes-australias-fastest-growing-state-20150625-ghxj27.html