Update living on the Gold Coast 7 weeks now

zk2102

Thought I'd post a quick update about our move to the Goldie.

Been a hectic month and a bit. We stayed in a rental in Runaway Bay for two weeks on arrival. The apartment was an absolute tip. I didn't even want to sit on the sofa, absolutely minging. I think if we hadn't already have visited the GC a couple of years ago it could quite possibly have unsettled us from the start. After a quick chat with the management ie. we're out of here they miraculously found us another modern and contemporary unit on the ground floor!

Spent a lot of time in those first weeks trying to sort out a rental and Medicare etc, etc...

We wanted our son to go to Helensvale Primary and quickly realised that a rental in the catchment area was nigh on impossible. So.....and I know most people will probably think we're absolutely nuts, we bought a house!! We had previously done a lot of research on the suburbs and knew exactly where we wanted to be.

We'd spent our entire married life in the UK buying tips and spending all our spare time and cash (we racked up a lot of debt) and can now reap the benefits. We knew as soon as we saw the house that if we got it for the right price it would be a sound investment. Fortunately for us the owner needed to be somewhere else and accepted a silly offer and we can also live here rent free till the legal stuff is done.

Our son settled really well into school. He loves his teacher and the informal vibe about the surroundings. The other kids still keep asking him to say things just to hear his accent. He's made friends and has already been out and about with them. It wasn't until the second week of us moving into the house that he realised his best mate also lives next door to us!

Our 18 year old daughter struggled for a while. We made sure that we always had something planned so that she had something to look forward to. She applied to University of Queensland and has been offered a place due to her op score. Converting A levels into the equivalent is a serious headache and not for the feint hearted. We also visited the Halls of residence which are a lot like the US system rather than ours.There're called colleges and each has their own sports teams etc. She's really keen to get there and start making friends but it doesn't start until February!

Meanwhile she's applied for a job at dreamworld and has been called for a second interview so we're keeping everything crossed for her.

my husband was extremely lucky to secure a job with a Brisbane Council before we arrived. He started a couple of weeks ago and so far is enjoying the change. The commute from a Helensvale to Brisbane could be a bit better if the bus stop wasn't a 15min walk away! The first bus isn't until 6.54am and the last be back leaves at 5.30pm. Been a bit of a juggling act dropping everyone off and picking up at various times of the day. Will be a lot easier when his bike arrives in the container on Thursday.

There's only 1 cab company herein the GC! My husband waited over two hours for one to pick him up from Pacific Pines Tavern! We've spoken to people who live in Coomera who have told us that sometimes the cabs won't even bother to turn up if they get a more central fare. On the plus side though, the local Taverns all provide courtesy buses which are a brilliant idea if you live in the local area.

We're all slowly building up a network of friends. This really is the hardest part. Don't under estimate just how much you take for granted the easy conversation you're used to having with your besties. The Facebook sites for expats have been a godsend. The people on them are so amazing. I've been to lots of events and have started to meet some really lovely folks. We have full diaries now for the coming weekends to do things with people we've met. Some f them have been here years and other, like us, just of the plane.

There are also lots and lots of free events that happen in the Gold Coast. It's great taking advantage of these and if you take a picnic with u or something to BBQ it doesn't cost a penny.

I'm also going to say that our Aussie neighbours are among the friendliest we've ever had! I know a lot a comments go on about how they can be a bit of a closed community but they have gone out of their way to be most welcoming. We've been round for drinks and they've loaned us stuff till our container arrives. They were really hoping that a family moved into our house and all the kids play outside together. That's the neighbours either side of us and down the road.

So far it's all been good. I had a moment or two when I've felt a little bit low but the good stuff more than makes up for it. Was it a good move for us? So far yes but still early doors so who knows.

btw...the TV is really, really bad!!!

Thought I'd post a quick update about our move to the Goldie.

Been a hectic month and a bit. We stayed in a rental in Runaway Bay for two weeks on arrival. The apartment was an absolute tip. I didn't even want to sit on the sofa, absolutely minging. I think if we hadn't already have visited the GC a couple of years ago it could quite possibly have unsettled us from the start. After a quick chat with the management ie. we're out of here they miraculously found us another modern and contemporary unit on the ground floor!

Spent a lot of time in those first weeks trying to sort out a rental and Medicare etc, etc...

We wanted our son to go to Helensvale Primary and quickly realised that a rental in the catchment area was nigh on impossible. So.....and I know most people will probably think we're absolutely nuts, we bought a house!! We had previously done a lot of research on the suburbs and knew exactly where we wanted to be.

