What does it take to make a REALLY successful British migrant in Australia?

Harpodom

A love of 'water sports'?

Coming from a $hit part of Britain?

A hatred of cold weather?

Being married to an Australian?

A hankering for 'the good old days'?

A deep sense of self loathing?

Being 'anti immigration'?

A positive attitude?

Being a disaffected tradie?

Having eye-wateringly right wing political views?

WHICH ONE??! Or have I missed anything?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we're not a beach loving family and ain't into water sports either and the only thing on your list I guess we had was a positive attitude and willingness to be open to change. Had we not liked it, we certainly wouldn't have seen it as a failure, just something that wasn't for us. Migrating hadn't been a dream or anything and we had the idea after visiting my brother on holiday ... my hubby said "I could live there" (Australia) and that was it

A passion for pies - I believe that the Gold Coast will shortly have a pie-related theme park called Pie-Land. Heaven! I've had it on good authority that the Chicken and Mushroom Traveller Ride simply pisses all over anything that Alton Towers has got.

Owning large numbers of vehicles which can stow or drag stuff. The more the better in my opinion. Something which makes use of the awesomely cheap petrol prices in Australia and can fit in a family of four, a dog, a beer fridge, a Hills Hoist, and a BBQ the size of Mount Martha and enough food to last a nuclear winter, for that perfect weekend away at Bonnydoon.

A loathing for environmentalists. Seriously, this is our country. Well it is now we've moved here, and we don't want to hear any more of that greeny **** that you get from Sarah Hanson-Young when we're burning old plasma tellys in our back yards because they're a year old. We're right, she's wrong, and if she happens to be right, then we'll have carked it anyway by the time that Perth becomes the Venice of the Southern Hemisphere. She should just get herself a bloke and have some babies and leave the thinking to us.

Edited by User70277

A positive attitude?

Which one are you on the list?

I love swimming, but I'm not into water sports.

I'm not married to an Australian, unless it is in wider sense of being both a keen 'player' and an equally keen 'supporter' of 'Team Australia, i.e, 'married' to the essence, whatever you want to call it, of 'being' an Aussie.

I come from The New Forest, hardly a **** part of Britain, unless you particularly hate living in the 'truest of a true blue' Tory seat?

I don't like cold weather particularly, but I went back to England for twelve years and coped with everything the winter could throw at me, apart from driving in the snow, and walking on icy pavements!

Anybody who comes to Australia because they are anti-immigration is in for a very rude shock. I doubt whether there is any city in the UK, London apart, that is more multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, than Sydney (or Melbourne.)

Disaffected tradies? I don't know what this means?

Hankering for the good old days? Well, most of us become more conservative as we grow older, and in any case, why is contstant change, the best policy for a country? People who advocate constant change, care nothing for what is actually achieved, or what is destroyed, and blame the negative results on everybody except themselves.

A positive attitude? I would generally say that a person who is successful in their life in the UK, will also be successful in Australia, but we all have to deal with being thousands of miles away from our families.

Self loathing? People who hate themselves won't do very well in Australia! How did you go yourself?

Brilliant thread Harpo....

I'm loving it cos ive got year round sunshine....and not inundated with benefit claiming migrants:smile:

or maybe its because I'm a person that goes with the flow and happy to try new adventures.....bit of both me thinks:twitcy:

apart from the pies:nah: I am that person Endless Winter describes...we have a ute n a SUV (but we did have a ute in the UK too)

we love to trailer stuff about, motoXbikes, quads, jet skis, camping equipment...and yes we have two large dogs poking out from the tray too.

Yep count me in for days at the beach, environmentalists....what's that about, just another excuse to tax anything and everthing.

why am I a successful migrant....maybe cos I don't fcking moan all the time about what's wrong with Oz. **** happens. Your still alive.

Well, not the eye watering right wing politics - that's me! Maybe it's cos I'm not a disaffected tradie from a British sh*thole with an aversion to British weather! I'm married to an Aussie so that's not it either. Maybe it's just in the genes.

A positive attitude?

......I think you've missed loads tbh.....

.......all of the above could be reasons for many.......

......but what about adventure......?

......wanting to just try a different place.....

.......to see whats different.....

.......once the excitement of migration.......newness has worn off.....

