Am I missing something?

Recently spent a month over in WA, first time in Oz. I have family out there. Basically I was really looking forward to going as I've always wanted to experience Australia.

Ive noticed that there are so many people emigrating there without even ever having been there before. So if your one of them it's probably healthy to get some mixed opinions on the place. Anyway here's my thoughts.

First of all, good things. Weather is marvellous. I can see how bringing kids up here would appeal to people, much more outdoorsy life, the beach after school/work is a winner. They have parrots, we have pigeons. Also, where we where there was a brilliant social circle, people really went out of there way to bother with one another, this is probably due to a lack of family, therefore substituting family with friends.

However, if took me about 5 days before I starting thinking 'surely this isn't it'.

I must admit, after spending a month there, I just don't get it. Australia is by far the overated place

I have ever been.

There is a distinct lack of culture, the food is terrible (fish and chips anyone?) extremely expensive, borderline backwards and I genuinely felt like I had stepped into a time machine and came out in 1962.

I really wanted to love Australia, it was a dream to go there. But I have never been so underwhelmed in my life. There is very little to do there. I'm glad I went because I actually find myself appreciating the UK a lot more.

I would love to visit again, but the East Coast where I've heard there is much more culture and things to see/do.

It's interesting browsing the forum because you very rarely see or hear anything negative about the place in everyday life, but there is a good mix of opinion on this forum.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently spent a month over in WA, first time in Oz. I have family out there. Basically I was really looking forward to going as I've always wanted to experience Australia.

Ive noticed that there are so many people emigrating there without even ever having been there before. So if your one of them it's probably healthy to get some mixed opinions on the place. Anyway here's my thoughts.

First of all, good things. Weather is marvellous. I can see how bringing kids up here would appeal to people, much more outdoorsy life, the beach after school/work is a winner. They have parrots, we have pigeons. Also, where we where there was a brilliant social circle, people really went out of there way to bother with one another, this is probably due to a lack of family, therefore substituting family with friends.

However, if took me about 5 days before I starting thinking 'surely this isn't it'.

I must admit, after spending a month there, I just don't get it. Australia is by far the overated place

I have ever been.

There is a distinct lack of culture, the food is terrible (fish and chips anyone?) extremely expensive, borderline backwards and I genuinely felt like I had stepped into a time machine and came out in 1962.

I really wanted to love Australia, it was a dream to go there. But I have never been so underwhelmed in my life. There is very little to do there. I'm glad I went because I actually find myself appreciating the UK a lot more.

I would love to visit again, but the East Coast where I've heard there is much more culture and things to see/do.

It's interesting browsing the forum because you very rarely see or hear anything negative about the place in everyday life, but there is a good mix of opinion on this forum.

Ah well it's not for everyone .

Recently spent a month over in WA, first time in Oz. I have family out there. Basically I was really looking forward to going as I've always wanted to experience Australia. Ive noticed that there are so many people emigrating there without even ever having been there before. So if your one of them it's probably healthy to get some mixed opinions on the place. Anyway here's my thoughts. First of all, good things. Weather is marvellous. I can see how bringing kids up here would appeal to people, much more outdoorsy life, the beach after school/work is a winner. They have parrots, we have pigeons. Also, where we where there was a brilliant social circle, people really went out of there way to bother with one another, this is probably due to a lack of family, therefore substituting family with friends. However, if took me about 5 days before I starting thinking 'surely this isn't it'. I must admit, after spending a month there, I just don't get it. Australia is by far the overated place I have ever been. There is a distinct lack of culture, the food is terrible (fish and chips anyone?) extremely expensive, borderline backwards and I genuinely felt like I had stepped into a time machine and came out in 1962. I really wanted to love Australia, it was a dream to go there. But I have never been so underwhelmed in my life. There is very little to do there. I'm glad I went because I actually find myself appreciating the UK a lot more. I would love to visit again, but the East Coast where I've heard there is much more culture and things to see/do. It's interesting browsing the forum because you very rarely see or hear anything negative about the place in everyday life, but there is a good mix of opinion on this forum.

