Help. Pregnancy & Australia.

KimberleeG92

Hi I need some help. My husband has been offered a job in Australia very recently, and iv just found out im pregnant (very early stages). Does anyone know if health insurance will cover me as i have friends in America who had to pay $10,000 on top of their insurance to have their baby ..HELP PLEASE x x

Insurance generally covers pregnancy/maternity after a waiting/qualifying period of,for example,12 months. If you have not taken out the insurance already, then it is unlikely that it will cover you.

However, depending on your visa, your costs will be covered by medicare.

Edited by Sammy1

The public system here is very good, I have had both my children here. Do not worry if you cannot go privately and most of all do not worry too much at this stage.

I am sure somebody who has been on a 457 (from the UK) and who was not covered by insurance during pregnancy, will come along and offer advice soon.

Home births are not common here at all.

But yes, Medicare will cover you. My baby is nearly six months old, and I didn't have to pay for anything, and ended up with a private room for myself and my partner for two nights.

Even if insurance covered you here, most people still end up paying thousands, so Medicare is a better bet anyway.

You obviously won't be entitled to any financial help though.

Congratulations. :-)

Home births are not common here at all.

But yes, Medicare will cover you. My baby is nearly six months old, and I didn't have to pay for anything, and ended up with a private room for myself and my partner for two nights.

Even if insurance covered you here, most people still end up paying thousands, so Medicare is a better bet anyway.

You obviously won't be entitled to any financial help though.

Congratulations. :-)

My Daughter had a private room too last August .I thought that was unusual but clearly not then. I had to pay for a private room in the UK for my eldest! Funny how things work out.

The hospital I was at have a number of private rooms. Apparently most people get one, but they have some over flow rooms if they are very busy with two people in.

The care I got here was great. I've not had one in the UK, but many of my friends have or are (we are all at that age lol) and it sounds like my experience was superior to most there. They were all very jelous when I put the videos of my scans on facebook (also all free).

Where are you moving to? If it happens to be Perth the obstetrics suites in Fiona Stanley Hospital (a public hospital) are out of this world. I had my son in the UK - a ward of about 10 people and one manky shower between us! I worked on the infrastructure of FSH and we got a tour whilst it was still under construction - it was really hard to believe it was a public hospital.

You can claim Medicare under the reciprocal health agreement whilst on a 457 visa http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/health-care-for-visitors-to-australia - the only thing you need to look into though is whether you will qualify as you are pregnant before the visa is issued.

Have you already had your medicals? If not, that could be tricky as you should not have a chest X-ray whilst you're pregnant.

The last time I was in Scotland (3 years ago) I visited my cousin's daughter in hospital. She had just given birth to a wee boy. She had a private room with ensuite. This was in the Cresswell Maternity Unit at the Dumfries And Galloway Royal Infirmary. Both my parents were ill there before they died and they both had private rooms with ensuite. The care patients receive in that hospital is second to none and all on the NHS.

Hi I need some help. My husband has been offered a job in Australia very recently, and iv just found out im pregnant (very early stages). Does anyone know if health insurance will cover me as i have friends in America who had to pay $10,000 on top of their insurance to have their baby ..HELP PLEASE x x

Hi ,

Im in a similar situation to you although I am a UK resident. I have a PR visa 190 and we have booked flights for July 2015 and booked our shipping container and told employers and then I find out I'm pregnant due in October 2015

As you can imagine family have been devastated and they were all hoping that it would mean we would not be going.

I have been very ill with morning sickness which is lasting all day and I'm not looking forward to being pregnant on a 24hour flight but this is our dream and we have decided to have the baby in Adelaide.

As I am a UK resident all i have to pay for is blood tests and ultrasound because if an Ozzie had a baby in the UK it would be free and they NHS would not charge her government- apparently theres an agreement between both countries.

medi care will cover most costs. through a lot of research i have discovered that there is no real difference between private and medicare apart from the big cost. one lady i spoke to ended up giving birth with a midwife despite paying for a doctor who was out on his boat and missed the birth but she still paid her huge fee!

Which part of Australia are you going to? Just register for medicare as soon as your plane lands and look at local hospitals and GP practices.

good luck

457 sponsored working visa we will have. Im worrying now!

hi,

i am new to this forum..as far as i know if you are having 457 visa you wont be able to get medicare card..then your pregnancy wont be covered..and in the case of insurance i think ,you need to have 12 months of waiting period to get pregnancy covered..please double check..so i think your pregnancy wont get covered through any madicare and insurance.and also i dont know if there is any change because you are from UK..i am sorry if the information i gave is wrong

Thank you thats really helpful. No one in my family knows i am pregnant as i have had 4 pregnancy and only ended in a birth unfortunatly so its a secret until im 3 months which is even harder. We are only at the start of the visa process and im stressed already...were moving to...wait for it...Kalgoorlie ! lol lots of people have a love or hate for it but were willing to try it our little girl is 8 months so massive move..abd i know first thing i thought was 24 hour plane journey with a 1 year old she will be.

To be honest its hard to find alot of info on pregnancy cover in Oz i had a home birth with my daughter and had all my family in the house ...this will be a huge difference. Congratulations though i bet your excited !

I kmow we dont want to give up our chance to go we want to make it work so fingers crossed everything goes smoothly :-) !