Tony Abbott has done it, he's stopped the polls!

Harpodom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in trying economic times too the Liberals will be trusted more to handle the economy and get us back to a surplus by the end of the decade.

That is what seems to have happened in the UK.

Once we have got back to surplus we will no doubt let Labor have a go again and take us back to deficit.

This is how the wheel turns.

This is spot on!

[h=1]Bill Shorten waiting for perfect moment to start role as Opposition Leader[/h]

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/satire/bill-shorten-waiting-for-perfect-moment-to-start-role-as-opposition-leader-20150518-gh45uj.html\

Labor front man Bill Shorten will use the element of surprise as his main weapon against Tony Abbott and the coalition government, party insiders have revealed.

"Bill's waiting very patiently, very strategically for precisely the right moment to reveal himself as Opposition Leader," a party spokesperson said, labelling the strategy "opposition by stealth".

"It's like a cobra waiting for its prey. For the first 18-36 months you won't see him at all, and then all of a sudden - BAM! - there's an attack on government policy, BAM! there's a coherent message to voters. No one will see it coming. It's going to ruffle a lot of feathers."

When asked how much longer it may be before Mr Shorten begins his opposition leader role, the spokesperson said: "Well, that's under wraps, but soon. Possibly even before the next election."

Mr Shorten was in a strategic hide-out and unavailable for comment.

I think in trying economic times too the Liberals will be trusted more to handle the economy and get us back to a surplus by the end of the decade.

Once we have got back to surplus we will no doubt let Labor have a go again and take us back to deficit.

Yeh the Liberal government has really covered themselves in glory in WA. Come to that the Conservatives in the UK aren't doing that well with the UK deficit.

I suppose this is your response to the demise of the 'Abbot Govmint (sick) Gaffe Watch' thread which appears to have withered on the vine of Leftie hatred!

The budget we had to have. Better the Abbott than the Shorten who seems to have no clue and no policies at all.

The budget THEY had to have in order to gain some populist support after the dogs dinner of the previous years. Whatever happened to the crisis? I guess retaining power is more important than making up a crisis. Even if it does involve more debt.

Yep. The Conservatives over here in WA are certainly showing how the handle the economy. Blow the biggest boom in history and pile up the debt. As they say a nation consists of more than an economy. Even so the Con's are rather daring in their cavalier attitude to debt. Take a rather long time for anyone to put it right. Just as the national predictions to a return to surplus has next to buckley's of succeeding.

Have to say, I would not vote for the current state governmet again. They have blown it.

They have gone through the greatest boom the state has known. Knowing that in between booms, that state has suffered badly. Yet, now, here we are with an end of boom and nothing left in the coffers. I have no doubt the state will be saying that "only" getting 150% of GST will be the normal soon and complaining.

But hey, we get Elizabeth Quay. More empty offices. Oh, and the new plaza where the railway line will be buried - supposed to be a hub for new business, restaurant and general vigour. They have so far managed to sign up three restaurants. Burger places. Says everything.

From Roy Morgan:

“The Coalition Government has received a clear boost after last week’s Federal Budget with the L-NP rising to 49% (up 2.5%) cf. ALP 51% (down 2.5%) on a two-party preferred basis – the best performance for the Government for over a year since February 2014.

“In contrast to last year’s Federal Budget which led to an immediate fall in Government support, the Government approached this year’s Budget with the aim of finding ways to promote economic growth – through tax concessions to small businesses for instance – rather than focusing on cutting Government spending and the deficit as they did a year ago.

“This approach has certainly won the electorate’s approval – L-NP primary support (41.5%) is at its highest since December 2013 just after the last Federal Election. Unfortunately the Government’s plans to grow the economy and reduce the Federal Budget deficit depend on their forecasts of a higher rate of GDP growth. This is unlikely because the Abbott Government is relying on the ‘understated’ unemployment figures provided by the ABS when the real level of unemployment and under-employment in Australia is much higher – nearly 2.5 million Australians (19.4% of the workforce) according to the latest Roy Morgan April employment estimates

“The recent United Kingdom election result provides a stark ‘reality check’ for political parties in Australia. If political parties fail to present a coherent message about how they will create economic growth – and jobs for their citizens – the electorate will not reward them with a change of Government. The UK Labour Party led by Ed Miliband comprehensively lost the UK election because they failed to provide a credible alternative to the incumbent Government of David Cameron (Conservative).