I know exactly what you mean, Australia is no bettee or worse than England in my view.

Got to be careful having an opinion which contains anything but praise for Australia on here though.

Got to be careful having an opinion which contains anything but praise for Australia on here though.

Really ? i don't often comment on this type of post now a days but i must correct you on the above considering the majority of the forum contains negatives posts about Aus of late. In fact only today a new member has posted asking if anyone at all is happy and enjoying life here due to the amount of negatives.

Cal x

I know what you mean too...and im very glad i came out here,made me realise how advanced the uk is,i will appreciate the uk alot more,including the weather.its not just fish and chips,i find all the other food is awful too,not even pizza hut is the same here,i got half burnt pizza from them once!i dont expect that from pizza hut.

[quote name=1878;1936733739

I must admit' date=' after spending a month there, I just don't get it. Australia is by far the overated place

I have ever been.

There is a distinct lack of culture, the food is terrible (fish and chips anyone?) extremely expensive, borderline backwards and I genuinely felt like I had stepped into a time machine and came out in 1962

You should maybe change this to say Perth! Not all of Australia is the same as Perth.

Edited by AJ

Really ? i don't often comment on this type of post now a days but i must correct you on the above considering the majority of the forum contains negatives posts about Aus of late. In fact only today a new member has posted asking if anyone at all is happy and enjoying life here due to the amount of negatives.

Cal x

Sorry, I know it's not everyone. Just had a few narky responses in the last few days which left me feeling worse than I already was!

Sorry, I know it's not everyone. Just had a few narky responses in the last few days which left me feeling worse than I already was!

Don't let it get to you, as i said above i stopped replying to certain threads for a while, in all, over the years because i enjoy living here i've been told, Its because im from the north of England and its a dump, you must be backwards to live here, you must've had a crap life in the UK to enjoy it here,the list is endless,lol, you get used to the usual suspects and repetitive comments after you've been on here a while. LOL

Cal x

p.s,, rememebr to click the little triangle to the bottom left of a post if you feel your being attacked or a post is unfair and the mod team will review it and take action when necessary.

[h=2]Am I missing something?[/h]Recently spent a month over in WA, first time in Oz.......... Basically I was really looking forward to going as I've always wanted to experience Australia.

Yes, you are missing something. You haven't experienced Australia....you've experienced WA.

Not sure how you can slate the cuisine. Within a k or 2 of my place I can eat:

Indian

Mexican

Australian

Japanese

Chinese

Malaysian

American

Thai

Vietnamese

French

Turkish

Italian

Even a British/Irish chippy.

Cal x

I wouldn't be surprised if in part the new reality with the economic climate may have something to do with the increase in negative reports. When people are earning more than ever thought possible where they left from other aspects may diminish like the insane costs and somewhat repetitive lifestyle.

So what else did you do for a month? Just eat fish and chips with your family and friends? No exploring? Sightseeing? Museums? Fishing? Beaches?

Quite possibly reflects the remoteness of the area the poster lived in. At a guess possibly one of the outer reaches of empire, aka, one of Perth's newish estates where little else is within easy reach. Not without a car as public transport possibly near non existent or at best limited.

Indian

Mexican

Australian

Japanese

Chinese

Malaysian

American

Thai

Vietnamese

French

Turkish

Italian

This is true, there is lots of choice out there if you want take away or to dine out, but i must say i agree with the op in that the Aussie fish and chips are bobbins in comparison to what we know / have grown up with,lol.. The exception of course being Chumley Warners,lol

Cal x

Indian

Mexican

Australian

Japanese

Chinese

Malaysian

American

Thai

Vietnamese

French

Turkish

Italian

None are any good though,in my experience

Eating out though hardly cheap. Not all the international cuisine up to scratch either.

Maybe in Perth?...