We'd spent our entire married life in the UK buying tips and spending all our spare time and cash (we racked up a lot of debt) and can now reap the benefits. We knew as soon as we saw the house that if we got it for the right price it would be a sound investment. Fortunately for us the owner needed to be somewhere else and accepted a silly offer and we can also live here rent free till the legal stuff is done.

Our son settled really well into school. He loves his teacher and the informal vibe about the surroundings. The other kids still keep asking him to say things just to hear his accent. He's made friends and has already been out and about with them. It wasn't until the second week of us moving into the house that he realised his best mate also lives next door to us!

Our 18 year old daughter struggled for a while. We made sure that we always had something planned so that she had something to look forward to. She applied to University of Queensland and has been offered a place due to her op score. Converting A levels into the equivalent is a serious headache and not for the feint hearted. We also visited the Halls of residence which are a lot like the US system rather than ours.There're called colleges and each has their own sports teams etc. She's really keen to get there and start making friends but it doesn't start until February!

Meanwhile she's applied for a job at dreamworld and has been called for a second interview so we're keeping everything crossed for her.

my husband was extremely lucky to secure a job with a Brisbane Council before we arrived. He started a couple of weeks ago and so far is enjoying the change. The commute from a Helensvale to Brisbane could be a bit better if the bus stop wasn't a 15min walk away! The first bus isn't until 6.54am and the last be back leaves at 5.30pm. Been a bit of a juggling act dropping everyone off and picking up at various times of the day. Will be a lot easier when his bike arrives in the container on Thursday.

There's only 1 cab company herein the GC! My husband waited over two hours for one to pick him up from Pacific Pines Tavern! We've spoken to people who live in Coomera who have told us that sometimes the cabs won't even bother to turn up if they get a more central fare. On the plus side though, the local Taverns all provide courtesy buses which are a brilliant idea if you live in the local area.

We're all slowly building up a network of friends. This really is the hardest part. Don't under estimate just how much you take for granted the easy conversation you're used to having with your besties. The Facebook sites for expats have been a godsend. The people on them are so amazing. I've been to lots of events and have started to meet some really lovely folks. We have full diaries now for the coming weekends to do things with people we've met. Some f them have been here years and other, like us, just of the plane.

There are also lots and lots of free events that happen in the Gold Coast. It's great taking advantage of these and if you take a picnic with u or something to BBQ it doesn't cost a penny.

I'm also going to say that our Aussie neighbours are among the friendliest we've ever had! I know a lot a comments go on about how they can be a bit of a closed community but they have gone out of their way to be most welcoming. We've been round for drinks and they've loaned us stuff till our container arrives. They were really hoping that a family moved into our house and all the kids play outside together. That's the neighbours either side of us and down the road.

So far it's all been good. I had a moment or two when I've felt a little bit low but the good stuff more than makes up for it. Was it a good move for us? So far yes but still early doors so who knows.

On the coast and worrying about TV???

Congratulations on your new home, we bought after we had been here a few months, like you we bought in the area we thought we would like and 7 years later we are still here. I do think you settle in better when its your home and your free to change it to suit you..

Thanks for the update

Cal x

Ah yes, GCC - I'd forgotten about them, useless - you can use their app to book then watch the driver approach you & then get a better booking and head off the other way - never rely on them.

Too true.

Welcome to 4212, sounds like you're doing great well done & glad your husband is managing the commute, we've done it for 3.5 years...

Hi Freebo.

We're at Sanctuary Cove Holiday Inn this Saturday with some friends who are members. We're only in Oyster Cove so not far. Lovely part of the world :)

Yep, we owned a house in Oyster cove on Saltwater creek, lovely area. Now we live on a golf course (renting while we build in SC), not on water any more but we do have kangaroo's on the lawn and a golf buggy to drive to the pub in, sometimes you forget & just take it all for granted but it is a great area to live in.

Yep, we owned a house in Oyster cove on Saltwater creek, lovely area. Now we live on a golf course (renting while we build in SC), not on water any more but we do have kangaroo's on the lawn and a golf buggy to drive to the pub in, sometimes you forget & just take it all for granted but it is a great area to live in.

I can't get enough of the roo's. Still really

sureal seeing them hopping about!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My husband has just been offered a job in Southport and we're going to be flying out in January. Now the mammoth job is beginning with the search for where to live. We have a 4 year old, who will be starting school on Oz in Jan/Feb and a 1 year old. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to live and where I can find more information out about schools? Any help would be much appreciated and if anyone would like to meet up when we arrive, that would be great.

Jane x