“Miliband’s decision in the final week of the campaign to use a ‘stunt’ – that has been dubbed the ‘Ed Stone’ – an 8 foot 6 inch slab of limestone – to introduce the Labour Party’s policies – including raising taxes and increasing spending, fell flat because the UK electorate rightly judged that they were being treated like ‘fools’.

“The failure of polling companies in the UK was two-fold, they failed to pick up the late swing to the Cameron Government following Miliband’s ‘stunt’ (electors do change their minds) and undecided electors who comprehensively supported David Cameron in the final days of the campaign.

“Opposition Leader Bill Shorten risks making the same mistake as Miliband as Shorten is yet to provide a coherent vision of what he will do as Prime Minister and what his plans are to grow the economy and provide jobs for Australians that need them. The nearly 2.5 million Australians (19.4% of the workforce) looking for work or looking for more work – the unemployed and under-employed Australians – not more Government spending based on higher taxes, or ‘stunts’, like that performed by failed UK Opposition Labour Leader Ed Miliband.”

I think Roy Morgans comments re Ed Milliband and the failure of the UK Labour party to form a coherent message are quite apt, but he fails to mention the obvious: many people vote out of self interest rather than for the good of society or community. I think people say one thing when talking to a pollster, but when it comes to the secrecy of the ballot box, greed and self interest are just too bloody tempting for many!

Edited by Harpodom

I think Roy Morgans comments re Ed Milliband and the failure of the UK Labour party to form a coherent message are quite apt, but he fails to mention the obvious: many people vote out of self interest rather than for the good of society or community. I think people say one thing when talking to a pollster, but when it comes to the secrecy of the ballot box, greed and self interest are just too bloody tempting for many!

I think you could change that to most people Harpo. TBH that's the way I always vote. If I think someone is going to do good for the local neighbourhood then I would vote for them, if they were from one of the 2 major parties. I used to vote Labour all the time in Derbyshire as the Conservatives would hardly know where Derbyshire was. The local guy was Dennis Skinner. Born and bred in the area and cared about it.

It depends on how the poll is taken - over the phone, in person, with your identity hidden, whether the poll has leading questions - as most of yours do, well the poll is 'self selecting.' how many people are polled, how representative of the population as a whole the poll is. I've been learning some of this stuff on my course.

And in regard to the words that I have highlighted, 'HOW DO YOU KNOW?' (Unless you have conducted a poll along Roy Morgan's lines, rather than your own, of course.

Keep this thread alive. I want it to run and run as long as 'Abbo's govmint gaffo' thread. We could ask the mods to combine it perhaps?

Too hard to keep up with the number of gaffs and the twisting and turning and clueless state of political thinking in general in this country at the moment.

He did make a few gaffes but he seems to have learnt from his mistakes. Read SMH today for example (Fairfax NOT Rupert Murdoch remember!)

I think you could change that to most people Harpo. TBH that's the way I always vote. If I think someone is going to do good for the local neighbourhood then I would vote for them, if they were from one of the 2 major parties. I used to vote Labour all the time in Derbyshire as the Conservatives would hardly know where Derbyshire was. The local guy was Dennis Skinner. Born and bred in the area and cared about it.

A very well known politician. A Labour man of the old school and doubt few wouldn't have known where Derbyshire was when he was in Parliament.

I look at the local candidate too so change parties from time to time. Like 99.9% of people I vote for what will benefit our family. Charity begins at home.

No need to be living in angst of the big bad world. I think more than you suggest look beyond hip pocket into issues impacting outside the home. Sad old world if not the case.