.......it's just about living .......

.......making sure you can.......

........and excepting that maybe......just maybe.......

.........it's for a time not forever.........for some........

.........it's the setting the .....forever......

.........that often causes the heartache......IMO....

........you've put a list that doesn't have to be adhered to.....tongue in cheek I know !

.........but it's this adapt or you won't fit in that causes some to feel alien......

..........there's no need......ime....

...........where ever you are.........migrant or not......

...........it's the ability to be yourself........

...........whilst accepting things may be different.......

...........being able to adapt......without loosing your identity.....

...........and being able to say.......

...........if things don't work out.....

............it was an adventure that shaped my life........not a failure....

.............a successful migrant.......

..............would be a successful person.....where ever they were......!

...............perhaps it's just a mindset......!

................tink X

A positive attitude?

I think you have described everything I think you are, was, think, spot on that maaaate

Brilliant thread Harpo....

I'm loving it cos ive got year round sunshine....and not inundated with benefit claiming migrants:smile:

or maybe its because I'm a person that goes with the flow and happy to try new adventures.....bit of both me thinks:twitcy:

apart from the pies:nah: I am that person Endless Winter describes...we have a ute n a SUV (but we did have a ute in the UK too)

we love to trailer stuff about, motoXbikes, quads, jet skis, camping equipment...and yes we have two large dogs poking out from the tray too.

Yep count me in for days at the beach, environmentalists....what's that about, just another excuse to tax anything and everthing.

why am I a successful migrant....maybe cos I don't fcking moan all the time about what's wrong with Oz. **** happens. Your still alive.

Becoming a proper bogan you ;)

I don't think having an Australian partner necesarily helps. It certainly didn't in my case, I think going with someone from the same background who also goes with an open mind is better. That said I know there have been cases where one person is desperate to go home but the other loves it and it causes problems.

The main thing you'll need is to accept that you are a long long way from home or anywhere in fact, which you might be looking for anyway. Everything is so far away not only from home but from anywhere even in Asia or Australia. Take Perth for example, if you are happy staying put save for going to Margaret River for a few days everytime you want a break then you will probably get on fine. I would expect that is more suited to families who want little more than to spend quality time with other and aren't fussed about wider family or friends or going to new places.

It is also worth realising that Australia is huge and places vary so much, so having an idea of what you are after should help you decide where to go. eg if year round warm weather is important head to Queensland, if you are happy with a cooler more UK climate but a great city that doesn't feel crowded or expensive head to Melbourne.

The only things on that list that apply to me are; a positive attitude and dislike of cold weather (hatred too strong a word)

I dont hate tne the UK, nor do I think Australia is utopia. I think I'm a successful migrant because I've made the most of opportunities that have come my way and I'm lucky not to be gripped by homesickness.

I focus on the things I enjoy here (beautiful bush, beaches, sky, sun) rather than the things I dislike.

Well speaking from someone who has not been a successful migrant and comparing myself to my 2 sisters who have been I would say that they both possess more selfishness (not in a nasty sense of the word) complete disinterest in social issues or world issues, more materialistic, and big desire to have the 'perfect' home with the big backyard - the Aussie dream! Also they both married Australians so that probably sealed the deal too.

I teed it up for you and you didn't disappoint!

:notworthy:

A passion for pies - I believe that the Gold Coast will shortly have a pie-related theme park called Pie-Land. Heaven! I've had it on good authority that the Chicken and Mushroom Traveller Ride simply pisses all over anything that Alton Towers has got.

Owning large numbers of vehicles which can stow or drag stuff. The more the better in my opinion. Something which makes use of the awesomely cheap petrol prices in Australia and can fit in a family of four, a dog, a beer fridge, a Hills Hoist, and a BBQ the size of Mount Martha and enough food to last a nuclear winter, for that perfect weekend away at Bonnydoon.

A loathing for environmentalists. Seriously, this is our country. Well it is now we've moved here, and we don't want to hear any more of that greeny **** that you get from Sarah Hanson-Young when we're burning old plasma tellys in our back yards because they're a year old. We're right, she's wrong, and if she happens to be right, then we'll have carked it anyway by the time that Perth becomes the Venice of the Southern Hemisphere. She should just get herself a bloke and have some babies and leave the thinking to us.