Most visitors have expressed that the food is better in general in Australia. Probably not as cheap at lower end of market, but I find middle of the market better quality and similarly priced.

This is true, there is lots of choice out there if you want take away or to dine out, but i must say i agree with the op in that the Aussie fish and chips are bobbins in comparison to what we know / have grown up with,lol.. The exception of course being Chumley Warners,lol

Cal x

And that is the crux of it all Cal is it not, be it food, infrastructure, culture or whatever! not you personally but there are people out there that would rather bag than accept the differences.

Food is no different to the UK really, you can have a good indian or a bad indian, a burnt Pizza or a perfect one, there are so many variables. Regarding Culture then comparing a country that has, for arguments sake, only some 200 years of western influence compared to thousands of years in Europe then you do not need to be a rocket scientist to be able to understand that there is going to be such a drastic difference!

Australia is Australia! love it or leave it as the saying goes.

I consider myself reasonably intelligent, but what is culture? How do you discover if a country or place is missing it? I've been here four years and don't feel any different than being in Europe.

People who criticise the food often cite missing the 10 quid deals at M&S or the readimeals at Tesco - go figure.. I personally believe you have to get off the plane looking forward. Australia is now the life you have chosen and you need to put everything into building that new life, so it's the best it can possibly be. If you spend your time comparing, or looking over your shoulder at what you miss about your old life, it will be twice as hard to adapt.

I have ever been.

There are some contradictions in your views. For intance, you mention 'marvellous weather', 'much more outdoorsy life', 'beach after school/work is a winner', 'parrots instead of pigeons', and 'a brilliant social circle.'

But then you say you were 'never so underwhelmed in your life' by the 'distinct lack of culture', 'terrible food' 'extremely expensive', 'borderline backwards' (What does that mean?) and feeling of 'stepped into a time machine and came out in 1962.'

So, after enthusing about five good things, you then mention five bad things, and conclude that the five good things are not just cancelled out, but 'annihilated' (my words) by the five bad things. I would have thought that those good things might have been enough for you to have a good time.

I don't know what you mean by 'distinct lack of culture?' Did you go to the theatre or to a concert or a museum or an art gallery whilst you were there?

Anyway, Australia is obviously not for you, and I would advize against travelling to the east coast because you will just meet more of the same 'five bad things.'

I have ever been.

You've not missed a thing, look at it as money well spent

To me it's about experiences not utopia. I have spent 32 years in the UK I want to experience new things, go to new places, learn about different ways of life... I believe it is the mindset of the individual and the expectation that is the issue. Australia to me wont just 'provide' a better quality of life. With a lot of hard work and time I believe I can offer my children a better way of life, by building new friendship groups and offer new experiences.

I know what you mean too...and im very glad i came out here,made me realise how advanced the uk is,i will appreciate the uk alot more,including the weather.its not just fish and chips,i find all the other food is awful too,not even pizza hut is the same here,i got half burnt pizza from them once!i dont expect that from pizza hut.

It must make it very difficult for you, not being able to use the 'backward' Australian services. I guess you have to fly home every time you need to see a dentist, doctor, or other professional?

It must make it very difficult for you, not being able to use the 'backward' Australian services. I guess you have to fly home every time you need to see a dentist, doctor, or other professional?
Since you mention dentist, I think the service you get here is far superior, yes you have to pay a lot for it but if the NHS had given the same standard of treatment that I receive now I wouldnt be using the dentist here so much!

Since you mention dentist, I think the service you get here is far superior, yes you have to pay a lot for it but if the NHS had given the same standard of treatment that I receive now I wouldnt be using the dentist here so much!

Hell yes, the dentists here are far superior to the NHS (maybe not to private) treatments.

Had resin repairs to my front teeth after getting hit in the face playing hockey and they need replacing every now and then, the quality of replacement here (Canberra and Melbourne) is outstanding.

Also, it's nice that the Aussie dentist actually tried matching the colour and shape of my front teeth instead of just filling the gap!