Dandenongs Foothills - suburbs?

KiwiKaye

Hi all,

We would like to buy a house at some point this year. Our budget will probably only be up to $450,000 and I have been looking at Upwey/Tecoma/Belgrave and possibly Ferntree Gully. Mostly because I like the leafy semi-rural feel of these areas.

Is there anyone living in these areas? Mostly I would be really grateful for feedback on living in these towns and schools. We have an 11 year old (grade 6 this year) and a 7 yo, so need primary and secondary. Anyone know what Upwey HS is like?

We will also both be working in town, so realistic ideas on commute times would be good too. PTV website seems to estimate around 60 minutes on the train with an additional 15mins for OH to get down St Kilda Road. What is driving like at say 7am into the city?

Thanks for any help.

Upper Ferntree Gully is pretty and you don't have to keep driving up the mountain. It has a train station. Some of the hills areas are a bit bogan, so to speak. Ferny Creek, Tecoma etc are very pretty but a bit of a hike- also beware of bushfires in Summer. Could also check out Montrose and parts of Kilsyth (off Mt Dandenong Rd eg Alpine Way area) Primary Schools like Mt Dandenong etc are ok- not so sure about the secondary schools up that way- some don't have a good reputation.

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

We would like to buy a house at some point this year. Our budget will probably only be up to $450,000 and I have been looking at Upwey/Tecoma/Belgrave and possibly Ferntree Gully. Mostly because I like the leafy semi-rural feel of these areas.

Is there anyone living in these areas? Mostly I would be really grateful for feedback on living in these towns and schools. We have an 11 year old (grade 6 this year) and a 7 yo, so need primary and secondary. Anyone know what Upwey HS is like?

We will also both be working in town, so realistic ideas on commute times would be good too. PTV website seems to estimate around 60 minutes on the train with an additional 15mins for OH to get down St Kilda Road. What is driving like at say 7am into the city?

Thanks for any help.

I have a few friends in Ferntree Gully and its a bit safer from the bushfire point of view and also near to the hills. And it is within your 60 minute commute range. If you start at 7 Am, you might escape the traffic jam in most part until you are nearer to the city.